Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #41
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Just bought Camco adapter the plugs into a 30amp service and there is another plug built into the adapter that plugs into a 15amp service> this gives 45amps which runs both A/C's. This is a big help for us right now until I can find the time to have the problem looked at. There is not enough air flow from the vents to cool the camper using just one A/C. Some where some engineer dropped the ball when designing the A/C system for the Montana. We had a 2012 Montana which was a much better quality unit than the 2015 we have now.

Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #42
ICANALWAYSFIXIT

M.O.C. #20122
I have had to make changes to every camper I have purchased. If you look at the install manual for the AC it will tell you what they need to do to correct. My brand new Keystone 370BR Has two AC's based on the manuals there should be 12 vents in the ceiling. there are only 8. I also found the returned air duct crushed. Most of the time this can be fixed with some more vents and a little work with AC tape. Too bad the dealers and Keystone are not reading the AC install book.
ICANALWAYSFIXIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #43
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
every manufactures seems to cut corners. My 2004 Montana was much better. The facts are simply, this industry is booming so fast right now, its unbelievable, and they are just trying to get the units out the door, they accept the fact there are gonna be issues, and play the odds that it will happen out of warrantee, or get missed. No different than my new hours built 3 years ago, had a 1 year warrantee, and there is stuff wrong now that I'm not happy with, but that's the name of the game. I try and do all the repairs I can, because I will do it better then the service guy. I shouldn't have to, but sometimes its just less frustrating, of course. But then again, not my unit is out of warrantee, I have the extended. Sometimes though its just easier and less time consuming to figure it out. This forum and you tube are great for that.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #44
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
I know that this won't fix your A/C but might keep it from running so hard.When we go camping here in south east Texas ( Galveston Beach ) The only shade there is on the bottom of your flip flop's. I went to Home depot and bought a couple of roll's of insulation (like the one you put in your truck windshield) to help cool the camper and just cut to size and place between the glass and window shade. MAN What a difference it makes. Don't leave them in all the time just when the sun is on that side of the camper.
My A/C works good just trying to reduce as much heat from coming in. Give it a try .
Good luck Jeff.
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #45
TELECOOL
Established Member

M.O.C. #20130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
Just bought Camco adapter the plugs into a 30amp service and there is another plug built into the adapter that plugs into a 15amp service> this gives 45amps which runs both A/C's. This is a big help for us right now until I can find the time to have the problem looked at. There is not enough air flow from the vents to cool the camper using just one A/C. Some where some engineer dropped the ball when designing the A/C system for the Montana. We had a 2012 Montana which was a much better quality unit than the 2015 we have now.
To all concerned your main issues are ducting not sized correctly or not enough duct runs from unit if you don't get the correct amount of airflow out of the system you won't cool your trailer down. Also return air is a huge concern if it does s undersized you won't cool down very well the more return air flow you have the better you will be.
Thanks

Johnny V
TELECOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #46
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELECOOL View Post
To all concerned your main issues are ducting not sized correctly or not enough duct runs from unit if you don't get the correct amount of airflow out of the system you won't cool your trailer down. Also return air is a huge concern if it does s undersized you won't cool down very well the more return air flow you have the better you will be.
Thanks

Johnny V
I told Camping World that exact same thing, it needs more returns and more vents today when they tried to convince me it is pulling correct amps and blowing 50 degrees and was just fine.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #47
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
I told Camping World that exact same thing, it needs more returns and more vents today when they tried to convince me it is pulling correct amps and blowing 50 degrees and was just fine.
I`m not one to let my camper sit in the dealers lot for months or weeks during prime time waiting for Fred the tech to get motivated, so I just went to harbor freight and bought their cheap hole saw kit $18.00 for the 5 inch cut and bought several vents on line for 4.50 a piece and installed them my self, really simple and you don`t have to argue with someone to try to get them to do it. It did make a difference. The other thing that I feel was an improvement was I bought a 30 pint dehumidifier and tuck it in behind the dining chairs it is very quite and pulls a lot of water out of the air which is what makes you think your a/c isn`t cutting it. This proved it self down at Myrtle Beach last month.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #48
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Pretty sure that/this could potentially void all future warranty depending on the dealer. And 13 more days and Lemon Law kicks is and we decide if we walk away from this mess. Like the floor plan, hate the dealer and experience.
Monett, MO
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #49
fre1fred2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I`m not one to let my camper sit in the dealers lot for months or weeks during prime time waiting for Fred the tech to get motivated, so I just went to harbor freight and bought their cheap hole saw kit $18.00 for the 5 inch cut and bought several vents on line for 4.50 a piece and installed them my self, really simple and you don`t have to argue with someone to try to get them to do it. It did make a difference. The other thing that I feel was an improvement was I bought a 30 pint dehumidifier and tuck it in behind the dining chairs it is very quite and pulls a lot of water out of the air which is what makes you think your a/c isn`t cutting it. This proved it self down at Myrtle Beach last month.
If you don't mind, how did you access the return vent box/pipe or whatever the configuration is to tie your new return line into? I'm not familiar at all with RV duck work (but did install residential HVAC in my college years)
fre1fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #50
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

"If you don't mind, how did you access the return vent box/pipe or whatever the configuration is to tie your new return line into? I'm not familiar at all with RV duck work (but did install residential HVAC in my college years)"
Today 08:21 AM

take your grills off and put your cell phone in the holes, put it on camera, it makes a great periscope then you can make a plan on how and where to cut in new openings. When I cut in the new vents I put them very near the broken duct work that I spied with the cell phone and was able patch the duck work with HVAC aluminum tape. It was tight put manageable.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #51
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Jeff, did you conduct a pre-delivery inspection? I keep seeing these issues on the forum and wonder how thorough they were checked out by the new owners. I have had my rig for two years and certainly was no where near as thorough as I thought I was. I found one online some time back and saved it. If I ever get another new rig I will follow it to the letter. And...luckily for us we have a great dealer we use for service even though we didn't purchase from them. Best of luck resolving your issues.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #52
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former StClairSailor View Post
Jeff, did you conduct a pre-delivery inspection? I keep seeing these issues on the forum and wonder how thorough they were checked out by the new owners. I have had my rig for two years and certainly was no where near as thorough as I thought I was. I found one online some time back and saved it. If I ever get another new rig I will follow it to the letter. And...luckily for us we have a great dealer we use for service even though we didn't purchase from them. Best of luck resolving your issues.
Well I thought I did BUT I did not force them to park it in the sun, shades up, one air running and take in a heat gun and thermometer to check temps inside freezer (it felt cold) and refrigerator (it felt cold) and main cabin felt cold (again thermostat did not show indoor temp.) I checked hot water, cold water, stool, stove, microwave, seams on furniture material, shades, hydraulics, slides, slam latches, tvs, stereo, lights in and out, looked at all internal trim pieces, etc. About 2 hours inside and around camper in "their bay". Would be my 5th camper, I know you find little things on first trip but air and fridge were not noticeable issues at dealer while parked in bay.

I also will never sign on dotted line again for a particular VIN trailer (they have you on that unit even if it needs repairs) before doing a full inspection, outside, parked in a hot sun, and with a heat gun and meter with temp gauge in hand.
Monett, MO
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #53
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Oh, and camper has been at dealer since July 3rd... still not fixed.

I missed all vacation with wife, family and gradkids planned in July. Many traveled 11 hours from out of town to spend time with us at lake.
Monett, MO
Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #54
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Some things you do not notice until you are in it. We took a week close to home and found 1 item I could not do. It went in a day early on July 24. Said it would be a week unless the needed parts. If they need parts or will be as long as Keystone takes to get them plus 2-3 days. I'll go down and check next week if I don't hear from them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #55
denhammkc
Established Member

M.O.C. #18294
Any pics

Do you have any pics of the new drops and returns. I may do this myself just curious about plasement.
2011 RAM / airbags / Anderson Ult. hitch / 2017 Montana 3721RL/Disc brakes, oil-bath Timkin bearings, shocks, X-factor/Tank-less water heater and built in water softener/Barker auto drain valves/4x100 amp Battle born/Go-power 3000 whole rig inverter/all LED running lights and a lot more.
denhammkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #56
TELECOOL
Established Member

M.O.C. #20130
Montana ac issues

Hi guy’s sorry to still see the problems are still not being addressed by Keystone on these issues we added a 3rd ac unit to ours before we sold it in October. We bought a 43’ 2018 NEWMAR Ventana motorcoach coild not be any more happy now we have 3 ac units on It and it will freeze your tail off at 102 deg outside. Maybe Keystone needs to send someone to NEWMAR to see how to install ac units correctly. I’m so done with Keystone and their crappy customer service and excuses they need to own up to their faults and takecare of their customers.I had one little issue with a piece of trim that came loose inside my coach We took it in for repairs were it was corrected immediately plus while they had it NEWMAR called me several times to make sure we were happy and repairs were done satisfactory.These guys believe in customer service
TELECOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #57
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
Oh, and camper has been at dealer since July 3rd... still not fixed.

I missed all vacation with wife, family and gradkids planned in July. Many traveled 11 hours from out of town to spend time with us at lake.
Hello Jeff,

sorry for your experience.
Did you get it resolved?

Very scared on all the reading on Keystone Customer Service ...

Thanks Mike
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #58
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Did you get this resolved?

Though, your running 1 AC on a 40' unit on a 30 amp breaker, these rigs are 50 amp and the AC may be struggling a bit to keep up with it being 80 + outside . Have you tried your rig plugged into a 50 amp breaker and see how it cools the rig down? IMO, before you go ripping the ceiling down, I would try it in a 50 amp
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #59
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
Did you get this resolved?

Though, your running 1 AC on a 40' unit on a 30 amp breaker, these rigs are 50 amp and the AC may be struggling a bit to keep up with it being 80 + outside . Have you tried your rig plugged into a 50 amp breaker and see how it cools the rig down? IMO, before you go ripping the ceiling down, I would try it in a 50 amp
I bought an adapter that plugs into a 30amp socket and then part of it plugs into a 115amp. The adapter then plugs into the 50amp cord supplied with the camper. This gives 45 amps, enough to run both AC's
keeping the camper cool in hot weather. Use it a lot here in the deep south where we sometimes run into State Parks that have on only 30amp service.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #60
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
I bought an adapter that plugs into a 30amp socket and then part of it plugs into a 115amp. The adapter then plugs into the 50amp cord supplied with the camper. This gives 45 amps, enough to run both AC's
keeping the camper cool in hot weather. Use it a lot here in the deep south where we sometimes run into State Parks that have on only 30amp service.
What's the name of this device?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote