Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #41
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
David and Jo-Anna, my rig is coming out of the shop this am for exactly the same problem. I have the same rig as you. Since I am out of warranty I simply had the damage repaired at a welding shop and will pay for it myself. The welders said the area is not strong enough and they have reinforced it.

Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #42
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim,

If it were me I'd sure get in touch with Lippert, Mor-Ryde and Keystone to see if there is not something they could/would help with. A 2007 unit may still have some warranty left on it. Also since this seems to be a design fault they may be willing to jump in and help out. I'd sure check with them.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #43
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
David and Jim,

I think sending pictures and information on the failure to NHTSA might be a good idea. If this is a widespread problem with Lippert frames and Mor-ryde suspensions, it may include other brands of coaches and a safety recall might be warranted. I'm glad to hear both your coaches are repaired and usable. Safe travels!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #44
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Would you please post some pictures on what they did for the repair. Did they add gussets or did they box it. Very interesting on the other side being cracked as I had mention it and again we ALL need to inspect our units for this problem.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #45
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
David and Jo-Anna, we are glad to hear you are back on the road safe and sound.

Would love to see pictures of both sides of the beam after the fix. It looks pretty tight on the right side to add any stiffening on the outside because of the slide out mechanism.

Happy camping,
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #46
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
For those of you who requested pictures of the repairs:

Bracket fabricated to support frame on driver's side:

Driver's side support bracket installed:

Crossbar (2"x3") welded to plate attached to MorRyde equalizer on driver's side:

Crossbar (2"x3") going between MorRyde equalizers on driver's side and curb side:

Cross bar (2"x3") welded to plate bolted to curb side equalier:

Bracket fabricated to support frame rail on curb side - installed:

Support bracket cut to fit under slide on curb side - installed:

We want to thank everyone for your kind concern, advice, pm's and emails. MOC has certainly been good to us!!!!!

We are currently in Prince George on our way to Jasper - happy to be on the road again!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #47
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Looks like a nice fix David - like the crossbar.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #48
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Wow, what a job and what a fix. The cross tube is very interesting and very strong. You can now take the rig out to the figure 8 track with out any problem.

Thanks David for the great pictures.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #49
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
David,

That looks like a top-notch fix!! Maybe the OEMs could learn something here! I'm glad you're back on the road again.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #50
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
That is a really great fix. More extensive and much more expensive than mine. No pics but they added some gussets to mine. You got a great job David.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #51
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
So glad you are back on the road. Sad to hear that our manufactures are not stepping up and taking responsibility for at least some if not all of the repair costs. I also think sending pictures and information on the failure to NHTSA might be a good idea. If the manufactures would just support the frames properly in the first place we would not all be continually having to worry when on the road.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #52
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Looks like a very good repair to me. In fact, I would think if Keystone reads this thread, they might want to locate and hire the guy that repaired that. Much better than the original.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those guys know what it takes to run the Alaska Roads.The manufacturere will never put that kind of design money into a camper that will most likely never be used as some of us use them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #54
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Those guys know what it takes to run the Alaska Roads.The manufacturere will never put that kind of design money into a camper that will most likely never be used as some of us use them.
You're right, but one of these days, they (Keystone) will end up with a liability case that will have made it very economical to beef up those frames. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Even though they have insurance, a bad accident might well end up with awards above and beyond what insurance they have. How would you feel if you were a juror and saw those pictures of that flimsy frame design?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #55
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Wanted to let everyone know that we received an email today from Keystone Customer Service that they would be paying for the repairs to our rig. Score another big one for Team Montana--they step up to the plate again. Special thanks to the customer rep we dealt with, Brandon Tom, who not only got quick agreement from Keystone for this payment but also had the Keystone service tech on the phone with the welding shop up in British Columbia just a few hours after I called Keystone, which allowed the repair shop to confirm just what repairs would be made and to get those repairs underway ASAP. I'm working now with Brandon to try to setup a factory visit just before or after the MOC Rally next month so they can check things over and address some of the damage to the kitchen floor and cabinets that were beyond the capabilities of the welding shop in BC. That would allow us to attend the MOC Rally, which we would really love to do.

It's such a reassuring feeling everytime Team Montana comes thru for us!!! Glad we bought our Big Sky--no regrets whatsoever!!! And again we want to extend our heartfelt thanks for all the MOC members who helped us on this and provided support thru this episode. This forum is just tremendous!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #56
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
David,

Glad everything worked out on the repairs for you.

When you are at the factory and Rally drop the unit by Lippert so they can see the proper way to build A frame so no other future owners will have this problem.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #57
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Good to hear keystone got involved and accepted responsibility for the repair. Their support of serious and non-customer fault problems is one of the key reason I stayed with the Montana product. While I don't intend to ever nickle and dime them on minor issues, its comforting to know they will stand behind their product involving a major repair that is obviously not the customers fault.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #58
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have had a dealing with Brandon Tom and all I can say he is a SUPER PERSON and hopefully next year when we go to the rally I get to meet him. He is a asset to Keystone.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #59
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and JoAnna,

Glad to hear that Keystone has stepped up. That is great news. Have a great journey the rest of the way home.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
David and Jo-Anna,

That's super! I'm so glad Keystone stepped up for you on this issue. They were good to us about our roof problem last year at the rally and I'm glad they came through for you.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote