Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana is back in the driveway all problems repaired. Steps are better than OEM now. Cost was way under budget dealer did a great job.
we now need to install our new pendant lights over the kitchen counter they one by one fell off the ceiling and last month shorted out. The new ones are LED and studier.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #42
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Rich, we are full timers, traveled over 15,000 miles,this year. We have talked to others, all over the country and nobody has tank problems like y'all, do you have a theory for your failures?
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #43
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Think you just jinxed yourself greyghost... my repaired galley tank is still hanging in. I travel with nothing in my tanks and after the failure, I put in an external sensor monitor to keep track of things. I don't think the tank design used is up to carrying stuff with the minimal support as implemented by keystone. Just my view, but as an ex engineer, I also can relate to what shock loading will do to that top seam joint. John
Old 05-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #44
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We are fulltimers as well for the last 6 years and 3 Monty's and I have talked to alot of Monty owners over the years as well and have only talked to one Guy that had that complaint , But on this Forum some folks have had that happen for sure and Rich MANY MANY Times and some of his failures he was just Parked and some folks can have 3 or 4 Monty's and never have that split Tank problem ..I don't get it either but I am just glad it has not happened to me.....So Far
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Rich, we are full timers, traveled over 15,000 miles,this year. We have talked to others, all over the country and nobody has tank problems like y'all, do you have a theory for your failures?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Go over to the Montana face book page they seem to have more failures than here. Our failures were caused by poor tank design and improper installation. I am surprised that more have not been reported here. Anyhow we have another new black tank that is tank # 5 on this 3402 and black tank # 2.This one was my fault as I filled it to capacity for a good after Florida flush. Split at the top as usual.

We would keep our gray and galley tank closed when on site and when the water backed up into the sink or tub knew it was time to dump. We do not do that anymore after two gray and two galley tank failures. Many here do that and wait for that gross burp at the black tank before a dump. We never did that. Try doing a tank check. Fill them till they back up into the sink or tub and the black tank is right up to the top. They are holding tanks so they will hold....Not to worry.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #46
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Try doing a tank check. Fill them till they back up into the sink or tub and the black tank is right up to the top. They are holding tanks so they will hold....Not to worry.
NO THANX RICH you were already the Guinea pig on that test we will take your word for it
Old 05-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our first galley tank failure on this 13 3402 was a split right at a seam at the very bottom of the tank and had nothing to do with over filling it was just a defective tank you could see it was discolored right along the seam. The other tank failures were all at the top at the inlet pipe or along the top seam.Steve and Gina Young's tank failure was at the inlet pipe it had not been properly glued to the tank.

We will never fill these tank to capacity or near capacity.They will fail.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are as of today 100% operational on the 13 3402 Big Sky. Installed the broken ladder and reinstalled the rear view camera this afternoon.

Black tank replacement, step repair, replacement ladder, routine maint, check brakes, grease, etc 1500.00 to the dealer. Rear window graphic in a attempt to cut down on heat via the rear window and awning on the main slide for the same reason in the hope of improving A/C efficiency, 2500.00. Replaced hitch with the BD-3 Trailersaver in a attempt to relieve the stress on the front overhang. 1800.00.
Truck inspection, Hoses clamps, brakes, oil and filter change 400.00.
Oh and a new Extended warranty plan with cornerstone 2100.00.Oh wait had the Kipor 3K generator serviced after 10 years on doing nothing to it.... 145.00..
We are ready to embark on our summer adventure of about 6,000 miles.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #49
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Rich, after,all that,I am suprised you have any money left to travel#128541; I do wish you a safe and uneventful summer. Drive safe and have a great time.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:08 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is all part of Rv'ing.I forgot I had to purchase a new bedsaver for the BD3 hitch 264.00. Regular routine maint helps prevent failures. The add ons such as IS suspension Trailersaver BD3 have greatly improved the ride and handling as well as hopefully relieving the stress on the frame. The main slide awning and rear window graphic really cut down the sun and heat in the RV.MD shades are on the list

We had saved all the $$ we earned at Disneyworld over 4 winter seasons and most of the $$ we earned school bus driving for 7 school years after we retired and had a good reserve of $$ put aside as we well understood the cost of having a RV. Extended warranties reduced the out of pocket expense over two Montana's since 2006.

We consider the $$ spent part of the lifestyle that we chose.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #51
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
HAPPY TRAILS RICH have a great safe trip and I hope it is trouble free