Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Black water waste valve

Has anyone replaced the black water waste valve with a Barker electric valve? I know Valterra makes an electric valve Barker looks more compact than Valterra. Reviews on Amazon are pretty good for Barker. Barker does not include the valve only the actuator, so would not have to open the plumbing

Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A couple of years ago I had a dealer who was very high on electric valves and I gave the idea some consideration. As far as I know it wasn't this type, but some of the issues may be the same. The first thing was when the rig next to me had their system fail and had no option but to drop the underbelly and activate the valve manually. Now I need to replace my valve and ask the same dealer about electrics and he said he didn't handle them anymore because they were "too much trouble". So, for me, I'll be replacing with a cable activated model but I'll be using a cable that is exactly the right length.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I just had my cables replaced with rods. It doesn't make sense having a cable that has to make a complete U-turn to activate but that was the way my black tank valve was designed. I had my gray and black tank pull cables moved out of the convenience center and put them in a straight line to the valves. The rod for the gray tank was installed with the rod going through the frame in a straight line from the valve to the pull lever just outside the frame. The rod for the black tank was installed on the opposite side (door side) through the frame to valve. You can install the valtera cables and they may work great for a while but they still can not run in a straight line unless you are willing to move them out of the convenience center to avoid turns which is the problem with cables. I can't say this is better than electric valves but it is better than any type of cable running straight 'which is preferred' or curved. I'll take my black tank pull rod out of the convenience center and on the opposite side of the rv any day over what the factory offers.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
I too considered replacing the cables with rods, but the only pull handle locations would not be something we particularly want. The ultimate decision was to go with a Valterra electric valve. We have now used it one season, about 6 - 8 trips with a black dump each trip.
I was okay with the size of the valve unit, and really liked the manual pull arrangement if the electric portion fails. The plumbing element of the project was a little time consuming, but doable. I recommend you look at the Valterra electric black tank valve.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I’m in the camp that sees a pull handle on the door side as very inconvenient. A simple bellcrank would allow both handles to be on the same side. I replaced both of my valves and cables with Valterra units a couple of years ago and they work great. If the Valterra components ever fail then I would certainly look at installing a bellcrank arrangement.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
JBS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I’m in the camp that sees a pull handle on the door side as very inconvenient. A simple bellcrank would allow both handles to be on the same side. I replaced both of my valves and cables with Valterra units a couple of years ago and they work great. If the Valterra components ever fail then I would certainly look at installing a bellcrank arrangement.
What is a bellcrank system I googled it no luck.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellcrank
Old 03-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
JBS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS View Post
What is a bellcrank system I googled it no luck.
Thanks for the info, looks way out of my scope. In process of replacing blank tank valve so will just probably replace an maybe reroute it.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
w5352
Established Member

M.O.C. #21463
Send a message via AIM to w5352
I replaced all three valve with Valterra valves. As for dropping the under belly. Not a problem for me. I have only had to access one valve one time. The reason was an installation issue which I caused because I installed them. I just cut the cloraplast on three sides, did the repair and taped it back up with NASCAR 200mph tape. No problems towing.
The reason I replaced them was I did not like working around the slide to get to the grey kitchen valve. The bath grey and black valves would not close properly and I continued to get crap on me setting up and breaking down.
w5352 is offline   Reply With Quote