Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
What Protectant to Use on Textured J-Wrap?

Hello All,

Our j-wrap looks to be aluminum and I think it has been painted from the factory with a slight pebble or sand texture. It's also a satin finish. A typical cream wax really doesn't look good on it. What are you using to protect it? I found one person using 303 Protectant or a wash with wax on this Keystone link. Any tips and advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=52124

(Although 303 protectant can be used on paint, the mfr states it's made for vinyl and rubber.)

Old 04-10-2023, 06:44 PM   #2
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
If it is paint, highly recommend Turtle Wax ICE Seal and Shine. It’s a super easy to use spray, amazing shine and UV protection, and great price. I bottle will last you a year or more, and once you try you will also want to use on your truck every month as well.
Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Hey, thanks Robokatz. I just read up on the ICE and it looks to be a great sealant for gloss (my j-wrap is satin/matte) so going to test it and definitely use it on the front cap, front storage wall, and at least the hood of the truck. We just got back from Paso Robles and Pismo from So Cal and the cap was worst ever covered with bug hits. I've also got oversize mud flaps but still get some tar on the front wall. I think a sealant will help.

Since the post, I've found a number of cleaner/sealants for matte finishes. Based on reviews, I've narrowed to Chem Guys Matte Detailer and Sealant, and Wizards Wipe Down Spray for Matte. Hoping to see what others are using.

Btw, nice rig and truck. That FBP looks great!
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:04 AM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I believe the link in post 1 referenced a comment I made about 303. I have used ICE and still do occasionally. The 303 is primarily to protect the decals on the trailer (and all other vinyl/rubber components including slide seals) but it is an all around UV protectant...one of its primary functions, so I use it all over. ICE is to make a glossy shine with some UV protection...they say. ICE makes a pretty shine but I'm not convinced of its long term protection and if left out in the sun it needs to be reapplied pretty often. 303 is more difficult to apply - it goes a long way but you need to wipe it off well. It doesn't dry out like a paste wax but leaves a residue you can see in the light if you don't rub it down. It offers better sun protection IMO.

Another product to consider, and one I use often in between formal waxing is in this link;

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilot...CABEgLZKvD_BwE

Very easy application and overall use. Gives a nice shine. It comes in various sizes, kits etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:24 PM   #5
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Thanks Sourdough. I use the 303 cleaner and appreciate the additional info on the protectant esp for the decals and seals.

The wash/wax you listed actually made it near the top of a list . . . for bug cleaners . . . when I was searching, so going to give it a try for the next wash instead of my usual car wash/wax.

For the j-wrap (the lower, dark gray band in the picture), I went with Chemical Guys Matte Sealant made for matte paint and wraps. It was available locally. States it has a UV blocker. No history on the longevity but it was easy to apply, dried fast to a uniform appearance, and didn't need to wipe or buff afterwards.

After a complete wax, I also applied the Turtlewax ICE on the front cap and wall. Turned out with a nice shine and hopefully, the sealant will last long enough for upcoming trips over the next few months to help with bug and tar removal at the next wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8100.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	14357  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote