Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
Re-string window blinds

One window blind just went all haywire. Cords not broken, but outer sheath of the cord wore out and bunched up like a clogged artery. Watched a video on how to change them, but here's my version and recommendation.

I simply used nylon fishing line (45lb test) to rethread the whole thing. Once installed the blind world absolutely silky.

EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
Sounds like a great tip. DW replaced one of ours just a week ago. I’m so impatient I can’t even watch her do it. By the time I returned she was pretty frustrated herself, and she’s done them before.

Did you tie off the 40lb test to the worn string before you removed it or did you just use the fishing line as a leader for the new string?

One bid disadvantage to your method though. Think of the size fish you could have caught on 45lb test
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
I disassembled the blind completely. This is quite easy for small windows with 2 cords. Vids on YouTube make it easy. I removed the broken cord and the other side as well and re strung with all new 45lb test nylon line. There is no magic to 45lb test, its just the biggest line I have on hand. Restringing is really easy. The whole trick is crossing the lines in the middle channel between the day and night material. I was not sure if it would work well, but it turns out that it works Magnificently better! Its like going from a tractor to a Mercedes!

Additional comment: If you scrunch the fan fold material together and tie a string around the middle to keep it compacted, you can easily feed the new line completely through that section (Day vs night material) in one simple motion... like threading a fat needle. I was surprised at how easy this is to do.
EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
Oh, didn’t realize you actually restrung with fishing line. Interesting. I’ll pass that tip to DW. Thanks for clarifying.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote