Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Lighting Oven

I have seen this posted many times, how hard it is to light the oven.
The wife bakes almost daily and tonight she showed me how easy it is for her to light that pesky pilot light.

She uses one of the long lighters, a bic or something like that. Anyway, she turns the gas control to pilot and pushes the button, while holding it in she opens the drawer and gets the lighter, opens the oven door (note she is still holding the pilot in) stickes the lighter in the burner compartment strikes the lighter waves it in the general direction of the pilot and presto it lights. She says it works every time. The secret she says is holding in the pilot valve for about 15 or 20 seconds before striking the lighter.

She barely bends over doing this (seen the complaint of laying on the floor and all sorts of stuff) trying to light the darned thing. She sticks the lighter under the burner about the length of the lighter, she doesn't reach way back under all the way to the pilot.

Thought I would pass on her secret, she has been baking in an RV oven since our first one in 1980 and knows her way around an RV kitchen.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If it wooks why breake the wire , there is very little gas at 20 seconds , so no big deal...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
"If it wooks why breake the wire" - could you please translate what that is supposed to mean.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You don't even have to work that hard if you don't want to. The following procedure uses more gas but require NO acrobatics:

Another trick to take less time to light the oven is to prime the gas line by turning on the burners first by turning on the gas, then rotating the igniter until they fire up. Once the burners have lit, you now know the gas lines have propane in them. Turn off the burners, and the oven will light faster this way.

Get the lighter, open the oven door. Turn the oven up to over 300 degrees. When it lights, back up, wait 60 seconds, then turn the oven down to PILOT - not OFF.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I read on another forum on how somebody installed a button striker from a gas grill at the pilot light assembly. No more bending, just push button a couple of times. They had pictures, didn't look too complicated. I guess you can buy these at ACE Hardware or Home Depot.

I'll check later today & try & find it

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use our oven as a storage compartment and the Apollo to cook. That solves the problem for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
JimF
Sounds like a smart wife. Tooke me a while ti figure it out, but it works for me. Now I just have to get my wife to do it. Have a Great Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Art, since she uses the oven/stove every day I doubt if the system need priming. Once the thermocoupler is heated up just turn on the oven and it will light the burner. That is my method ROW
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Lambchop, I saw that somewhere too. I bought the striker but couldn't find the site again. If you find it, please let me know. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Art, since she uses the oven/stove every day I doubt if the system need priming. Once the thermocoupler is heated up just turn on the oven and it will light the burner. That is my method ROW
If she uses it every day, why do you need to light the pilot every time?! Why not just leave the pilot light on, instead of turning the oven knob to full off? That way you can just turn the oven knob to the temp that you want with no fuss and the burner will light. In the pilot position, if the pilot light accidentally gets extinguished, the gas will quit flowing as soon as the thermocouple cools so there is no danger. When the thermocouple is cool, the knob must be depressed for the propane to flow. When we are out camping, once I light the pilot, it stays lit until we get ready to roll(unless the wife accidentally turns the knob to full off). It uses very little propane.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Some people just want the gizmos. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote