Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Icetug

M.O.C. #29712
334BH bedroom slide crack in the shell

Hello,

Our 2020 334BH High Country has developed a crack at the bedroom slide lower rear corner. This started very small and I drilled the end of the crack thinking it was stress and I could just do a small cosmetic fix. This crack has gotten larger and now extends down to the basement door gasket.

I saw that this type of crack had happened to other Keystone units on the front bedroom slide corner. The repair was MAJOR and required removal of the side of the trailer and welding in gussets.

Has anyone had this problem? Was it a frame crack?

The other issue is that I am not the original owner. The unit was purchased out of California and we are full time in it now. Will Montana even consider this under warranty?

Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I suspect this is another case of a broken weld in the frame. Unfortunately I don't know Montana's warranty policy for second owners. But supposedly the frame is warranted for three years.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetug View Post
.........Has anyone had this problem? Was it a frame crack?........
It is likely a stress crack. Same thing happened on my Montana 3780RL front cab just below the slide. Dealer repaired it under Keystone's 3 year structural warrany. Had to remove the skin, weld in new wall braces and reinstall the skin. Keystone authorized the same repair on the opposite side even though there was no stress crack to mitigate the risk of a future stress crack.

3-year structural warranty information attached. Check with the dealer AND Keystone to confirm coverage. In the event it is not transferrable to the second owner, suggest getting a trailer extended service plan and having it repaired under that policy.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the forums and sorry about your issue. The 2020 among others were prone to this problem. When I purchased my 2022 I saw two 2020's being repaired. Side panels removed, gussets and additional framing being welded in. They went so far as to drive wood into the frame tubing.

The good news is that it can be repaired. The bad news is it most likely needs to be done at a shop and may take some time. Since you're full timing that's obviously an issue.

As far as the warranty, it's covered under the 3 year structural. Whether or not Keystone will honor the warranty, I don't know. I would call Keystone customer service and ask. You may have to go up the chain. Don't take the first no. Please update us and lets us know the outcome. Good luck!