Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
San Antonio & Corpus Christi

Looking to stay maybe two nights in San Antonio
and three nights in Corpus Christi in early March.
Anyone have any good suggestions.

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For two nights in San Antonio I'd choose Braunig Lake RV Resort. Last I knew they were passport America. The standard sites are close together, but the try staggering rigs if there are not a lot of campers. They also have a "Premium" side and with a Passport America price it would be worth it. Also, they are only 6 miles from Downtown SA and the Alamo. IF you go to the Alamo, park in the lot directly behind it for $10 all day. I parked there in my F350 extended cab, long bed Dually with no problem

I can't help you with Corpus as I don't know of any good CG's in that area. You may want to try Aransas Pass, or Rockport.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Thanks Wayne
We went to the Alamo and the River Walk about 18 years ago and want to see it again. After that we would like to spend a few days on the Gulf Coast, we have never been there. We really don`t know the best area to stay at. After that we will be going to the Rally.
Ron
Old 02-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Thanks Wayne
We went to the Alamo and the River Walk about 18 years ago and want to see it again. After that we would like to spend a few days on the Gulf Coast, we have never been there. We really don`t know the best area to stay at. After that we will be going to the Rally.
Ron
ROCKPORT!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The River Walk has now been extended all the way to the old Pearl Brewery - take a boat ride!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
ARJ
Rockport looks great, any park recommendations.

VanMan
We are planning on a boat ride on the River Walk.

Thanks
Ron
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gulf Coast of Texas encompasses about 350 miles. Could you be more specific? (LOL)

Actually, in this area there is a lot to see and do. Houston has some wonderful museums, and then there are the waters of Galveston, and that of Galveston bay. SRIEGAL is in Galveston now. Galveston has a lot of attractions. My favorite is "The Strand." It is coming back to life after Ike. There are areas of Galveston beaches that you can ride out on the beach. Nice if you have 4 wheel drive. There are tons of RV Parks around here, inluding right downtown Houston. My preference would be Green Caye, in Dickinson, TX, especially at $350 a month, and that includes electricity. But there are others.

If you have the time, spend more in San Antonio. Run up to Canyon Lake. Take a ride down River Rd., from New Braunfels to San Marcos. Ride the river if you have the chance. (Warmer weather of course) Visit Austin, and surrounding Hill Country. (Then come to Galveston County)

Corpus is a nice city to visit also. Just not many "real nice" CG's. We stayed at the Military CG when we were there and rode through some of the CG's in Corpus. We were not very impressed by any of them. Aransas Pass and Rockport offered nicer CG's, by our ride-through experience.

If you want to get further South, then you will be down in "The Valley." Others can tell you what is down there.

Years ago we took a 1200 mile trip in about two weeks that went from Texas City via Austin, Blanco, Corpus, and back home. So just remember Texas IS big!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We have limited time this trip. We will be going to the Rally on March 17th.
Maybe we can spend three nights in San Antonio and a week in Rockport before the Rally.
I looked at some of the parks in Rockport and was hoping that someone had stayed in a nice one.
I looked at Braunig Lake, I think it will work out for the three nights in San Antonio.
We are in the Tuscon area now and need to go back to CA. for a few weeks before leaving for Texas.
After the Rally we need to be back home in Ca. by Aptil 1st.
Thanks for all the help.
Ron
Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

ARJ
Rockport looks great, any park recommendations.

VanMan
We are planning on a boat ride on the River Walk.

Thanks
Ron
We stayed at Palm Harbor RV last trip. Right on the Gulf and you can fish off their sea wall. This not a concrete pad kind of place but very nice folks and there was everything we needed.

There is another further South called Drifters (I think). We didn't stay there but were impressed with it. You should check out Rustic Cove CG too. New with woodsy sites.

I suggest that you pick up campground literature at a visitors center when you enter TX. Tons of information on all the campgrounds by region.

There is another CG just North of the Airport in Fulton that we stayed at but I forget the name. That place was ok too!

Do take the ferry to Port Aransas and go to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge North of Fulton. We took the gambling ship one day and it was fine except if you get tired of gambling-there is nothing else to do on the ship.

Rockport is just a great place and there is plenty to do there.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
At Corpus I would suggest Pioneer campground 3 miles south of Port Aransas on Mustang Island right on the water. Large campground, cement pads, all hookups, few trees.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If coming to Rockport, Lagoons is one of the nicer ones. Also, look here. Of those, I would probably prefer Sanddollar Resort of the ones on that site. On the Island (Port A), as someone mentioned, Pioneer is very nice. Also, Gulf Waters is nice. Only problem is that many are filled to capacity this time of year. In Aransas Pass, Ransom Road RV is very nice. Our park, ICW RV Park is an old airport runway. Ain't fancy, but we love it. Thing about Aransas Pass is we are about 10 miles from Rockport, 7 miles from the Port A ferry, and about 20 to Corpus Christi.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Thanks Everyone
This will give us some places to check out. We will be leaving for Texas about the 1st of March.
Hope to see some of you at the Rally.
Ron & Rose
Old 02-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Ron & Rose,
We have stayed at the Drifters in Rockport and it is great! Concrete pads, trees and good management that owns the park. For Port Aransas, we have stayed at Pioneer. It also has concrete pads, and excellent facilities, and best of all you can walk to the beach!
In Rockport, don't miss the Big Fisherman restaurant. And in Port Aransas (Port A for Texans) don't miss the seafood at the Beach Street Grill. It is a small place but the food is #1!
Just be sure to clear out of Port A before Spring Break--college kids EVERYWHERE!

Tim and Susan
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Ron and Rose,
Since I live in San Antonio, I don't stay in the local RV parks. But I have seen the Traveler's World on Roosevelt and it is a nice park. It's best feature is the easy bus route to Downtown and the Riverwalk. Check it out on the RV Parks Review Site.
See you at the Rally.

Tim Millington
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote