Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Jason

M.O.C. #10072
Michigan Campgrounds

Would like some recomandtions on campgrounds in Michigan. With stuff for kids to do. State or private.
Thank you,
Jason

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Jason, Not sure exactly what you are looking for but suggest you look at, http://www.indianrivercampground.com/ We stayed there three years ago. It was really nice and ran by the nicest people. Lots of kids in the park and plenty for them to do. For us that were not camping with kids they put us in a different section of the park.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
It would be a little helpful if you could explain a little more in detail as to what you are looking for in camping. Such as do you want a lake, river, lots of campground activities etc. Your question is pretty broad and is difficult to answer. I can tell you of many campgrounds in Mi. but they may not suit your needs.

Lets us know more, I'm sure you will get a lot of answers.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jason

Would like some recomandtions on campgrounds in Michigan. With stuff for kids to do. State or private.
Thank you,
Jason
http://www.covert-southhavenkoa.com/

This is a pretty new place and relatives of mine own and run it, so guess I'm putting in a plug for them. They're a good family and while I haven't stayed there (I live close by) they say that their kids make it a real entertaining place for kids. It's close to Lake Michigan beaches and South Haven, which is one of my favorite Lake Michigan towns.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Michigan is a pretty big state with lots to do, depending on what you like. There's the Henry Ford Museum / Greenfield Village in Dearborn which can easily take up two days your time and has things for old and young alike, including a large IMAX theater. Then there's Mackinaw Island, which has no camping but there are campgrounds nearby. The island's attractions are historical and there are no motorized vehicles allowed, only horses and bikes. And of course their world famous Mackinaw fudge! In July there is a Cherry Festival in Traverse Bay, a picturesque town and peninsula area with a weeks worth of activities. Later in the summer is the Woodward Dream Cruise, a three day week end event that draws over a million car enthusiasts. The west side of the state offers sand dunes, and fishing is available nearly everywhere you go.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Lakeside campground north of Grand Rapids is very nice.. A small lake with swimming, boating and fishing.. Kids stand on a pier and catch fish all day. Lot of things for kids to do in the clubhouse..
lfw.
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Hill and Hollow CG http://www.hillandhollowcampground.com/index.htm near Pentwater, MI has tons to do, and close to Lake Michigan sights, also. Very nice people and good CG. Check their website.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Jason

M.O.C. #10072
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't give more detail. We like being on a lake, fishing, Hiking, biking, swimming and full hook-up.
I think thats it, but I'm probably missing something.
Thanks again, Jason
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jason, that leaves out most of the Michigan State Parks, as there are only a handful or two of full hookup sites.

BUT if you would consider the electric only hookups and majority of them 30 AMP, - - - - - - - -

Summer camping in Michigan for us IS State parks, load up the water, shower in the shower house, lakes,hiking, biking, fishing, swimming, etc. Some of our fav places are Yankee Springs Rec Area, Gun Lake campground,

Lake Michigan campgrounds, although there are a lot of sites we cannot get into, but, if we can! wahooooo.

Also like Waterloo Rec area campgrounds,

Pontiac Lake State Rec area campgrounds.

Holly Recreation area campground. Near there, have not been to it in years, Seven Lakes.

Used to like Sterling State Park on Lake Erie, until they up and moved the entire campground out on the lake, goodness, we could not stand it out there unless it was hotter than hades, you know, that cold wind off the lake, etc. They do have some full hookups tho, so I have been told.

You could start here:

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Default.aspx?SearchType=campgrounds

Sorry we almost never stay in private/commercial campgrounds in Michigan.

No matter where you stay, be sure to have LOTS O FUN!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Jason

M.O.C. #10072
Thanks Carol I'll check some of those out. We do go to State campgrounds, but its hard to get in to soom of them. We like and have reservations at Harrisvile and Ludington this summer. Can't wait for summer.
Jason
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Traverse City/Lelanau

http://www.lakeleelanaurvpark.com/
beautifull area.

West coast has some real nice county parks right on Lake Michigan. Not full hook up ... electric and water.But has a great beaches right in the park

http://co.muskegon.mi.us/parks/pioneer.htm
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
Famtwo

M.O.C. #8862
Send a message via MSN to Famtwo
We have a favorite campground called Nature's Chain of Lakes. On the 5th lake of six lakes. Owned by a nice Christian couple. Right on Lake for fishing, skiing, canoeing etc... natureschain@yahoo.com is the web site.
Famtwo is offline   Reply With Quote