Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
New guy here!

Hello, my name is Andy and I live on the outskirts of Seattle. My parents just bought an '07 3585SA. I got my Dad registered on this site, but he is not very computer savvy and is a little intimidated by how these forums work. As for me, I'm an old hand at these on-line forums, although this one is formatted a little differently than what I'm used to. Some of you who tow your trailers with Dodge/Cummins trucks may be members of the Turbo Diesel Register ( http://www.turbodieselregister.com ), which I am a member. I'm also in the Northwest Bombers ( http://www.nwbombers.com ), which is a loose knit group of Pacific Northwest dieselheads. It started as a local chapter of the Turbo Diesel Register, consisting of Dodge/Cummins owners, but now there are a large number of Ford Powerstroke and Chevy/GMC Duramax owners on the site, and all are welcome there. The name "Bombers" comes from the acronym "BOMB" which is short for "Better Off Modified, Baby!" The NWB site is free, so if you live in WA/OR/NorCal/ID/AK/BC/AB and you're a dieselhead, feel free to join!
Anyway, back to the Montana, my folks, who are retired, live in SoCal. They traded in their 2000 Bounder motorhome for the new Montana, and they are very happy with it. They will not be towing it anywhere. Instead, they are keeping it on my property and they will use it as a summer cabin when they visit me. So, you could say that they will be "semi-full-timers". My Dad was feeling very uncomfortable with driving the Bounder, and his eyesight isn't that good anymore (he's 80), so they decided that their RV travelling days are over. They have been RV'ers since 1966 when they bought a '66 Ford F250 with a slide-in camper. I was 3 years old back then!
My folks have a granddaughter who is an airline pilot, and they fly at a tremendous discount now. So, that's how they travel, instead of breaking the bank by filling up the gas tank on that V-10 Bounder to drive to my place and park it all summer. My Dad is happy that he no longer has to deal with maintaining an engine, transmission, generator, etc.
Anyway, that's their story. The trailer was delivered to my place a few weeks ago, and my Dad - "Mr. Restless Handyman" - already added a few things after the trailer was delivered. They flew home to SoCal a few days after the trailer was delivered, but they will fly back here in late May and stay in their trailer at my place until September. I live on 1.3 acres on a dead-end street where no other houses are visible and they have a view of a pond on my property that attracts ducks, so it's like a campground for them. This summer, my niece and her family will move in with me, so my folks will be able to see their two toddler great-granddaughters everyday. That's what it's all about, right?
Anyway, you may see me posting a few questions on behalf of my Dad in regards to repairs, modifications, etc. I've already surfed the forums and found a lot of valuable information that I passed on to him, like replacing the decorative globe-type light bulbs above the bathroom vanity with compact flourescent lights to eliminate heat damage to the ceiling. Dad already took care of that one. I tried to show him how much valuable information is right here at his fingertips on this website, but I think he's intimidated and confused by all the acronyms and inside lingo. I'll try to ease him into it.
Regards, Andy Perreault, Maple Valley, WA
Son of JVP is offline   Reply With Quote