Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #41
Bdub

M.O.C. #26346
Wow, guess we have been extremely lucky so far. We have had our 2015 3610 for a year and a half with snow bird trip for 4 months last winter, and no major problems at all. Sorry for yours and I believe others here have given you good advice.

Bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #42
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
I have to chuckle when I hear the comments on "older trailers" if they've been maintained and treated right there's nothing wrong with an "older trailer" . This is a 02 Crossroads that we took on a trouble free 7600 mi trip 33 day last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0226.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	7017  

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #43
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Jack, got a question for you! Do you have two fifth wheels? You picture a 02 Crossroads and you state you have a 05 Montana Mountaineer. Must be nice to be able to have two units you can tradeoff and take on trips. Lucky you!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #44
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
We replaced the Cross Roads with the Mountaineer last Oct. When we were out last summer we talked about what we would change if we were to buy a different unit. I kept my eyes and ears open and this Mountaineer, with those features, came up for sale about 20 mi from home. I'm curious, how did you know my name?

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Old 08-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #45
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I think we all have had our share of issues. I had to pay to get a side slide out roller fixed/re positioned because the idiots at the factory mounted it to low. I bought it used and extended warranty wont cover it because it is not a “break” or a failure. As I have learned, their specs on tires for my model year were under rated and I had a failure with only minimal damage that I was able to fix, thank God. Can you believe that tire didn't blow out? Limped a few miles at 25 mph on just the tire cord to the truck stop and got the spare on. Anyway, we feel your pain. Some things are not worth trying to do yourself. Fortunately, the dealer I use treats me right. Im not as young as I used to be so what repairs/fixes I can do myself has its limit. I think the others my be right, by the time you get things fixed, and then sell it, you have fixed everything for the new owner, not yourself. Let the dealer mechanic take the body hits! When you get everything fixed, re evaluate before you make a decision. Think it through. Hopefully it will start being a lot more fun and less aggravation.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #46
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
We are going to try 'one more time"... I just put the slide back together.. 2 new shear bolts... 2 New 15 teeth Gears.. LCI sent me two more at no charge.. Great Service there.. Im going to take it to a place who did some work on this rv before and was very happy with the work..I will let them know that the last time about the shear bolts and the gear teeth coming off..I took a gentleman's advice on here.. Took the busted bolts out and used the ram to bring the slide out and adjusted from there... Today, a new Rubber Spring should arrive from the tire place that destroyed the one on the rv.. The Black water tank appears to be fixed.. Filled it up and left it over night.. No leaks.. At least now I know how to do that.. When Cutting the toilet pipe and the vent pipe I used Rubber boots with clamps incase it happens again.. When putting the corrugated piece back on I used all self tapping screws replacing the "nails'... Respliced some of the wiring... 2 wires for the heated tank pad. and the 4 for the water level sensors... HEY? at least the water level indicators work again..
Excellent! The good thing is you know what the problems were, how it was fixed, and now is in the past! 😎
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #47
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
We replaced the Cross Roads with the Mountaineer last Oct. When we were out last summer we talked about what we would change if we were to buy a different unit. I kept my eyes and ears open and this Mountaineer, with those features, came up for sale about 20 mi from home. I'm curious, how did you know my name?
Rondo is part of the site team - he knows all. I hope you are not in witness protection and just got "outed".

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #48
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Excellent! The good thing is you know what the problems were, how it was fixed, and now is in the past! 😎
Thanks ... Kudos....and happy trails..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #49
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Rondo is part of the site team - he knows all. I hope you are not in witness protection and just got "outed".
I din see notin, din hear notin.

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Old 08-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #50
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
There is currently a 2005 KZ escalde 36KS at Beckleys camping center in Thumont MD
Thanks
Old 08-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #51
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Posted elsewhere as well. No one could have fixed the slide out. A new revised gear pack was required. The rack would move away from the gear causing popping and misalignment. New bracket is bolted to the bottom of the trailer.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #52
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
If you need help or need a 2nd opinion or eyeball on something, let me know. It's not like we live far from each other. I don't have much trust in dealer techs and have done all the fixes, mods, maintenance on mine except for a leaking slide cylinder....I even came up with a repair for the famous broken studs on the front slide (frame flex) at home. I don't do black tanks...I have to draw the line somewhere.
Thank you... so far we are having Gib’s rv in coos bay fix it... thanks again... appciated..
Old 08-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #53
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Coos bay.. very windy... hitting gibs Monday to complete slide repair ..
Old 08-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #54
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
We have a 2008 2955rl, bought it from the original owner, except for a couple minor issues it has been trouble free. I would call 2015 fairly new....
Stevhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #55
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
The thing for OP and anyone with lots of problems If you don't get rid of it before you spend thousands on repairs and it's in the dealers yard more than yours. You have 2 choices
1. Trade that sucker in and get something different.
2. fix the problems and make sure to upgrade the parts as much as you can and keep her.

I have a 03 and I have had my share of fixes but everything works. She is like me. simple to operate and with a little love and affection everyone walks away happy.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #56
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
I have to chuckle when I hear the comments on "older trailers" if they've been maintained and treated right there's nothing wrong with an "older trailer" . This is a 02 Crossroads that we took on a trouble free 7600 mi trip 33 day last year.

No one would ever think you could have something that old & look at that old truck, but that's new to my 04 LB7.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #57
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Montana should take lessons from Tiffin. We owned a 2012 34TGA Class A gas motorhome. Came with a 1 year warranty. In 2016 the huge one piece windshield started to work loose (not uncommon on bigger class A's). Tiffin directed us to a RV repair facilty near us and it was fixed. Tiffin didnt bat an eye, they paid for the repair.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #58
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Many on here know of the problems I have had with our 2015 Montana. LOTS... We worked 8 hours to fix the slide out.. Today it broke again.. I have had the black water tank repaired and it still leaks. Aside from the tires wearing in 2000 miles, the rear axle bolt breaking or coming off, this has been ONE BIG NIGHTMARE... Today while trying to get the black water tank up on the rails I smashed my fingers on both hands,, I cut my arm and it's bleeding. The other day a wrench fell on my cheek giving me a black eye, the same day a large wrench fell on my head giving me a large bleed... Im so sorry, but Im about to bring this back to wherever and take a big hit on my credit... I just dont care anymore... This Rv has been the biggest mistake we have ever made.. One big heartache after another... I will contact the lender and tell them do not make new loans on these... I feel like shooting myself in the head... ONE BIG MISTAKE... 72000 and nothing but trouble..... anyway..Im venting...
I have a 2017 Alpine that I purchased new. i had my share of warranty issues. Had most of them taken care of under the one year warranty and the rest i have done myself along with many upgrades and changes. i have come too really enjoy the Alpine now that all the issues have been worked out. Thankfully I've been able to repair everything else that has popped up. Now , i just enjoy it every time we head out. Would i get rid of it and take a chance on a new or used one that may have issues? I would not trade my unit for anything at this time as it has served me well. Once you work out the issues, as many have, you will enjoy camping again. happy camping...

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #59
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We have the rv at gibs right now in coos bay.. thay are timing the slide right now..
Old 09-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #60
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Gib’s did a GREAT JOB.. Very happy..