Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Batteries not charging

I'm confused.....seems like our batteries(new) are not charging--the power inverter makes a clicking noise and sometime it sounds like an alarm beeping noise. I think maybe my battery charger is not working but I can't seem to find where it is?? We have the unit plugged into shore power and the fridge works so I assume it's powered directly from the shore power--the slide out won't work so I assume they are powered thru the batteries?? There are wires that go into the inverter from the side where the batteries are and then there is a three prong plug plugged into the side that has the reset buttons....I'm not sure what that plug goes to though?? I guess I'm mainly trying to figure out why my batteries won't charg while plugged into shore power?? Thanks(I think I asked a variation of this question a few months back )

Gutz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Sounds like you have a residential frig? That is why it will run on shore power. The other problem sounds like your house battery is dead. Check your battery disconnect switch. Put it in the position where the key will not pull out. That will allow your regular converter to charge your battery. Simple test with a VOM will show you if your battery is getting a charge from the converter.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Would help us give advice if you would post your year and floorplan.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If your rig is newer your converter is a part of your power center where your breakers are. In our 2010 it was seperate unit, under the stairs, but on our newer units it's part of the power center.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
We have a 2018 3811 Floor plan
Old 12-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Is the converter what charges the batteries?? I guess I was looking for something that looked like a car battery charger??
Old 12-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Dick,

Have you checked your battery disconnect switch like Jim suggested?

What is your battery voltage? You can check with a voltmeter or use the level panel.

If your 12 volt lights are working on shore power, your converter is working.

There is also the possibility your batteries are bad.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
There is a red switch thing just above the batteries on the back wall that I believe is the battery disconnect switch--it's turned on with a green thing with a pic of a battery so I assume it's on the "On" position. the batteries are new so i don't believe they are bad. I'm thinking the converter might be bad and is not charging the batteries??? The inverter said 12.5v when i first put the new batts in and now it says 5 or something when it "turns on" which is only occasionally---when i push the little green button in the front it makes a beeping noise

--I'm assuming the inverter won't show anything if the batteries are dead?
Old 12-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The battery disconnect switch is just forward of the convenience center. It looks like a key - if you can pull the key out the batteries are disconnected.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot---what is the "convenience center"?? I haven't seen anything with any kind of a key looking thing anywhere!!LOL Can you post a pic of what you are talking about
Old 12-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The red switch near the batteries is the disconnect for the inverter and only the inverter. The beeping noise from the inverter is because the batteries are low. The batteries are low because the converter is not charging them. The converter is part of the power distribution panel setup. If it wasn't working you would not have 12V lights.

There is a red disconnect key in the convenience center. This disconnects the batteries from the converter. If you can remove the key, then the batteries are disconnected and not charging. The quick way to verify battery voltage is to use the Level Up panel to display the current state of charge. If the converter is charging the batteries , it will will read around 13.4V. If the batteries are disconnected (as yours appear to be), the display will read12.4V or much less.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Got it!! I googled "Convenience center" so now I understand what key thing you all are talking about--I'll check it!! Thanks!!
Old 12-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz54 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot---what is the "convenience center"?? I haven't seen anything with any kind of a key looking thing anywhere!!LOL Can you post a pic of what you are talking about
The convenience center is where your freshwater hookup and cable hookup is. The disconnect switch is forward of the convenience center.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #14
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Carl--when I check the key if it comes out and that means my batteries are not connected to the converter how do I re-connect them?? Does the key turn to an "On" or connect position??
Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Insert the key and turn it. If you can't removes the key, then the batteries are connected and charging. Once again use the Level Up Panel to easily check the voltage.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Thanks--I'll check it out and see
Old 01-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #17
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
I'm confused.....seems like our batteries(new) are not charging--the power inverter makes a clicking noise and sometime it sounds like an alarm beeping noise. I think maybe my battery charger is not working but I can't seem to find where it is?? We have the unit plugged into shore power and the fridge works so I assume it's powered directly from the shore power--the slide out won't work so I assume they are powered thru the batteries?? There are wires that go into the inverter from the side where the batteries are and then there is a three prong plug plugged into the side that has the reset buttons....I'm not sure what that plug goes to though?? I guess I'm mainly trying to figure out why my batteries won't charg while plugged into shore power?? Thanks(I think I asked a variation of this question a few months back )
Sounds like batteries are dead and the cut off switch is in the wrong position maybe. It's correct for normal operation when you can NOT pull it out.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #18
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
My battery disconnect key switch was in the correct position(key would not pull out). My battery conversion green button inside the coach blinks on and off every 6-7 seconds which according to the Manuel means it 's working. I can't find any fuses blown and my batteries are basically new-----my control for the level up says"low voltage" . I'm totally stumped as to why my batteries are not charging??
Old 01-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #19
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Dick,

Before calling a mobile tech or taking it to the repair shop check that your batteries have a good ground to the frame.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #20
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
My battery disconnect key switch was in the correct position(key would not pull out). My battery conversion green button inside the coach blinks on and off every 6-7 seconds which according to the Manuel means it 's working. I can't find any fuses blown and my batteries are basically new-----my control for the level up says"low voltage" . I'm totally stumped as to why my batteries are not charging??
If you have a voltage tester, remove the battery negative cable. Meter the battery at the posts, that is your non-resting battery voltage, what is it? Now meter between the positive post and the end of the negative cable you just removed. This is what your converter/charger is putting out. What is it? It will probably be 13.6. If you can leave the cable disconnected for 12-24 hours, measure the battery again at the posts, this is your battery resting voltage. It should be 12.6 to 12.7. At 12.3 the battery is only 50% to 75% full.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote