Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #41
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Friend of mine five years ago bought all new Samsung appliances for his new kitchen. Within a 5-year. Every single Appliance needed repair at least three times to the point they were unusable.
There will never be a Samsung or LG appliance in my house or camper ever!!!!!!

We are swapping over to Frigidaire for the kitchen along with possibly a GE top load agitator washer with operator adjustable water levels. That Samsung washer tries, without added water, to wash the clothes with about a quart of water. You can adjust the water level sensor but even that's a stopgap which only works sometimes. The last LG product was a microwave but it did a decent job until it quit after about 6-7 years

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #42
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I watch his videos and he has said for years that they sell more propane refrigerators than residential. That said you praise what you have to sell because that is what you sell and in his market that is what sells. I'm a residential owner and like it that way for my full time use. I think that I could get a Samsung refrigerator repaired by just about any appliance repair person and buy a knew one for a lot less than I could an RV refrigerator.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We had the OEM cooling units go bad on both of our Rv units .We replaced them with the quality Amish units and never another issue.
Yes BUT you had to replace something on that RV fridge. I haven't had to do anything to our residential. It may go out tomorrow but so far so good.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #44
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sounds to me like ol Jeff may have an agenda?

Most of the folks I hear have far LESS trouble with residentials than RV fridges and you don't need an RV REPAIR BIZ to fix one! I think he is more concerned about losing repair business than actually offering sound advice. For sure he didn't mention all the ADVANTAGES of a residential fridge. If OWNERS were not happy with the residentials they would have already disappeared. But that is not at all the case.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 PM   #45
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Here's a good article with a lot of good info with pro's and con's about residential refrigerators vs RV and which one you should choose..

https://vehq.com/rv-fridge-vs-residential/
Old 08-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #46
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
We have some minor problems with ours and Samsung fixed it under warranty, I would rather that then the fires that have occurred with the gas-electric units. Not to mention most of the top of the line Class A have residential with no problems.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #47
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
A little new to six volt batteries , I have two of the T105's, how would they do with residential fridge ,as far as how long would they run it ? . And say would a Honda 2000 charge them back up very quickly thru the converter.
A pair of T105's has 225AH. You should only draw that down to 50% or risk damaging the battery very fast. 12V times 112.5AH is 1,350 watt hours. I plugged my Samsung into a watt meter and measured it for many days. It averages about 1,500 watt hours per day. That works out to 21.6 hours.
ALL flooded lead acid batteries are slow to charge especially at the end. This is one of the reasons some folks switch to the fast charging Lithium batteries. Another factor is that stock RV converters are more like battery tenders than real chargers. What some folks have done is install another real 4 stage charger to speed things up but it will still take a while. BTW, the proper charge voltage is 14.4 to 14.6. It makes no difference if you are pliuged in or have that Honda giving you power, it's the converter that is the problem.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #48
a285726
Established Member

M.O.C. #22383
If you read the manual, Keystone does not follow the manual. The refrigerator needs two inches of clearance in the back. Keystone slides them tight a against the back wall. If they would move the island just two inches, the refrigerator could sit out with clearance. We replaced our Samsung with a 18 cut ft GE.
a285726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #49
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
He says the slide has to come out to get the residential refrigerator out.

Makes me wonder will an 18 cu ft rv fridge fit out the door?
I have two windows mine can fit through.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #50
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
We are swapping over to Frigidaire for the kitchen along with possibly a GE top load agitator washer with operator adjustable water levels. That Samsung washer tries, without added water, to wash the clothes with about a quart of water. You can adjust the water level sensor but even that's a stopgap which only works sometimes. The last LG product was a microwave but it did a decent job until it quit after about 6-7 years
We have the Ariston. They are easily the best washer and dryer we have ever owned. Yes, they are smaller than residential but front loaders, so it's very water conserving. Almost all the high-end coaches use Ariston.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #51
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by a285726 View Post
If you read the manual, Keystone does not follow the manual. The refrigerator needs two inches of clearance in the back. Keystone slides them tight a against the back wall. If they would move the island just two inches, the refrigerator could sit out with clearance. We replaced our Samsung with a 18 cut ft GE.
My 2018 3811MS with 18cf Samsung has 2.5" clearance at the back and with the doors off it is 24.5" going through a 28" door.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #52
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I would be a little wary of the new "fancy" Res Fridges, our experience at home is what with the efficiency and electronics, you're lucky to get 10 years of service out of them...
But in 2007 I put a "simple" Apt Size Fridge in our 2005 Montana and its still going strong (same as my "simple" top Freezer Garage Beer Fridge), versus the fancy Side by Sides with Ice/Water and lots of settings in our Kitchen...(2 in less than 20 years... and now $$$$)
If you're old enough you may remember when Refrigerators never died....but maybe all the plastic inside cracked and disintegrated, but it still ran.
Such is progress....
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #53
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRman View Post
If you're old enough you may remember when Refrigerators never died....but maybe all the plastic inside cracked and disintegrated, but it still ran.
Such is progress....

Talk about long appliance life, there are still some '20s-'30s GE Monitor top fridges still chugging away around here as back ups near where they were originally made in one of Edidison's original buildings (#10 and 12) in Schenectady, NY.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #54
Biker bill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24657
Had residential in my motorhome and loved it
Tried to get one in my Monty but they wouldn't switch it out.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #55
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Apparently no one is listening. Samsung and or LG appliances are junk stay away from them at all cost. It's been said if they make cell phones you do not want to buy their appliances
Our kitchen appliances at home were all replaced with LG and they have been absolutely trouble free as well as a couple of TVs we have from them. Our washer and dryers are LG and they are 15 years old and still working perfectly.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #56
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Our kitchen appliances at home were all replaced with LG and they have been absolutely trouble free as well as a couple of TVs we have from them. Our washer and dryers are LG and they are 15 years old and still working perfectly.
I guess you're one of the lucky few
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #57
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
While looking at pictures dreaming of my favorite Mobile Suites I noticed they use Whirlpool refrigerators and microwaves.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #58
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
If you have problems with your residential refrigerator, check out the helpful Samurai Appliance Repair site. Great resource for appliance repair help and parts carry a year warranty. Even electrical parts. No interest, just a long time satisfied customer.
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #59
datadr

M.O.C. #26286
I've watched some of his videos. He is quite opinionated, some good, some not so. This is riddled with errors, though.

He states these are specially-made residential refrigerators for RVs and that you can't just go to an appliance store to replace it. That's incorrect. They are standard counter-depth residential refrigerators that you can get in most Best Buy, Lowes and Home Depot stores.

He states you can't get anyone to repair them, but most repair folks make house calls since, um, that's where the fridge is. Granted, this is slightly different, but they will come out and fix it.

He also states parts are hard to get, delays and other issues will make repairing one a months-long issue. I've NEVER had any major appliance repair take more than a week, and that was only if parts were an issue. However, I HAVE had simple RV repairs take MONTHS to complete.

All that said, I have an RV fridge in my RV, but as we look to moving up to a 5th wheel, we'll likely go with a residential because we want the size. We have an 8 cu ft RV fridge, which is fine for this one and does keep things cold. But I've heard of more issues on the large RV refers, so I'll stick with what's worked for decades.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #60
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That is correct we will stick what has worked for a half a century that's RV refrigerators. Do they break down yes have they caught on fire yes do they always keep things as cold as people want no but for the most part they have worked good for most people.

I stated earlier in this thread that I will never own a Samsung or LG product and I'll still stand behind that statement.

3 years ago I bought all new appliances for the house all whirlpool. Since then the refrigerator has been repaired six times for the same exact thing. The other appliances have been doing just fine
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote