Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
satellite reciever/ dish

the dw wants a dish satellite while we are camping we have dish network and a single reciever to use, thinking about buying another dish and setting it up is it easy to do and is a signal tuner needed or easier with it

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
you can buy a dual lnb and another reciever.you donot need two tripods,run the wires to each reciever and your good to go. good luck
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I have a wineguard sat finder which is really a piece of junk but I make it work with along with a good compass. Make sure there are no obstructions to your south view. To fine tune the signal from the receiver/TV, I call the DW cell phone and set it up next to the speaker so when fine tuning the alingment I can listen to the receiver tones on the phone.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have DISH network at home. Since you do also, check out dishformyrv.com.
They offer a monthly plan that you can start and stop any time you want for $35/mo. Or if you already have DISH at home, you can add the RV to your home account for $7/month. That is what we did.
Thru the site above, I ordered an additional receiver, tripod, dish, and installation kit (that includes cables, compass, & tuning meter). I did buy a better compass. Have used it twice so far and it worked great. I got the 1000.2 three LNB dish so that it receives all 3 of our satellites (110,119,129) at the same time without re-aiming. We get all the channels in the RV that we get at home. We have the 250 channel HD plan and some of the channels are on different satellites.
I found aiming the dish to be relatively easy.
One trip we were outside our home spot beam. I called DISH, told them where I was (Kerrville TX zip code), they reprogrammed our account to receive network channels from San Antonio, and we had those locals while we were there. Returned home, called them back, they reprogrammed us for our home channels (DFW).
By the way, HD is now free on DISH but they don't tell existing customers that (at least not us). Check your account to make sure you are not still paying for the free HD.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a signal finder, but I find it's worthless, because it often finds the wrong satellite. The satellite finder doesn't care what satellite it finds as long as it finds one. When using Dish and no HD, I must locate the satellite at 119, but often find 110. I use the menu to look at the signal strength for 119, then when that's over 50 and green, the signal is good. Don't forget the azimuth too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just remember that there is no domed antenna that will allow you to receive two different satellites at the same time. That means that whatever you are watching on one TV with a dual receiver will have to be watch on the other TV unless it is on the same satellite signal.

That is why many go to the two LNB horn antenna to get 110 and 119 from DISH network. A three horn LNB is required to pick up the additional 129 satellite.

Many people confuse Dual LNB output with a two LNB output. A dual LNB output can have one horn with two feeds coming out.

DISh has a receiver with dual satellite inputs VIP 722 (DVR) and 322 (no DVR) are the two that I have at the stick house. (television poor-trash) With this type of receiver you can feed two televisions, and with the proper antenna you can watch independent channels on each television. Also, they have an antenna input for the OTA signals coming off the batwing. You run the RF cable into the input on the receiver, scan for local channels using the satellite receiver menu, and it will find all the signals that the batwing can pick up. You can then use the "guide" button on the satellite receiver to choose and look at the local signals, along with guide information for digital channels.

Good luck.

Edited: p.s., I just pull the VIP-722 out of the stick house and take it with us. If I were going on shorter trips I'd look into the month-to-month use fee and separate receiver, but since we are on the road 2-3 months at a time I would just rather pull the one out of the house, along with blue ray, Mac mine, lap top, kindle, ipad. We are electronic poor. I take all that with me in case I need to trade for fuel.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote