Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #41
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ours:
Model: 2010 3455 2 years old
Problem: none
Age at occurance: N/A
Home location (state/prov): California
Yearly usage: 30 days
When not used: outside, next to house
Washed: when needed 3-6 times year. Had Xzilon (similar to permaplate) installed at time of purchase

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #42
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Ours:

Model: 09 3665RE
Problem: peeling graphics front cap, rear cap, and both sides
Age at occurrence: 0 (noted when pickup at dealer)
Home Location: Florida
Yearly usage: 9 months a year.
When not in use: uncovered at home
Wash twice a year, roof treatment and wax yearly
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #43
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
07 3075 Front graphics started about 18-20 months after delivery. Bedroom slide now peeling. The small mountain scene in the middle of this graphic seems to be the worst.
Removed the mountain graphic from the front last year, the word Montana graphic just above will come off this spring. Burlington graphics sent(free) me the front graphic last year. Need to take pictures of the bedroom slide graphic and send to Keystone. Will run naked until I sell or trade.
Parked outdoors, never waxed the graphics but wash and wax the trailer every 6 months. Use the trailer 4-5 months year.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #44
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Model: 02 2955RL
Problem: slight fading and cracking, no peeling
Age at occurrence: 7 years
Home Location: Massachusetts
Yearly usage: 5 months a year.
When not in use: uncovered at home
Wash twice a year, roof treatment twice a year and wax yearly
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #45
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Well imagine this, I wanted to find out about what to do with my graphics, only to find everyone here has had the same problem. See I returned to the MOC after a long time away as we do not use our 3400RL that much anymore, returning to a home, having it in storage. I used regular waxes on my SOB before I purchased and special ordered my 07 3400RL. Before mine was delivered I already knew about the problem that oil based waxes could cause. I spent the extra money to make sure I used the right cleaning products only to find that the graphics would fall off anyway. I also called Keystone and Burlington Graphics and was told they would return my call. Well here it is evening and no one returned my calls and after a few e-mails found out the graphics will cost 1275.00 without labor... SORRY KEYSTONE, I AM REMOVING ALL GRAPHICS AND YOUR NAME OFF MY RIG !!! I WILL NOT ADVERTISE FOR YOUR LACK OF CARING ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS ANYMORE!!!! I will have a body shop paint some nice color contrasts to make the 3400RL look nicer than when it was new for the same cost or less. If someone askes me about it I will tell them the truth and steer them away from puchasing any KEYSTONE product.

Yes, I am hurt and angry over Keystone's lack of giving a crap. Hell the first rainstorm we went through less than one month out of the factory our slides leaked into the walls. When you spend your hard earned money on something you could at least expect to have it last more than a few years. If I had the time and resources I believe that a class action law suit for keystone and burlington graphics would be in order.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #46
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Status update on info so far:

TIME OF OCCURANCE: Consistently less than 2 years from new.

PERCENTAGE: After 594 "reads", there have been 32 who posted about graphics problems, about 5%, and a few who posted they had no problems. Did the other 95% have no problems? Not likely. Many of those "reads" are probably people reading more than once. And human nature being what it is, people are far more likely to post about problems than about satisfaction. So for the sake of argument, say 10% - 15% have had problems. So 85% - 90% have not had problems? Probably. Even though we hear an awful lot about it, the majority are probably OK. Still 10% - 15% is too many.

CAUSE: Hard to draw any conclusions, but almost all who have had problems are full timers or store the unit outside. Exposure to sun? Some credibility there in that some posted that when stored outside, one side had little direct exposure to the sun and that side had little if any cracking/shrinkage while the other sides had major problems. I think only one stated it was stored under cover and still had graphics problems.

Mine is stored in covered storage, but not enclosed. Gets only minimal direct sun in very early morning and very late afternoon. Exposed to temps ranging from low teens to 105 or so. Used about 40 days per year, half in Colorado, rest in Texas/OK/NM area. Graphics still look very good, with no sign of any cracking or shrinkage after 4 years. One of the lucky ones.

Not trying to offer a real cause or solution. Just trying to gather/provide more information.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #47
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We have a 2003 and have had graphics problems for years. We do not wash it very often and then only use water and a soft scrubber. I'm thinking it could be caused by the fiberglass not the graphics. Our unit is all chalky. If the surface of the fiberglass gets bad, then the graphics adhesive can't stick. The front of the unit is the worst and gets the most sun. It has mostly been used/kept in Wisconsin and mostly on a wooded site, which provides various amounts of shade.
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #48
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have an 09 3400RL and within the first 6 months of pruchase graphics peeled and cracked. Dealer replaced graphics in the late fall of 09 and as of last summer 2010, we have a repeat performance. Have notified Keystone by e-mail and they have given full approval to supply and replace all graphics again at no cost to us. We have not used wax on the unit and have washed the unit approximately twice per year not including heavy rain falls. Monty is outside 12 months of the year.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #49
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
johnp brings up an interesting point regarding the fiberglass. Wonder if the failures are in any way associated with gel-coat or lack of. Ours did not have gel-coat and peeled. RichFaa, to test this theory, is your rig gel-coated?? I remember back when we purchased the rig that the gel-coat was an option that we elected not to do. Curiosity has arisen!!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #50
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
We have gel coat and no peeling. It's only on the cap where that is bad and that is not gel coat. JMO
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #51
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Bingo, we have the gel-coating and every graphic is peeling.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #52
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Model: '08 Mountaineer 345DBQ
Problem: Peeling front cap and side graphics
Age at occurrence: less than 6 months old
Home location (state/prov): Indiana
Yearly usage: Most weekends between April-September
When not used: Always stored outside

After contacting Kristin @ Burlington Graphics and waiting for 3 or so months I received new graphics for free.
But after hearing people complain about there replacement graphics peeling just like the original ones, I haven't bothered to put mine on yet.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 AM   #53
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Mine:
Model '09' 3000RK
Used about 30 days a year mainly in state and federal parks within 200 miles.
Stored covered except front cap sticks out of building
Has some peeling of front graphics but sides still look fine.
Wash several times a year. Front cap after each trip. Only waxed once.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WHY ,,I ask was Tom Gina 06 completly ignored and treated rudely by Keystone and Burlington Graphics yet most been satisfied or received free graphics.. That needs to be looked into. Hope one of the Montana folks read this as they sometimes do.

Those who attend the fall rally know that this is a subject every year and every year we are told theye are trying something different to solve the problem yet it seems nothing does.Add to that the the majority seems to have no problems..yet many do.. There is much more to the story as I can not imagine Keystone being happy with the problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #55
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We have a 2005, 3400RL and do not have any peeling or cracking. (hope I don't jinx myself by saying that)

It is stored outside, not covered and we live in Maine with lots of snow. Have travelled to warmer climates for 4 months with it, plenty of sun.

Wash twice a year, not waxed too often.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #56
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
2008 3585SA
Peeling Front Graphics
2 years
Newfoundland
35 days per year
stored outside
washed twice a year with an RV wash
Never waxed.

Burlington graphics sent replacement which I am not putting on till I am ready to sell or trade.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #57
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
05 Montana Big Sky, purchased used in Oct 2007.
At that time the front cap graphics were fading and peeling.
Today, they're still there but getting close to being removed...
Trailer is stored outside and the south, road side graphics are peeling badly around the edges. Curb side graphics (north side in storage) are still okay as are the rear graphics.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #58
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
My 2007 Mountaineer has more than half of all graphics peeling. Been able to get some of replacements from Burlington and Keystone @ last year's rally. Since Rally I have 4 more starting to peel. My friend has a 2006 344RET and no graphics have peeled. Mine was built Nov 2006 and his Nov 2005. ??????
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #59
campingpappy

M.O.C. #9570
We have a 2008 3400RL that was purchased new in 2009, has been stored outside, washed as needed and the decals never waxed. The front decal started peeling about a year ago with the sides following. Keystone was nice about sending me all new decals, but the job seems monumental! I suppose that I will replace the decals one at a time once they look too bad!
campingpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #60
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ours is a 06 3650rk built in may 05. the front cap started peeling about 3yrs after we got it. just the fiberglass cap nowhere else. burlington [kristin] got me a set of new front graphics now it took awhile but she sent them to me aprox 8 months to get everything and let me say I was happy to get them. But with it taking that long I tryed something different with mine as most know I clearcoated my cap last yr. I cleared the back this pass week I was cleaning and preparing the back and saw a little curling of the back set so I hope I caught them in time. Mine has always been outside. BTW the front still looks great. I planed to post some pics just hav'nt took the time. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote