Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Good point, I was assuming buyer installed

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #22
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have a PowerMaster in ours plus a Progressive Industries EMS 50 amp with remote read out.
Before we had the EMS we had a surge and the PowerMaster took the hit and also boosted power for us in a few park. In our membership park we had a new section and the Electrician wire on post wrong and the unit there got hit with 220 Volts and it cost the Electric an $5000. The EMS monitors all that before it allows power into the unit.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good apples to apples comparison. Note that they are both 30 Amp. If spending the money, I would suggest the 50 Amp as it would also provide protection for 30 Amp.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

These are the same units but one is hardwired, the other portable:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rotection/9612

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rotection/9614

the hardwired is cheaper.

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have the 50amp portable Progressive Industries and had problems with it in Arizona melting our coaxial cable for our TV. Team Montana thought it was problem with the EMS and not the trailer. Started our cross country trip and plugged into a pedestal at Mission RV in San Antonio Texas and blew out our microwave because the perdestal was wired wrong. Park would not admit there wrong doing and we now don't have a microwave for the next 2 months because we didn't have the EMS to protect the trailer. We have extended coverage and will hopefully get the microwave replaced when we get back home.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #25
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

I'm assuming when using the portable EMS 50amp Surge Protector you use a 50amp-30amp adapter when using the 30amp cord?
Just double checking so we don't do the wrong thing!
Kathy

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
I've been researching this also for my new 3100RL. I have talked to both Progressive who makes the EMS and TRC who makes the Surge Guard. It was an interesting study and in the end I have decided to install a "hard-wired" EMS-HW50C...$300 from CW. The EMS has a lifetime warranty and the Surge Guard is 1 year. They are similar but the EMS seems to be superior in both warranty and function. It comes with a remote display that I can install wherever (haven't figured that out yet) and it will make it easy to read what is or is not the condition of the electrical hook up. The Surge Guard would require me getting my eyes on it and I did not feel like rewiring the coach to get the feed to somewhere easy to see before it goes into the electrical break-box or crawling under the cupboard for information. So, I am going to open the line at the circuit box which is tucked under my kitchen cupboards/counter-top at the sink. I will add a 4-ft tail and be able to bring it out to work on it and then tuck it away.

With the hard wired 50-amp unit I can use any 30 amp or 50 amp hook up, never worry about it getting damaged, needing multiple adapters, forgotten or stolen and this issue with the 30-amp and 50-amp cords goes away. I can use whatever I want or is available. I also have 1 air conditioner but should that change I am equipped and ready to go. If I sell the coach I can also take it with me just like a portable unit. I also thought when using adapters for the portable units they might end up laying on the ground, not my first choice.

During this research I discovered that the kitchen sink and its plumbing is right above the electrical panel and the central vac. A bit of a risk IMO for easy damage and an expensive time consuming repair from a drop of water causing shorts or corrosion over time. When I am installing this EMS I am also going to install a waterproof curtain that will carry any future leaks of whatever away from the electrical equipment. Should be easy to do.

That's my 2-cents but it took 10-cents to explain it. Sorry!
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

We have the 50amp portable Progressive Industries and had problems with it in Arizona melting our coaxial cable for our TV. Team Montana thought it was problem with the EMS and not the trailer. Started our cross country trip and plugged into a pedestal at Mission RV in San Antonio Texas and blew out our microwave because the perdestal was wired wrong. Park would not admit there wrong doing and we now don't have a microwave for the next 2 months because we didn't have the EMS to protect the trailer. We have extended coverage and will hopefully get the microwave replaced when we get back home.
We always plug our EMS to the pedestal and let it run through a few cycles with the Rv NOT pluged in. We do this to check out the pedestal and have found a few to be defective. low or high voltage on one of the legs, Open ground.We think this is a good thing to do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
Rich, that's a good idea. I'll have to turn off the 50-amp breaker in the electrical panel and let it cycle through like you recommended. Thanks!! Still learning.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
The Progressive portable and hardwired units provide the same basic capabilities and I have complete readouts on my portable. Per the Progressive rep, the portable provides the same level of protection as
the hardwired unit. I prefer portable because I tend to swap out rigs; same reason I dont have a hardwired SAT ANT on the roof, but use a tripod instead. Old fashioned and stupid maybe, but once something is permanently installed, I feel like it goes with the unit when I trade. If portable, I move to the new. One advantage to the hardwired units is that you can get a remote readout, and install inside instead of having to go to the pedestal to view the continous readouts. A second advantage of the hardwired units is weather protection; the Progressive unit is weather resistant, not weatherproof and needs to be protected from heavy rains. I found that out the hardway when I fried the motherboard because of moisture inside the box; Progressive replaced at no cost (under the 12 month warranty), but indicated how the motherboard was ruined, and provided a heavy plastic wrap for use in bad weather. No problems since. And of course, portable more theft prone, and has to be set up for each use.

There is a minute or two delay, when plugged into the pedestal. The Box fires up, and starts it's check, but will not pass power to the Montana until everything checks good.

Curious as to how the Progressive unit caused a TV coax cable to burn up?
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #30
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have the same Progressive hard-wired 50 amp EMS in the current rig as the last rig. Took about 5 minutes to remove it from the 3400 and about 15 to install it in the 3750. Don't have to think about it since it is hard-wired, just plug the rig in and know that it is doing it's job.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #31
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Actually you can have 2 Displays with the PI hardwired unit. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_rds.htm Currently I have my display in the hallway next to the switches for the slides & awning. I plan to add one of these to the convince center. Right now I have to enter the trailer to check the status. I like having the display inside but during setup it is a pain to have to enter the trailer to check the status.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #32
oldgeezor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12003
I assume if you were at a campground that only had 30 Amp service, you wold plug your 30 amp dogbone into the pedestal and they your 50 Amp portable surge protector into your dogbone, let it cycle up for a minute and then plug the 50 amp power line to the trailer? As a newbie I am not the familar with all the RV ins/outs but slowly picking up things off this forum. Thanks
oldgeezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #33
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
The 50C models work down to 15-amps along with 30 & 50 amps. They tell me they cycle automatically when first plugged in and do not allow power to the coach until the system check is complete and OK.

How do you guys run wires in these coaches? Are you dropping the under belly shield??
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I put mine right next to my transfer switch. There was more than enough electrical cable that I did not have to add any cable. I also like that it keeps my electrical all together.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
There is usually plenty of wire coming from the back of the circuit breaker/fuse panel to install a hardwired system. You'll still need some pieces of #8 gauge wire but not a lot. Well worth the time, money & effort (IMHO). 1st mod I made to the Monty.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #36
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
I wasn't clear about running wire. The EMS-HW50C has a remote display with a phone-like cord on it. I was contemplating running that wire somewhere so I can see it when I am setting up. Ideally I would have 2 displays but going with 1 for now and see how it works out. Has anyone run their display into the basement area? Where do you put yours?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #37
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
When we do set-up, I'm usually doing the outside stuff while DW is doing the inside. I'm thinking of just incorporating her checking the status while inside and reporting it to me to the outside. That way it's inside where it will be convenient at all times other than initial set-up. We do this with things like the water - when I turn on the city water, she opens up a faucet so it takes pressure off the initial turn on.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote