Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Inverter Prep by Keystone?

Thought we would check back in as it has been awhile. We are getting ready to place our order for a 2012 3582RL. We have been spending some time on the Escapee's forum trying to learn about boondocking needs BEFORE we order.

We anticipate that we will go with an external genset rather than the Onan 5K. We will in the future be upgrading the house batteries to at least 4 6V AGM's. It is suggested we install a 2000 watt inverter/charger along with a good battery monitoring system When we upgrade the battery bank down the road.

In preparation for the inverter it is recommended adding another subpanel into the unit and have the AC circuits run to it. It is then a simpler matter to install the inverter.

Has anyone either done this or know of someone who has had Keystone do this as an option when they had their unit built. I suppose I can call Keystone but it would be good to find out what I can from other owners.

Thanks!

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Would you really trust Keystone to do this? Get a good solar man.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We have four 6v house batteries with a 2000w inverter/charger in our MH. It came with a very sophisticated monitoring system and an AGS (Auto Gen Starting) system. The unit you described will run everything in your Montana very easily. If you are considering doing a lot of dry camping, you might consider the AGS. You can program the gen to come on at certain times or when the batteries reach a specified amount of discharge. Sorry, can't help with the installation.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
One thing Keystone doesn't do is custom coach building. I asked for HDMI cables from the entertainment center to each of the TV locations and was told by the dealer that it would be no problem. When it came time to go online i got through to Keystone and was told they do not do custom orders.
Get someone knowledgeable on the system you like and install it after delivery.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote