Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #21
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Mine was delivered yesterday to son's house across town. Will try and pick it up tomorrow and give an opinion. Purchased from Butchsservices.com using their ebay link. Think I'll like it.
What brand hitch are you installing the device on? Let us know how the installation went. Maybe a couple of pics too. Better get mine on order before there is a MOC rush on them!

tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Thanks bw2!!! I see what you mean in that it pulls out of the way to hitch or unhitch from the hitch plate. Per Bigred's description, this makes it easier to use than the other versions where you must raise the hitch pin around them.

One must now just hope the bolts drilled into the hitch plate are strong enough to hold the disconnecting trailer against this bar(I'm guessing it's good). I am beginning to like this $50 version more and more. I wonder how much it weighs versus the other styles (only for curiosity sake).

I don't think this device is anywhere near the weight of a blue ox bedsaver, there is really nothing there compared to the blue ox. I was thinking the the main bar was solid, but after reading about it I believe it is heavy walled tubing.

On edit, after further review of the pictures, The main bar looks to be a solid bar, which would be heavier, but again no where near the blue ox.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
After I dropped the trailer on to the bed of the truck and took the tailgate out, my fault. I didn't latch the handle, I was just moving it in the yard, I decided to do something that would prevent that from happening again. So I drilled two holes in the receiver part of the hitch and put a jack handle from an old ratchet bumper jack though the holes. It worked well as I forgot to take it out when I unhitched and it dragged the trailer without bending. This was before they had "hitch catchers". Many years ago.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
I like it because it will work on my B&W hitch, the others won't.
Tom
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #25
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I feel if you need a device like this you should go for the blue ox bedsaver as it is a passive back out to hitching failure. I see this as one more step in the hitching process. Everyone needs to follow a good check list when loading the trailer.

This is what I've done to help with my hitching the trailer. The hitch is painted white and the black like should be lined up with the pin!

I know not all hitches are built like mine but a good check list would be a great help, or use a passive system like the blue ox.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #26
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Well... I couldn't resist. Seems like such a great, simple, secure device that I ordered one. I will be installing it on an 18K Hidden Hitch. Let ya know how the install goes. Gives me something to do during my week off after Christmas.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #27
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
CORattler-- Where do you think the Blue Ox Bedsaver is made! It's made in Pender, Nebraska, USA! It's totally designed and manufactured here in Nebraska and shipped wherever you are or to any of the business' that sell the units. Blue Ox has many a hitch model they manufacture the Bedsaver for. I can provide anyone with a list of the models of the hitches they make the Bedsaver for if you like! They don't make the Bedsaver for all models but if you contact them they MAY design a Bedsaver for your specific model IF you can take the time to come to Nebraska with your hitch. There have been several of our MOC members that have had a Bedsaver designed, manufactured and installed for them at the Blue OX factory. We have had Blue Ox at our Central Plains Regional Rally the post two years and plan on asking them to come back again this year. We also arranged to have them at the last Fall Rally in Goshen. They installed about 13 or 14 Bedsavers at the Rally and the units that they did not have with them were sent to the Montana owner shipping free if they wanted one. I neither work for or receive any comp from Blue Ox. I'm just a proud and happy owner of the Blue Ox Bedsaver and extremely happy to have it connected to my hitch in the TV and know that IF there is a failure or a miss hitch of the Monte to the TV and the Monte should drop from the hitch, it will be caught by the Bedsaver and I will save about $3000 in damage to the TV.
I myself would like to see this new "bedsaver" in action and see if it will really take a full drop and if it will keep the fifth wheel up and not damage the TV bedrails! Those of you that have ordered the new units, let us know what you think and if it will live up to its advertising!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #28
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Well, received my bedsaver from Butches in just a few days. Took just 30 minutes to install it. It is a very solid, quality product. I installed it on a Hidden Hitch 18K hitch. I had to pull out the six roll pins located underneth the bedsaver that are used to locate/butt up against the rear edge of the hitch plate. I included a link to the pictures of the installation.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...0Installation/

The bedsaver will be very simple to use and will easily become just part of my hitching and unhitching process.

I also like the fact that I get a lot of "Peace of Mind" with hardly any additional weight added. Now with any luck, I will never have to put it to the test!

Merry Christmas
Don