Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #21
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
That is almost brand new. Has nothing to do with propane/electric, it's water hardness. Do NOT wire brush, just wasting it that way. It does NOT conduct an electrical current.
not true..read on this quote... i will paste the web site it is from below

To prevent the tank from rusting or your heater element from corroding, the brilliant plumbers and chemists of long ago created a sacrificial rod for the water heater tank. The idea was that the anode rod would corrode first, leaving the metal of the tank (and element if you have an electric water heater) alone - saving you from dealing with a rusty behemoth that randomly springs leaks. This works because the anode rod possesses a lower, more negative, electrochemical potential than that of the water heater's steel composition. The negatively charged electrons create a higher voltage to flow from the anode rod to the steel tank causing the anode rod to corrode instead of the steel water heater tank, or other exposed metals such as electric elements. The anode rod is "self-sacrificing" and will continue to corrode until eventually it must be replaced. When there's no sacrifical metal left on the anode, the tank can rust out - which is why it is so important to

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/under...node-rods.html

the current is VERY weak but never the less it is there

change yours regularly.

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Change yours regularly. ?

Why do that just buy a Camco combination anode rod petcock drain part number 11533 and drain the heater between every use. I've had one for over 7 years even transferred from one camper to the next and it's still not worn out yet.

On another note I can't imagine what the water in the water heater looks like after three or four months of sitting there without moving
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #23
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Don’t worry to much about the thinning, there’s a metal rod that goes up in the center.
I was just as surprised when I took mine out after 4 months. I went an purchased two. When I replace it next time I buy two more. Just to have a spare..
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #24
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
That is what the anode is supposed to do and even in that condition it will allow plenty of electrical current to protect the tank from galvanic erosion. Also, no need to worry about it breaking off inside the tank. There is a steel rod in the center of the anode donor material. I remove the anode from my heater every year when I winterize and I flush the tank. In the eight years I've owned my Monty I have replaced the anode once.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #25
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Looks normal to me and, you don't have to wire brush them.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote