Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
JCBlack98802

M.O.C. #26976
Question Backup Generator questions

I am adding an Onan 5000 Watt gasoline generator. I was contemplating purchasing the 7000 Watt generator but don't know what the weight limit is inside the electrical/battery storage area for a generator. Anyone have any thoughts? The Onan and the Honda gasoline 7000 watt units weight 290 lbs. each. The Honda doesn't have a remote start or an exhaust kit that I could find yet. Onan has a recommended ATS but with the Honda, build your own is pretty much the standard. The Honda is about 10 decibels quieter.
My other thought was to mount the generator behind the cab of my pickup and just run a cord from the electrical compartment to the pickup but of course that would not allow me to drive anywhere while the wife stays cool inside with the AC running.
Anyone know the weight limit inside that compartment? It looks pretty flimsy with the wholes cut in the floor of it in the shape of a large rectangle form. I assume that is for ventilation. Wouldn't be very good to be driving down a bumpy road and have my generator fall through the floor and end up taking out the axles and everything else.
Thank you
JCBlack98802 is offline   Reply With Quote