Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Hitching up

Being new at this, we seem to have our problems hitching up. (Only done this twice now). We have a Pull-Right 16K and full size bed. The problem is getting the right height of the coach to back into. It takes us forever!! Any hints!!

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:01 AM   #2
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I generally back up close and then do my final height adjustment with the pin close to the hitch. Makes it much easier to judge when the proper height is reached.

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I agree with wileecotote985. Additionally, what has been the biggest time saver for me and eliminates getting the exact height is to bring the king pin on the 5th wheel slightly lower than the truck hitch. When you backup, the hitch plate on your truck will automatically raise the king pin on the trailer to the correct height. That's why the hitch is slopped, it's designed to do that.

Good luck
Steve

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 AM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I have a level on my door on drivers side of monty that has two levels. One can rotate when you get the trailer raised enough to unhook then you set the bubble between the lines. Then when ready to hook back up just raise or lower the trailer to the right spot. Think I got it at the Montana dealer where we bought the trailer.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:38 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I'm with ronstan, The level is great and saves getting in and out a couple times. Just set the level between the lines when you are at the point the hitch is almost ready to seperate from the fifth wheel. Then go about your business. When time to rehook,lower or raise the unit back to where the bubble is between the lines. And back under.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I agree with ronstan and jsmitfl about the level. It is a great tool to have with you. You can order them from Camping World or just stop by any RV supply store and should be able to pick one up.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I don't use this method but I was talking to a guy in a C.G. and showed me how he does it. He has a chain cut to the proper length which is attached to the pin box and stored their when ready to hitch he drops the chain and lifts or lowers the fiver till the chain just hits the ground.Works for him
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
DCP,

CW has a 4 inch level which is quite simple. When you unhook you set the slide marker where the bubble on the level is. Unhook, level out your 5th. Now when you are ready to hook up again, you just lower the 5th to where the bubble matches the slide marker which you previously set. Has worked remarkable well for me. Ah...the simple things make life so much easier.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #9
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We do it like Wileecoyote...get it in the nieghborhood, then back the truck up to where the hitch is about 6 inches from the kingpin (by the way, we have the same setup you have-- long bed and Pull-Rite). I then adjust it by eye, keeping the kingpin just a little low so the truck goes down just a bit when mating. After a few hitch-ups, we've gotten a pretty good idea of the correct height. That being said, I like the level idea! Someday I might have to go hi-tecH!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't have a fifth wheel yet I am still in the TT which is even harder to see.However I use the handy dandy Wife method for hook up.She stands back there and tell me where to go,,,she is very good at telling me where to go..I also note several members of our camper group in Fifth wheels using the above bubble method..I will use that method in addition to the .wife tell you what to do method...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I tried it several ways, even using a measuring tape to measure the height at which I disengaged and recording it for hook up. That really works by-the-way. Like many others have said, the adjustable level has, over time proven to be the easiest and quickest.

With either the tape measure, chain, or the level, the trick is to get the king pin set at the right height for attachment BEFORE even starting to back toward the hitch. If you are good a lining up through your rear window, you can do this without a helper.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I just use my shoulder against the storage door where the switch for the landing gear is located. I have learned where the top of the opening hits my shoulder and that gets it pretty close for hook up. It doesn't have to be perfect to hitch up.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have found it is easier to hitch up having the king pin lower than the Superglide. By allowing the king pin plate to slide onto the hitch it will force the truck to squat and allow the perfect hitch every time. The main thing I use to make sure I have the right height is the king pin will just clear the fifth wheel tailgate without having to lower the gate. Seems to work for me, and as others have said you will find your perfect way after a few times of doing it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave & Emily, we use a homemade adjustable level (see below). When we pull the truck out from under, we center this bubble and lock it down. Then level the coach. When ready to hitch up, we raise/lower the nose of the Montana until this bubble is again centered. We are then at the precise height as when we unhitched. We are at the right height nearly every time.

Any "arm" with a thumbscrew lockdown will work. Just attach the level to the arm.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 AM   #15
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Mostly I'm a low-tech guy. I use the tape measure to get the approximate height. BUT, I have a key-fob landing gear controller. So, as I back the hitch close to the pin plate, I can raise or lower the landing gear from the cab as I get close. It has eliminated the need for my wife to tell me "where to go." I also always tip the hitch plate back so the pin rides up and into place solidly. Works for me! Do whatever works for you, too.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Capn Chris, stand aside for a really low tech guy! I just make sure the bed rails will clear (usually not a problem) then back so hitch is just near the pin. I raise or lower by sight to get the pin/slide just lower than the hitch/slide. By sight, if the pin is centered, I make the final back-in. Not a recommendation. But for sure it is the way I actually do it. Usually a one/two step procedure.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:02 AM   #17
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Saw Dave Anderson at the Western rally this past weekend. He added a small weight and a little additional cable to the disconnect brake cable. When the 5er is at the right height the weight just touches the ground. I'm doing that this week.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:17 AM   #18
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
The level and guage setting where you took it off is OK IF you rememmber to use it all the time and alway do the idiot check before hitching.
I couple next to us in a CG put a nice ding in his tail gate by thinking the guage setting was right,it was left in the possition he un hooked two times ago. Band new truck, he sure felt bad.
I believe you alway should verify what you are doing, at my age its getting very important.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:05 AM   #19
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We use the level set it and when it is time to hitch up no problems.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #20
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
We use a metal yardstick and an erasable marker. We put a mark on the yardstick (at our reference point on the M) when it's at unhitch heigth. When hooking up, we raise the 5vr to the mark and we're right on every time.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote