Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Amen and double ditto!! That's why we have 20 acres in the Ozarks!! Nearest neighbor is about a mile away. We can do just about anything we want with our property. Never have understood folks wanting to live in town anyway. Particularly RV folks. We go to the countryside for vacations but live in a town? Why not LIVE where you vacation??
Agreed. We lived in HOA’s for decades and finally reached our breaking point. Bought 42 acres of land and built a house in the middle of it. I’ll park anything I want anywhere I want. Will never pay to park anything off site again.

Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:40 PM   #22
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Housing prices in HOAs dropped right along with everyone elses in the market crash. The idea that they protect prices is really not accurate. If the markets down, it's down everywhere. If it's up, it's up. The point is, the market determines value, not your neighbors RV or house color.
I agree with your earlier recommendation to the OP andsell out and go full time.

HOAs have nothing to do with market conditions. If someone takes pride in their home and keeps it up, the value is going to higher than a poorly maintained property. If the neighbors homes looks like Sanford and Son it lowers property values. An HOA has the ability to enforce standards as written for their own community thus maintaining relative values. Folks have the right to live like slobs if they choose, in areas where it is allowed. I'm OK with that too. It is a shame though to see junk yards in otherwise beautiful countryside.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #23
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I agree with your earlier recommendation to the OP andsell out and go full time.

HOAs have nothing to do with market conditions. If someone takes pride in their home and keeps it up, the value is going to higher than a poorly maintained property. If the neighbors homes looks like Sanford and Son it lowers property values. An HOA has the ability to enforce standards as written for their own community thus maintaining relative values. Folks have the right to live like slobs if they choose, in areas where it is allowed. I'm OK with that too. It is a shame though to see junk yards in otherwise beautiful countryside.
Right. HOAs don't have anything to do with market conditions. That's why they don't protect against home value fluctuations. In a perfect world, two identical homes, one maintained, the other not, should have different selling prices. It's obvious the unmaintained home did not negatively impact the maintained home, as it will sell for more.

The selling point of HOAs is not really about protecting home values, it's more about protecting people's prejudices. As you stated, you don't want hillbillies living next door, even if they're the Beverley Hillbillies. IMO, it's better to focus at the three fingers pointing at yourself, rather than the one finger pointing at others...just saying. If something is unsafe or unsanitary next door, you have a town or county office that's already paid to handle it. There is no need for an HOA.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #24
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live out in the country no HOA. so I thought we could do whatever we pleased. Well maybe not. Our neighbors had cattle sold then a few years ago and decided to get more cattle. Their neighbor went to the county and the county said they couldn’t have cattle if they hadn’t had them in 10 years. They have 6 horses but they didn’t qualify but hogs did.???
Another neighbor was building a house up on a hill where a goat couldn’t get. After he got started with all the permits in hand. The country came and showed him pictures taken with a drone of the time he had a dozer on the place.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We live in a HOA in Florida with no problems. If you live in a HOA it is your responsibility to know and understand the rules before you buy there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #27
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
HOA’s in a residential neighborhood are for the most part a necessary evil. Without the rules sooner or later people will start to screw things up to test and exceed the limits. As much as we hated the HOA rules in the past we agreed to them when signing the paperwork buying the property.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #28
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I have never had a problem over multiple days in the driveway but I have also been a Trustee and Treasurer of our subdivision since 1999. Membership has its privileges.
Is throwing salt in a new member's wounds really the way to make them feel welcome? I'm sure your neighbors just love you and your attitude of board members being above others.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #29
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
just to make this quick and to the point.

I notify my hoa by e-mail of my intended trip and need to start the refrigerator getting cold before the food.

in that notification i let them know the trailer will be off the road in 2 days (or 3)

i have no problem this way and their answer back to me i save for legal reasons
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #30
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
I moved from Corona,Ca. with no HOA to a place in Idaho with HOA. I built a house in 1990 on the outskirts of Corona on a 5 acre lot. In those 30 years all the 5 acre lots got sold & everything got built out. Super cool neighbors. Until the people next door bought the place about 3 years ago & decided to build a kennel & house 39 barking chihuahua's. These dogs barked all the time day nite weekends etc. All of us neighbors got together & took this lady to the County of Riverside & had a meeting. Not a damn thing we could do. Because it was zoned agricultural. We sold our house a year ago & I have zero regrets. Do your homework when you get a HOA. The one I'm in is $100.00 a year & very lax. Before I bought this place I talked to the neighbors & read the convents twice.
I'm on 2 acres & I can build a garage for my 5th wheel or put my 5th wheel on side of my house like a few neighbors. I'm 66 years old. So spending 50 or 60k to build a 5th wheel garage to store doesn't make financial sense for me. I'll probably be doing this another 10 years max. I store my 5th wheel indoors 5 miles from here for $1,500.00 a year.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #31
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Our HOA rules were ambiguous. had our camper at home for loading and unloading and short maintenance stops. Came home once and had a flat. Took a bit to get fixed. HOA and managememt company became unreasonable and made up a rule to be nasty. Drafted a specific rule got the the rule refined, got the required 2/3s signatures and now can keep it in the driveway 4 days at a time. And got to meet some great neighbors and some home decorating tips
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I live out in the country no HOA. so I thought we could do whatever we pleased. Well maybe not. Our neighbors had cattle sold then a few years ago and decided to get more cattle. Their neighbor went to the county and the county said they couldn’t have cattle if they hadn’t had them in 10 years. They have 6 horses but they didn’t qualify but hogs did.???
Another neighbor was building a house up on a hill where a goat couldn’t get. After he got started with all the permits in hand. The country came and showed him pictures taken with a drone of the time he had a dozer on the place.
Lynwood
Man alive what state do you live in??? Its decidedly not that way here in Arkansas!!! Sounds like one of those states where the government tries to control everything?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I did say county. You must have missed that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #34
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I did say county. You must have missed that.
Lynwood
Ok sorry, What State is this county located in? There are parts of this country where the government is very heavy handed on what you can and can't do and other states where there are very few enforced regulations in the rural areas.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We live in a HOA in Florida with no problems. If you live in a HOA it is your responsibility to know and understand the rules before you buy there.

It appears some on this thread have a hard time understanding that. Don't like the rules ,don't buy .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #36
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Brake out the HOA bopok and see where you can't park on the street overnight. You may have to have a layer take a look to explain it to you. Otherwise get on the board. Those guys never follow the rules.

I had my RV parked in front of my house for about 4 weeks, popped out and everything. We gutted the house to remodel it. No one said nothing. I have the best neighbors.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #37
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoon View Post
Hi, I’m fairly new to camping. We picked up our first Montana about a month ago. We generally pick up our 5ER from storage and park at our house overnight while we load for a trip. Now our HOA is giving us a problem aboutparking it in the development overnight.

Just curious if others have had similar issues? if so, how did you resolve it?

Thank you! We love camping so far so it wouldn’t terrible if our HOA czars force us to full time!
Our home is in an HOA. We've never encountered a problem before, but the longest we've had our trailer parked out on the street was 3-4 days. Then again, we bought into the neighborhood when there were no homes there yet and bid on our property. We have known all our neighbors for close to 18 years. I would suggest calling your HOA and talking to them. They need to accommodate you somehow with a reasonable time frame for getting your RV, and prepping it for a trip. The last thing you want is to start a war over it. I hear a poor Vet, who refused to remove an in ground flag pole, has thousands in fines, and is looking at losing his home. I hope to God he can prevail. Let us know what the HOA says and the outcome.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #38
DHoon

M.O.C. #27087
All, thank you very much for the helpful feedback. To those who suggested we should have read the covenants before buying, I would like to assure you that I did read them before buying my house five years ago and before buying a fifth wheel a month ago.

I am interested in your thoughts to the below. The first section is my HOA’s interpretation of the rule, followed by the actual covenant. Our interpretation is that we are fine to park in the street indefinitely l, so long as we do not keep or store the RV on our property.

Recreational Vehicles (RVs), motor homes, boats, etc are not permitted in the community nor are they permitted to be parked overnight in our community. Generally, the board allows short periods of loading and unloading during the day. If you desire to keep it any longer in the community, please coordinate that approval first with the HOA Board -- refer to Covenants, Article X, Section 1.m

Article X Section 1
(m) Objectionable Vehicles. Except as elsewhere herein provided, no junk or inoperable vehicle or other vehicle on which currently valid registration plates are not displayed, commercial vehicle, trailer, camper, camp truck, house trailer, boat, or other similar machinery or equipment of any kind or character (except for such equipment and machinery as may be reasonable, customary and usual in connection with the use and maintenance of any dwelling and except for such equipment and machinery as the Association may require in connection with the maintenance and operation of the Common Areas) shall be kept upon the Property nor shall the repair or extraordinary maintenance of automobiles or other vehicles be carried out thereon. The Board may, in its discretion, provide and maintain a suitable area designated for the parking of such vehicles or the like.
DHoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #39
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoon View Post
All, thank you very much for the helpful feedback. To those who suggested we should have read the covenants before buying, I would like to assure you that I did read them before buying my house five years ago and before buying a fifth wheel a month ago.

I am interested in your thoughts to the below. The first section is my HOA’s interpretation of the rule, followed by the actual covenant. Our interpretation is that we are fine to park in the street indefinitely l, so long as we do not keep or store the RV on our property.

Recreational Vehicles (RVs), motor homes, boats, etc are not permitted in the community nor are they permitted to be parked overnight in our community. Generally, the board allows short periods of loading and unloading during the day. If you desire to keep it any longer in the community, please coordinate that approval first with the HOA Board -- refer to Covenants, Article X, Section 1.m

Article X Section 1
(m) Objectionable Vehicles. Except as elsewhere herein provided, no junk or inoperable vehicle or other vehicle on which currently valid registration plates are not displayed, commercial vehicle, trailer, camper, camp truck, house trailer, boat, or other similar machinery or equipment of any kind or character (except for such equipment and machinery as may be reasonable, customary and usual in connection with the use and maintenance of any dwelling and except for such equipment and machinery as the Association may require in connection with the maintenance and operation of the Common Areas) shall be kept upon the Property nor shall the repair or extraordinary maintenance of automobiles or other vehicles be carried out thereon. The Board may, in its discretion, provide and maintain a suitable area designated for the parking of such vehicles or the like.
I’m confused it’s spells it out pretty plain , no overnight parking . What’s the issue here .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #40
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
What part makes you think you can keep it in the community (the street)?

It does mention an area that may be designated to park such vehicles. Would that open opportunities?

Tags
hoa