Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
?s after walking on the roof

Finally steeled up enough courage to crawl all the way up on the roof and would appreciate some feedback on several observations I made.

1. I am pretty sure the roof needs a good cleaning. Part of the time I was on my hands and knees poking around and there was a gray and white residue on both when I stood up. Would I be correct in presuming this is what is causing the black streaks but that it is also natural?
2. There was a tiny bit of spring in the roof. Now, I weigh 250 lbs., so would this be normal?
3. There was a bit of rust on the outside of the front most vent. What can I do to combat this?

As always, thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wordsmith,

1.) I believe the white stuff is called "chalking", and the fact that you have some, I believe is one of the indicators that the roof does indeed need cleaning. Get out your paper work on Montana and see if the cleaning is covered in the manual. We use Dawn dishwashing cleaner, you can also do a search here at MOC and find a lot of discussions on roof cleaning.

2.) spring?? no idea, I do NOT go up there, Al does. sorry, one of the others will come along and tell ya.

3.)Rust, sand, and paint, or replace. We had ONE vent that rusted, but we were still under warranty so it was replaced by Keystone.

I applaud your ability to even get up on that roof, personally I have never been able to get myself past the 3rd rung of ANY ladder!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
The white chalking is just normal oxidation, a good cleaning with Dawn soap and soft brush will take that off. For bad stains, I use Greased Lightning cut half with water in a garden sprayer, leave on a few minutes then hit lightly with the soft brush and wash off with water hose. CAUTION: this stuff will make the rubber roof very slick, so wear some rubber soled shoes with good traction. I apply to about 25% of the roof surface at a time, this allows me to stand on the untreated section of the roof and reach the treated area with the long handled brush. After cleaning, I apply a coat of 303 Protectant with a soft cloth. As for the rust on the vent, just use some WD40. The roof will spring some if you step down between the roof trusses. I weigh 170 and get some that.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Be careful not to use any cleaner containing petroleum products. Dichor roofing material doesn't like that. As others have said, Dawn dish soap is a good cleaner for rubber roofs.

When I was at the factory last summer, they told me not to worry when walking on the roof. Some give is normal between trusses.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congratulations on topping your Monty. It's a little scary the first time up. Yes, that is causing the black streaks. Atmospheric clutter is finding a resting spot on top along with oxidation. Dew and rain bring the ooze down the sides.

I, too, have experienced the slight give while topside. We are about the same weight. The construction specks show me that the fear of it is between my ears. Never-the-less I don't plan to use it as a trampoline. I use a 3'X 3' piece of 1/4" plywood to help dissiate my weight when working near the middle of the coach.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

Finally steeled up enough courage to crawl all the way up on the roof and would appreciate some feedback on several observations I made.

1. I am pretty sure the roof needs a good cleaning. Part of the time I was on my hands and knees poking around and there was a gray and white residue on both when I stood up. Would I be correct in presuming this is what is causing the black streaks but that it is also natural?
2. There was a tiny bit of spring in the roof. Now, I weigh 250 lbs., so would this be normal?
3. There was a bit of rust on the outside of the front most vent. What can I do to combat this?

As always, thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide!
1. Dicor recommends Dawn to clean the roof. I use an applicator and then dry the completed section of with a damp rag. I don't let the dawn run down the sides.

2. I weigh about 220 and have been on my roof many times. There will be some "spring"

3. Be careful using solvents on the roof. Just clean or replace the affected area. The EDPM rubber is very thin so you can punch through it easy. Check your encap seals while up there. I have resealed my encaps once with dicor sealant. The old sealant appears to just pull off. Or you could just fill in the cracks.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sounds like you got all of the good advise, so I can not add any. Glad to hear that you made it to the top.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
WordSmith, I get on mine and I`m 240. The little bounce is because its only 3/8 ply so it gives a bit. I have no problem getting on the roof even though I hate heights. The BOSS doesn`t even get on the ladder. Its funny when neighbours see you on the roof and can`t understand why tou are up there. I tell them I`m cleaning the roof and they laugh!!?? You can tell they have never owned trailers before. For the price we pay for our units(RV`S) Maintenance is key!! Good Luck and I`m off camping for the long Can. weekend bye!! Mark
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well there is not much that I can add to the above.
Dawn dishwashing liquid is about the best cleaner for our rubber roofs and I agree with lightningjack11 don't let the dawn run down the sides but that is difficult at best. The Dawn commercial said "takes grease out of the way". Most waxes we use on the fiberglass caps and sides are to a degree grease based and the Dawn will remove the wax. As you rinse the roof use sufficient water so as to flush the Dawn down the sides as well. If possible have a second person on the ground with a second hose to better accomplish this. As I have a problem with height I usually get someone to do the roof while I rinse what runs down the sides.
The only other point is "Never use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or citric based cleaners on your EPDM roof. Using such solvents will cause irreparable damage and will most likely void your warranty. If you are uncertain about what is in the product, don't use it. Of course each EPDM manufacturer recommends using their own brand of cleaner, but all approve the use of mild laundry detergent."
For further factual (vs myths/popular beliefs) information on maintenance to our EPDM rubber roofs go here...RVbasics.com - RV Roof Care and Maintenance
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:32 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Friend Wordsmith, as you know our Montana is now three years old. We have had no black, streaks [careful, "pride goeth...etc]. This is one time I prefer to use a proprietory product: "Thetford Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner". If I'm going to climb up on the roof and clean it, I'm not going to save a few cents on the cleaning material. I then use "RV Glitter" (I think that's the name)to wash the sides of the trailer. So far, I have waxed only the front cap, which I will do again following our trip to the Southeast and before we head to Colorado.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
When I clean mine I use a ladder on the side and reach as far as I can. I do both sides and then get the remaining strip on the top by going on the roof. I don't use a hose for the roof while cleaning but a keep a clean bucket of rinse water.

In between cleanings I use a hose on the roof for rinse off. I don't let the dawn get on my waxed sides.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi,

I was told at the keystone plant not to worry about getting on the roof, I weigh 250 also. They had three guy's up there walking around when they wore working on my roof. I am sceptic about using the ladder though, I use an extention ladder and wrap the meatal parts of the ladder with foam so not to scratch the siding with the ladder. Some spring is normal, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't use WD-40 up there, as the others said. Becareful when your up there washing that roof, it gets slippery, and it's a long way down.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
This is great advice, one and all. Looks like I have my next job. One point of clarification, though—I hear you on not letting the Dawn on the sides but take it that you just rinse it several times with a bucket of water, with the idea of minimizing how much runs down the sides. Would that be correct?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #14
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Word,

I just have my own way of doing things and it may not be the best way. If dawn is not rinsed of throughly it will leave a residue.

So I usually wash and wipe a small section at a time. Keep the rinse water clean. I just stick where I am successful because I am getting older. Besides I can quit the roof any time I want and do a little each day.

Right now I am just doing it 1-2 times a year althought I do rinse of the roof quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wordsmith,

When Al and I wash Montana, he goes up, Dawn in a dishpan, a soft soft long handle brush, and a hose with sprayer.

I stand on the ground with another hose with sprayer.

He uses brush to spread around the cleaner, and to scrub, then rinses with hose for a long time.

I rinse down the sides as soon as he finishes rinsing the top, and I also rinse WELL!

Next nice day we work on the sides. Start with rinsing, then washing from the bottom up and MORE rinsing. We work on small sections of sides, back and front at a time. MORE RINSING!

Better yet, hire someone to do it for you! HA HA. If that is not workable, a cold drink or two in the lawn chair after all this work is rather nice!

Al and I try to pick warm days, cause we almost always end up in a water fight, some people just never grow up!

Carol

Old 05-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #16
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Tom and Carol, thanks for the further input. Every little bit helps! Think I will start at the front and slowly work my way to the back. I have a feeling this first time is going to be a real bear!

Oh, and Carol, nothing wrong with having a little fun while trying to maintain these “monsters.”
Old 05-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wordsmith,

One of my best friends has a kinda funny saying, could be applied to this monster, as you call it:

Get the job done the same way you eat an elephant, ONE BITE AT A TIME!!

Slow and steady will get the job done. When ya get done, our monster needs a bath too!

Carol
Old 05-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Accuprep, that ladder can handle a lot more than you'd think. I could tell you a story that convinced me beyond doubt about the strength of the mounts on the Montana and the ladder itself. Also, I vary from 190-200 and have been up and down that ladder many times.

I also use Dawn on ours although I don't do this as often as I probably should. So many RV Parks don't allow washing. I can damp rag and bucket of water the sides but they don't like me doing the roof and spraying it down. When I can, I use a long handled brush with a bucket of dawn and water. I scrub and rinse with a hose. When done I hose down the sides of the Montana. I'll usually wash the rest of the Montana at the same time. Since I use Zip Wax to wash the rig and it adds a light layer of wax I figure that's replacing any wax the dawn took off the sides.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #19
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well, I finally cleaned the roof! I have no doubt that the Monty’s previous owner NEVER washed it, but at least it is much closer to white instead of a dull gray! Marsha washed the sides as I rinsed the dirty water off the roof, and by the end of several hours, we were two decidedly tired campers—I question whether my knees will ever be the same.

I did notice, though, that there are small spots—they look like liver spots or skin cancers—dotting the rubber liner. I could not remove these, and wonder if this is normal. Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., ours has lots of those spots. Probably more spots than white at this point. I gave up trying to keep them off. Rarely does anyone but me see the roof anyhow. I figure one of these days the encroaching of the spots will totally eliminate any white spots and the roof will be a nice uniform gray color. Kind of like bermuda and zoysia take over your lawn. . A white roof would be nice but there is a limit to how much effort I am willing to make to keep something looking white when nobody sees it anyhow. I don't think I'm being lazy, just practical. Or call me lazy, if you want!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote