Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #41
ouradventurestartsnow

M.O.C. #25511
I had the same issue in the past with 2016 F350. Don’t refill DEF until truck tells you to fill. Messes with the sensors.

ouradventurestartsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #42
Rdt1012@att.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #21758
Diesel mechanic probably needs to recharge the DPF filter
Or replace
Rdt1012@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #43
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The Exhaust Gas Filter and the DEF systems are independent of one another.

When the Exhaust Gas Particulate Filter fills up, the "Regeneration" cleaning process kicks in. This consists of dumping fuel into the exhaust to heat the filter and burn off the particulates. This process needs to run to completion (around 20 mins at 35 MPH or better).

When towing, the process has a good chance of not even occurring as the Filter is hot enough to burn the particulates without additional fuel.

But as a daily driver, it is very common to take short trips which doesn't allow the system to get to operating temperature and stay there long enough to finish the cleaning. Then the next time you use the truck, it still needs to be cleaning and the same inhibitors occur. Do this enough times and the software throws up its hands and gives you the "Service" message.

The solution is to drive the truck for 20-30 minutes at freeway speeds once you see the "Cleaning" message.

There is a software hack on your 2015/2016 Ford that adds a display of how full the Exhaust Filter is. It is turned on by the mechanic or you can do it with some special software available on the Ford forums. The 2017's and up have this display already AFAIK.

The DEF system is much simpler in design. It trickles Urea into the system proportional to the amount of fuel being consumed. It really doesn't matter when you fill the tank. As long as there is sufficient Urea, the system is happy. My personal choice is to add when the level gets below 1/2 full.

Here is a You Tube video on "" which explain a lot.
Carl and Susan
You got my attention
I have a 2017 f350 and I don’t have anything that indicates exhaust filter percentages..
Factory ordered may 2017
Courious about the HACk or how to activate the display...will have to research more
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #44
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
When I had my older truck, occassionally, I would blow out everything by putting it on the floor a few times. My nephew told me that I was grandfathering it too much. Worked for me.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #45
Oilfield trash

M.O.C. #20399
I’ve got a 2015 F-350 with about 79000 miles. Warnings say filter loaded. Closes Ford dealer, next town over says no way to clean. Local mechanic says about $4000 to replace filter. Several post here about getting filter cleaned. Could you tell me more about that
Oilfield trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #46
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razahoryin View Post
Carl and Susan
You got my attention
I have a 2017 f350 and I don’t have anything that indicates exhaust filter percentages..
Factory ordered may 2017
Courious about the HACk or how to activate the display...will have to research more
I had my Ford dealer add that DPF status display to info screen on my 2017 F350. Gives percentage of fill reaches 99% then does the regen and if on display as you drive the % full decreases to 0% I believe. Admit I rarely pay that much attention but sure it reads something lower than 10%. Dealership did not charge for the program change but I was in for other service.

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #47
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razahoryin View Post
Carl and Susan
You got my attention
Factory ordered may 2017
The Ford techs appear to be able to add a new screen to the LCD. There is a blank screen to the right of “Gauges”. The tech can use the IDS system (Fords computer analyzer tool) to add a new screen which shows the how full the DPF is in a % number. When it gets to 100% a regen is initiated. The regen us rumored to stop when it drops to 30%. Take a read of this link. Post #4 is the one that gives you what you need to know.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...play-page.html

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #48
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Kind of amusing that guys are afraid of the truck stop DEF pumps. Pretty sure if there were major issues, we'd hear about the problems. If that stuff is good enough for $150,000 - $250,000 dollar rigs, I'm sure my $80,000 truck can stomach it. And, all of my trucks and equipment since 2014 has, without a single issue.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:31 AM   #49
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield trash View Post
I’ve got a 2015 F-350 with about 79000 miles. Warnings say filter loaded. Closes Ford dealer, next town over says no way to clean. Local mechanic says about $4000 to replace filter. Several post here about getting filter cleaned. Could you tell me more about that

A few You Tubes to watch. So far, I've haven't had the problem at 125K: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aning+Ford+DPF

One I saw a while back showed a DPF filter disassembled and cleaned tho not sure of the year so maybe yours can be done too.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #50
Oilfield trash

M.O.C. #20399
Not getting PM to go. Was asked what screen message was. It said filet overloaded, needs service
Oilfield trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #51
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
I have been told to always check to be sure the security seal under the cap of the DEF in jugs is intact. Apparently people are using it then returning it filled with water.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #52
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
I
One can get a free diagnostic scan at most Auto parts store. Or purchase a scanner for that will read and reset codes. The weak point for diesel engines these days is the smog system requied. It is also nice to have spare exhaust sensors handy for error codes that seriously derate or shut down the engine. for example if either of the 4 exhaust temperature sensors fail the engine will go to idle mode within a few minutes of a warning.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #53
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfthorp View Post
I have been told to always check to be sure the security seal under the cap of the DEF in jugs is intact. Apparently people are using it then returning it filled with water.

How true. I have a jug of DEF from Walmart that I checked a couple days ago - seal is not fastened down and it will not be used. That DEF will go down the drain and a replacement purchased tomorrow
Old 12-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #54
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave10 View Post
I
One can get a free diagnostic scan at most Auto parts store. Or purchase a scanner for that will read and reset codes. The weak point for diesel engines these days is the smog system requied. It is also nice to have spare exhaust sensors handy for error codes that seriously derate or shut down the engine. for example if either of the 4 exhaust temperature sensors fail the engine will go to idle mode within a few minutes of a warning.

If you have a Ford, that was corrected under mandatory recall about 3 years ago via TSB 14E03.

Wanna buy a couple surplus exhaust temp sensors?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #55
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
I had my Ford dealer add that DPF status display to info screen on my 2017 F350. Gives percentage of fill reaches 99% then does the regen and if on display as you drive the % full decreases to 0% I believe. Admit I rarely pay that much attention but sure it reads something lower than 10%. Dealership did not charge for the program change but I was in for other service.
There are a couple other options. On my '14 (only had the basic display in the instrument cluster) I used an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD reader to send data to a small tablet or smart phone running 'Torque Pro". I could monitor DPF status and had an icon that told me if a regen was active. It also could read a bunch of other things including error codes and could also clear codes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orque&hl=en_US

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On my '19 I used "FORScan" to enable the DPF status screen myself (same thing Ford would do). I also did a couple other convenience items like disable that annoying double horn beep when you walk away from the truck. It does not have the indicator to tell when a regen is active, but I watch the DPF status and can see when it is about to start. That way I can drive past my house for about 20 minutes to make the truck happy!

Link to OBD scanner that works with FORScan. (There are other options) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to a ton for FORScan information. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...readsheet.html

If you decide to use FORScan, make sure you read all the disclaimers and understand what you are doing. Back up all the originals. Looks like there might be issues with the 2020 models.

I hope everyone understands that there is no relationship between the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) (which regenerates) and Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). If not, read post 10. This thread seems to go back and forth between the two topics as if they were related.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #56
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
How true. I have a jug of DEF from Walmart that I checked a couple days ago - seal is not fastened down and it will not be used. That DEF will go down the drain and a replacement purchased tomorrow
Hey Dave, You can bring the tampered DEF Back for an exchange, I had to do that.
I only buy Peak blue DEF in the 2.5 gl. Box now, on sale for 8.00!
I called Peak and found out how to read the date code, I think he said it's good for two years, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a battery operated transfer pump 8.00 with coupon for pumping the DEF! I liked it so much I got another one for the tractor,
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #57
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mustang View Post
Hey Dave, You can bring the tampered DEF Back for an exchange, I had to do that.
I only buy Peak blue DEF in the 2.5 gl. Box now, on sale for 8.00!
I called Peak and found out how to read the date code, I think he said it's good for two years, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a battery operated transfer pump 8.00 with coupon for pumping the DEF! I liked it so much I got another one for the tractor,

If I still had the receipt, for sure it would go back but like you, will probably just back to buying the Peak Blue instead of the Walmart house brand. That's at least in a box and the few extra bucks per year aren't worth the trouble.

I'll have to take a look at that HF pump. It might be well worth it if it will transfer diesel out of the can to my tractor which is too old (35) for DEF. I have a kinda expensive one but it's getting tired
Old 12-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #58
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If I still had the receipt, for sure it would go back but like you, will probably just back to buying the Peak Blue instead of the Walmart house brand. That's at least in a box and the few extra bucks per year aren't worth the trouble.

I'll have to take a look at that HF pump. It might be well worth it if it will transfer diesel out of the can to my tractor which is too old (35) for DEF. I have a kinda expensive one but it's getting tired
I brought my DEF back ( no receipt to Walmart ) for exchange, no problem.
I actually have three pumps DEF, diesel and gas for the lawn tractor!
Happy new year bro. ✌🏻️
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #59
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
The emissions problems are not unique to Ford, Chevy, or Ram.

When I began to have CELs for emmissions related issues and found no resolve through any of the dozens of dealers I took it to, I ended up deleting the emmissions and haven't had a problem since. No more DEF required.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #60
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
For you diesel Ford guys there is a free program out there called Forscan (https://forscan.org/home.html). You can add a % amount to show you how full the DPF is.

On my F350 2015 the DPF filled up the first week I arrived at Key West since I was only driving 1-5 miles. The key is to run it at least weekly on the road for at least a half hour or so. The Forscan % seems to help me understand when it will go into regen status.

As for DEF fluid after you fill it up throw the remaining amount out...don't keep it, get fresh DEF the next time.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote