Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve, Jean sounds like my DH but he has found space in our Monty for his rations for the "big one". When he starts invading the clothes storage areas with canned goods, I make him move them to "his" truck!
Happy trails.......................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I'll tell you, reading this thread has really helped me in doing this. It has also motivated me to get things done. I packed up all the books (14 boxes!!), and made several trips down to the dumpster. Six garbage bags of stuff to toss, and I've barely made a dent in that room from he!!. When I start losing focus, I think about you others who did it, and it gets me moving. I have to take many breaks which makes it hard to stay on track, but if I don't I will pay for it dearly pain wise with my fusion. If I zone out on pain pills, I'll lose focus anyway...LOL So, one day at a time, but at least now I'm not shutting the door until "tomorrow". I have to take the Monty to the dealership tomorrow since it's going to be a decent day weather wise, but as soon as I get back...I'm headed for that room!! This reminds me of a t-shirt I used to have back in the 70's. I CAME...I SAW...I TOOK A VALIUM!!LOL

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #23
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
The papers are signed and we are in our new home. Actually, I should say it isn't a new home, we bought my brothers out when my dad passed away four years ago. I am still at the kennel until the end of April so I can't say that I am retired yet. The new owners of our business are young and very energetic and have added hours that they will be open. We will be taking the Montana out this next weekend for three days. We had the second AC installed this week, the problem with the slide stopping, and the bracket under the slide that holds the wiring fixed at the dealership.

I really had to get down to the bare bones towards the end of the tossing things and keeping things. We managed to fill up a 30 yard dumpster with things that wouldn't go into the garage sale. I started this thread saying that I would have the garage sale at the first of April...... here is hoping that it happens the first weekend in May if the weather is nice.

We are so looking forward to being able to use our home away from home. I am sure that I will have lots of questions when we start using it more. I will also have more time now to read the posts and gain invaluable knowledge from a great group of people. I can't wait until we can make a rally to meet everyone.

Thanks so much for your guidance and information.... but most of all thanks for understanding how hard it is to let go of things. For those that have had to leave your stick house and go straight to your RV my hat is off to you. I don't think we will ever go full timing, but I sure will enjoy months out of a year in our Montana.

You guys and gals are a great group of people. Thanks for all of your kindness since I have joined the forum. I hope to get hubby on the boards so he can read all of the technical stuff. When the wiring bracket broke.... I told him that was what I was looking for during the PDI. He hates the computer so I will just have to drag him to the thread

One last time.....thanks

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:57 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations on the sale of your kennel and your move and for all the work that you've accomplished.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for getting your hubby on the forum. I do a lot of reading to mine who rarely posts, even about three years.......rarely, if ever.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #25
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Most of the work is almost done in here now. I had to slow down because I was overpacking. You know, packing things that I need until the last day...LOL Went into the linen closet for a clean bath towel...it was empty...LOL Put the blinders on, zone out so emotions don't come into play, and you end up having to open boxes back up for things you need. Next week, I'll narrow down the moving day and get that scheduled, then it's just a matter of those last little details.

Now that the decision to go fulltime has been made, I just want this part of it to be over with. Being "in-between" drives me nuts, and makes me feel very unsettled. So, I'm looking forward to this being done, and going into the next phase of my life...:-)

Those of you also going through this...I truly feel your pain!! But, hang in there, and know that the only thing that stays the same...is change:-)

Jan
Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 AM   #26
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have had our home on the market for almost a year. During that time we have been getting rid of things a little at a time. I have a back injury and can't do a lot packing at a time. Waiting on the right buyer has been a blessing in that respect. Anyway, we have downsized to the point that we won't need a very large storage unit to hold the things we have decided to keep. My daughters were here yesterday and I told them we were going to open a "time capsule". (I had removed everything that was stored in the crawl space this week.) We opened a barrel that had been sealed 12 - 14 years ago that contained some of their toys. We managed to send the toys home with them or the grandchildren and threw away the damaged ones. I've also got several things I will be selling/giving away on Craigslist in the next few weeks. When this house finally sells we will be ready to go!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 AM   #27
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We had an auction in 99. Like others, we left TX in July, I didn't save any sweatshirts. It gets cold in the south in the winter. We gave the kids what they wanted, and built a shed in my son's back yard. We visit it often, mainly to put more "stuff" in. It's so full we promise we are going to clean it out, and something always gets in the way.
I too, lost my parents, Dad 02, Mom 04 and brother 06. They all lived in the same house. I had to go throught everything from forever. We had auctions, had to keep the estates separate, gave kids and family alot. You don't get what you think you should at an auction, but, you get it gone. I had to settle 2 estates and sell a house and a car.

I took all the old photos, which were just in boxes, separated my brothers kids and sent them to them. Made copies of my grandparents and all the greats ( don't know who some of them are, some from Germany and Canada, sent them to my cousin) I have found people didn't mark their pictures, might have a year, but no names. Anyway, I put them in an album and marked the one's I new. It is huge so it's at my daughters house.

My big dilema, I just couldn't deal with it last November when we went south, I have three urns. I don't know what to do with them. I want to spread my brothers ashes a raceway where he spent alot of time. Mom & Dad just liked being home later on, they were both 90, my brother 64. Mom never wanted to be put in the ground. Any suggestions. I didn't carry them with me. Thanks, Judy

Oh, Don thinks I have too many craft items and clothes. He has his tools. If we buy something, we try to get rid of something. Doesn't always work.
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #28
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We sold our house and will be fulltiming this Jun. We had our first HUGE garage sale this past weekend and did pretty good. Folks buying house wanted some of our furniture (extra, of course). This was sweet as we would not have made as much on it and might have had to move it. I must say sitting in the garage for three days and watching my "STUFF" go out the door was difficult. Several items Cathy and I have had for over 35 years. We know it's just "Stuff", but it's OUR stuff and everything has a memory attached to it. We have several ads running in the local papers and will possibly have another garage sale this weekend, probably our last in this house. Whatever is left goes to Salvation Army. I know we will get through this and those of you on this site that have done the same thing have been a real help to us and we want to thank you all. SO, THANKS Y'ALL!!!!!

Phil & Cathy
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
God Bless you all. Cleaning out a house is such an emotional task.

I have been working on my uncles house for over two years and my God Mother passed last October so I am helping her daughter with her house as well. Every time we have a "weekend cleaning" I always come home and immediately throw away anything I have not used in the last 6 months. My brother couldn't believe it when I told him I threw away my high school year books. My response to him..."I remember the people from that time in my life and if I can't they weren't very important." I have found it to be a freeing experience. It can be sad too. The one thing I can not even imagine getting rid of are the antiques which were one time used by ancestors at our family homestead. I hope by the time I am ready to hit the road full time my nephews will be old enough to appreciate these items so I can pass them down again.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #30
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, yesterday was our "final" garage sale. Bittersweet, to say the least. Some things you think would sell right away are still on the tables when its over, and some things you thought would never sell went the first day, go figure! What's left will go to Salvation Army. We did fairly well in 4 days of selling, but nothing compared to actual dollar paid for "stuff". But all is well this morning. The trip to the bank tomorrow will ease the pain somewhat. We are moving to an apartment for the month of May until we can get the Monty ready for the "Big trip". Current parks are still too wet to place a large trailer in. Have to make a trip to So Cal for son's graduation from college in Mid May, then back here and pick up the Monty and put it in a local park for shakedown. Will make two trips in Alaska to make sure all is well, then visit dealer for repairs and then head for the lower 48 by first of Jun. At least that is the plan right now.

I feel I am finally ready to tackle the road and am ready for enroute repairs. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones without many repairs, but am ready anyway.

Well, that's all for now folks, see you on the road.

Phil P
Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #31
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
had an idea today that seemed to work pretty good. Put a sign out front of stick house that read "FREE STUFF". In about two hours, all I had left was 4 tires, 2 humidfiers, a set of crutches and 3 posters. Tires and humidifiers go to dump, while crutches and 3 posters went in the trash. I am done with the stuff. Hopefully what we kept for the Monty will not be too much. We shall see!!! Anyway "The deed is done".....And Cathy and I are ready to start a new chapter in our lives, Thanks to all for encouragement. Now if I can just learn to pull a 40 foot trailer......
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #32
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
It's a little late for those that have disposed of every thing but for us that are just starting may I suggest that if you get to a point of going to the dump there are some other options. I guess I just hate to see us continue to fill up our land fills with usable "junk". Well it's usable to some one.
1. Some antique (junk) dealers will pay you to haul off all your unwanted items.

2. Some local Churches will pick up for free and save for an annual sale.

3. Yahoo.com has a series of groups called freecycle where you can find a listing in or near your town and post the items to give away for free.

4. Ebay.com, but takes a lot of time

5. Craigslist.com is a little faster that Ebay. Try posting "All remaining household items you pick up for $???", or free.

6. I like the idea of setting it our by the street with a free sign, just don't park the Monty close to the pile.

Good luck to all, it's hard to cut down to what will fit into a Montana. I keep telling myself just pack as if I we are going camping for a few months.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #33
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Well, we are finally going to do it. I've put a couple of the genealogy books plus pictures on the computer and will make a copy on a CD. Gave away all my cloths I couldn't wear, lost weight and don't intend to put it back on. I'm preparing for a village yard sale the 5th of May and another one the 19th. Don't dare put the FOR SALE sign out yet. We have a double wide on a rented lot on a lake in Southwest VA. One mobil home sold in 2 weeks on the water. We are also on the water.

I need to wait until I'm ready. I'm shredding papers we don't need.
Good Will will come last. Then we're gone. It's not easy but it's not hard either, just takes time. We got back from FL April 1st and made the decision to sell. Hopefully most of the furniture can go with the house. There is nothing I want to keep. Wish us luck.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #34
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Salle & Samuel,

You have the hard part done, believe me. After you get on the road, you will find very little that you wished you had with you. Chances are real good that if it is something you think you need, just go buy it, still cheaper than hanging on to it and storing it in hopes that you MIGHT need it someday.

We moved what was left into a 5 x 10 storage unit last September. We are going back to Washington this summer to sell the house and hopefully be able to get that storage unit down to 5 x 5.....then, after lots of scanning, no storage unit at all.

Be brave!...it's a beautiful world out here fulltiming.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #35
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
I have just scanned over 100 + pictures I took over the past 7 years of Lighthouses. Mostly on the East Coast. What a job, yes I know they are all on the internet, but I take a good picture and these are the ones we have visited. I'm going to offer them for sale at the yard sale or give them away. I still haven't done the ones from Nova Socita.

We also found a campground in Salem, VA for $350 a month, W/E/S/C/Wifi. That's within 50 miles of my kids and his. We will spend April there next year if we pull this off.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #36
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Oye, I'm sure tired, and can't WAIT until May 10th. That will be the day AFTER the big move. I took a drive back to the apartment yesterday morning, loaded the truck with more things, then drove back up here today. I brought the stuff in and found a place for everything. I'll make another drive back down on Monday, secure the storage unit on Tuesday, then head back up here again on Wednesday. I'll stay up here until maybe Sunday, then back down one more time to finish it all up. I'll have to drain my waterbed the night before, and pack up the last few things. Hopefully, I've downsized enough for whats left to fit into a 10x10 unit.

It's funny, I used to make this drive every single weekend from April thru October for the camping season. I would get out of work on Friday night or Saturday morning, then head up here to the trailer and stay til the last minute on Sunday. Then I would have to head back home for work on Monday and start the grind all over again. Now, I dread making these last few drives back and forth. I think it must be the scary part of things kicking in. This is a VERY big step for me, but I'm looking forward to the change. Wow...

Jan
Old 04-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #37
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Jan, Are you doing this alone? That would be scary. I say I'd do it without Samuel, but the 5th wheel sort of scares me. Sounds like your going fultime. Good luck and keep safe, maybe we'll meet on the trail someday. I know I'm going to get to the botto of this mess. It's only been a month.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #38
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Yep Salle, it's just me and the "kids"...LOL As I've said before, it's at times like this it would be nice to have "another half" to help out, but it's almost done now. Just 12 more days until I go fulltime...and I can exhale...LOL

Jan
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 AM   #39
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Jan,

Congrats on the upcoming final push. I know our sorting and selling is almost coming to a close as well. We will be having a garage sale next Saturday and then what is left will go to the local Senior Citizen Thrift Store. My last day of work that I am bound to the kennel is on April 30th. After that I can come in and do grooming for clients that I want to do. I am ready for the "Get out there and see the USA."

Now the big thing is doing all of the planning on the trips I want to take. We still have a house so we will have to worry about having someone watch the swimming pool and the fish pond. We have joked about filling the swimming pool in with dirt.....hmmmm that might happen.

Hang in there, you can do it.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #40
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, we are one step closer to fulltiming. We moved from stick home today into a small apartment until the end of May. CG,s up here still to wet and muddyand . Clean up day tomorrow and then turn it over to new owners on Monday. Sure will miss the place. It was supposed to be our final resting place but we got the "wild hair" to travel. We've had 4 garage sales over past two weeks and a final "free sale". Had to give away a king mattress and a computer system, other than that we did real good on the garage sales (emotions aside). Seems like we might have kept too much. We will probably have to have another "purge" when it comes times to load the Monty.

We have to fly to San Diego for sons graduation in mid May, then back on the 21st, sit with Monty all day at dealers lot on the 22nd and, hopefully, drive it away on the 23rd. That will start our fulltiming experience. We are both very excited and anxious to get on with this stage of our life.

Jan, just remember, "It's just stuff". At least, that's what everyone keeps saying. DW had an emotional moment when we left house today. She will get over it real soon. Her last day at work is 11 May, then it will dawn on her.

Enough for now. Hope everyone enjoys Spring.