Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
linda and chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #6952
cashing workers comp checks on road

If you have checks sent in mail and cannot direct deposit , How do u put money into a acount to pay bills , on the road . We could cash the checks and send money orders out , but how do u get checks cashed on the road . We have to keep our house , (a three unit) and the tennants can put money in bank and have the payments taken out automaticly.
The source of our checks require we stay in Our state if we leave the checks stop , but that doesent mean we can vacation 90 persent of the time .
Our problem is banking the checks forwarded to us , cashing mostly we think we could send money orders to pay small bills
does any have any ideas for us

linda and chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
How bout someone mails you the checks, even general delivery in the town where you are.

Sign, make up a deposit slip and stick in a new envelope and mail back to the bank you use.

Takes a couple more days, but works.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I need more info on how much you are moving around. I have been dealing with W/C checks for 1 1/2 years now. I can tell your horror stories about what NOT to do. I am getting ready to settle with W/C now, but I can tell you need to have a really good relationship with your case worker.

I can tell you more, but I need to have you PM me if you are interested in more info...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have a talk with your primary bank in your home city.Many banks will act as a agent to collect Rent, etc. The mailing address for billing would be the bank and the bank will direct deposit the funds into your account. It most likely would be a fee, maybe not, but would be a solution to your problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Pick a corporate giant bank that has branches though out your state. My sons' college roommate switched his checking account to Chase. This solved the problem for him.
Good Luck,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
linda and chas, what state are you in? Do you have any relatives near your mailing address that W/C is using?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, what about Direct Deposit? Won't WC do that for you. My SSDI payments are direct deposit to my local credit union and so is my mil ret, wifes mil ret, wifes VA and her state employment checks. We have just one or two things left that are not online and we will be getting rid of them soon before our "Big adventure".

We plan on using debit card or MC on the road.

Hope you get it figured out. I remember the days before direct deposit and what a hassle that was, especially being military and travelling. Every where we went we had to open an account with a local bank. I don't remember how many accounts we have had over our 38 years of marriage.

Anyway, Good Luck pardner!!!!!

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The problem we have found with large national banks, is that while they are all over the U.S., they are sometimes spread very thin. Chase, for instance was 45 miles from where we living in Bellaire, MI. Down here in Davenport, FL, there is not one within 30 miles. Regional banks seem to be the most numerous in every locale we have been in. You may be fortunate enough to have a national bank near where you were originally banking AND near all of your travels. However, my experience on this has not been good.

W/C will not direct deposit, which makes things very difficult. It also depends on how much you move around. If you stay at one place for a month or more, there are options for you, otherwise, it is a very frustrating situation.

I will PM you.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Dave, what about Direct Deposit? Won't WC do that for you. My SSDI payments are direct deposit to my local credit union and so is my mil ret, wifes mil ret, wifes VA and her state employment checks. We have just one or two things left that are not online and we will be getting rid of them soon before our "Big adventure".

We plan on using debit card or MC on the road.

Hope you get it figured out. I remember the days before direct deposit and what a hassle that was, especially being military and travelling. Every where we went we had to open an account with a local bank. I don't remember how many accounts we have had over our 38 years of marriage.

Anyway, Good Luck pardner!!!!!

Phil
Hi Phil! No... W/C will not direct deposit under any circumstances. I tried everything to get them to do this. No way. On top of that these check MUST be endorsed. I have had some credit unions that would just deposit any check if I put "For Deposit Only". W/C wouldn't let that happen.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Why not have a close friend or relative checking your mail and they make the deposit for you?
Have a rubber stamp made "For Deposit Only" along with your account number.
This way your friend/relative makes the deposit for you and notifies you by phone or email when the check has been deposited.
Using "For Deposit Only" does not require an endorsement.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, That's a crying shame. Your state needs to come into the 21st century. I had to call my legislature to get SS to issue my check. They told me 30 days and I had my chek in the bank in about 3. I know tha'ts federal but maybe your legislature/congressman can help get that changed. They do work wonders soemtimes when one of their constituents asks.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Phil, I'm making a settlement offer to W/C, so this should be over shortly. My SSDI appeal hearing went very well on March 19th. SSDI will start up and my Teachers State Disability Retirement will also start shortly.

Glenn, unfortunately, W/C requires that their checks be endorsed before being deposited. Tried the "For Deposit Only" with my sister depositing and it didn't fly. Had to go to Plan B, which I probably shouldn't discuss on here. You do what you have to do...

My major mistake was thinking that all my problems would be solved by just giving my address change to W/C and opening up a bank account down here in FL.

I discovered that W/C treats address changes as a bother and they don't put a priority on it. 3 week late checks that we were trying to survuive off of were being forwarded all over the eastern US. Then ran into another problem as ALL FL banks AND (much to our surprise) all credit unions have a strict rule that they will not cash, nor release for payment any checks from customers for 5 to 9 days until they have an account for a minimum of 30 days with them (or until 3 checks from that source have successfully cleared - after the mandatory 5-9 days hold).

So, not only did we have to wait forever to get our desperately needed checks, when we did get them, we could cash them (or have them released for payment in our checking accts) for another week.

Should have left everything up in Bellaire. A lot less grief.

This will all be over soon...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #13
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
It sure can be a nightmare dealing with W/C. I went through it for five years, and I'm really glad the nightmare is now over. I would be at the CG up north, but had to come home every week to get my check and deposit it. Once the redemption takes place, you finally get your life back, and some control again. Did I say what a nightmare being on W/C was? I hope y'all come up with a solution, and everything is resolved soon.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Anyone ever go through a settlement negotiation? I am in one now. I have heard that a settlement lump sum should fall between 4 yrs and 6 yrs of your current WC benefits. Anyone with experience on this?