Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
Montana height issues

I own a 2013 3100 rl that had a high profile satellite dish added to it. After the fact, I decided to measure the distance from ground to the peek of the dome. It measures somewhere between 13' 7" to 13' 9". The technician that installed it said that he placed it at the highest point of the rig because it was the most flat there. Even without the dome, the height at the air conditioner is about 13' 4". I know friends that have slightly older models and they are not close to these heights. Has anyone else found there heights problematic and if so, how do you deal with it?

ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Another case of a tech think he knows more than he does. Manufacturers keep wanting to give more so they go up in more than price. Newer RVs are taller. Newer truck beds are taller. And I’m not newer so I’m shorter.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Ya deal with it through awareness and common sense! Just sayin. ��
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
I am dealing with it the best I can. Problem is, many bridges can sneak up on you, and it is not unusual to find them top out at about 13' 6". When I talk to others, they generally are not concerned, especially class A motor homes where heights stay around 12 feet
ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
That's one of the big differences between the Montana and SOB. Keystone states that the height is 13' 5" in their marketing brochure. You don't really want to add anything to make it go higher. The tech was clearly not familiar with Montana's. His/her logic works fine on most other brands. If it were me I would either move it to a lower spot if possible or take it off and go with a ground unit. Otherwise the first bridge or large tree limb will make an adjustment you do not want to see.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
[QUOTE=ontheroad10;1092517 It measures somewhere between 13' 7" to 13' 9". [/QUOTE]

That would make me very nervous. My unit tows level and tops out at 13'2". So; how much do you like that satellite antenna?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Did you measure the height while connected to the tow vehicle? That's the improtant thing. If you did, and it is over 13'6" then you are talled than the national DOT standard. You better be very careful on anything less than an interstate highway. Local municipal and county roads may not always conform to national standards. Pay attention to signage along the roadways, and to smaller fuel stations with overhead covers.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
That's one of the big differences between the Montana and SOB. Keystone states that the height is 13' 5" in their marketing brochure. You don't really want to add anything to make it go higher. The tech was clearly not familiar with Montana's. His/her logic works fine on most other brands. If it were me I would either move it to a lower spot if possible or take it off and go with a ground unit. Otherwise the first bridge or large tree limb will make an adjustment you do not want to see.
X2 We are looking at a Jayco pinnacle and with there higher interior height it forces them to use the coleman mach 8 low profile air conditioners to stay below the 13.6" mark.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do not believe we have seen a overpass marked lower than 13.6 on any interstate all over the country.We do recall a interstate in Colorado that was sort of domed shaped and had warning signs for trucks to use the center two lanes. You may have a problem overall across the country.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
We have a few overpasses on I 90 here in Washinton state that are marked for their lack of highth. I don't remember the actual masurements but one was on Snoqualmie and the other one between Spokane and Ritzville. I have been under both of them but our drivers avoid them when hauling our Groove cranes. I think it is going to be the smaller roads and or streets in the city's that will sneak up and get you. I am not sur but does the Idependant Suppension drop your overall hight?

Tom Marty
Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
If your above 13'6 you're pretty much Illegal in most if not all states, anything over 13'6, you need permits, plus 99.99% of the interstate overpasses are 13'7 and taller for the big rigs, they're trailers are 13'6 in height, buses are 13'6 and lower. IMO, I would take it off or move it to a lower point
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
We have a few overpasses on I 90 here in Washinton state that are marked for their lack of highth. I don't remember the actual masurements but one was on Snoqualmie and the other one between Spokane and Ritzville. I have been under both of them but our drivers avoid them when hauling our Groove cranes. I think it is going to be the smaller roads and or streets in the city's that will sneak up and get you. I am not sur but does the Idependant Suppension drop your overall hight?

Tom Marty
It can. They measure your height at the factory before installation.We were able to lower ours by a few inches.It may not work om every model
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #13
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
First things First. I believe I would hitch up on level ground. Then using 6 foot level measure from the highest point on the antenna to the ground may need some help with this. What ever that measurement is plus an inch or 2 for new paving that has raised the height of the road way slightly and you then should have the magic number. Also invest in one of those RV GPS that tell you the height of the bridges you are coming up on. I think the biggest issues I have seen are secondary roads leading into camp grounds.
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post

Tom Marty
Okay I am checking my route using the 2018 Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.

I looked up Washington State.

They have a Statuary height of 14'
I90 is not listed as being below 14' but US2 both NB and SB just north of I90 is.

I would move the antenna.
Then I would refine my measurement.
Then get a 2018 Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas and a GPS for RVs.

Plan on measuring mine this next week.

Have also learned to take published weights and measures with a grain of salt.

Becoming a firm believer in weights and measures.

Adding height measurement, when hitched, as part of PDI from now on
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
First of all, like someone else mentioned you have to measure your height hooked up to tow vehicle. Tire size of tow vehicle, make of tow vehicle, 4x4 or RW drive all make a huge difference.

How high does your hitch sit in the bed or your truck? Do you have 3" or 6" between the bed rail and bottom of fiver?

I'm not sure how Keystone comes up with any height figure from the factory. It simply can not be accurate because how do they know what type of TV you will have?

I have always measured my RVs the same way. Level ground and ready for travel. Six foot level off the highest point, drop a tape measure down to a helper.

If you do get a final measurement of over 13'6" then you are going to have to be very cautious. An RV GPS set properly plus consulting a Trucker's Atlas should get you by.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
I'm not sure how Keystone comes up with any height figure from the factory. It simply can not be accurate because how do they know what type of TV you will have?
Seems to me they would level the unit and then measure the height. Problem is, not everyone tows level, but that should be the goal.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #17
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Food for thought.....if you run over a 2x4 while under that bridge you just increased your height by an inch and a half or so!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:16 AM   #18
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I would no doubt remove the antenna and install it lower.The montana's are usually 15'5'' from the factory. If you are towing level or lower than level in the front then you are ok. I have the I.S. Suspension and Mor-Ryde raised the trailer 3'' at the axles which only raised the rear so as to be level. The front was still 13'5''. Sooner or later your number will come up and you will be donating your antenna to the hiway and any damage you do to the oncoming car or the one behind you will be your responsibility as you are above the 13'6'' height that is pretty standard just about anywhere in the country. This is a nobrainer.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #19
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
This thread has got me looking into things. There is not a National Height Limit. The federal Government leaves it up the the states. If you look you will find for the most part states have set the maximum height to either 14' or 13'6". Folks use the 13'6", the lesser of the 2, as the maximum because is is simpler to remember. I you live in a state that has a 14' limit you are legal at 13'9. If you only visit states with a 14' maximum you are legal. but in all states there are structures that are less than their maximum stated vehicle height, and we must make sure we do not test their limits.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Seems to me they would level the unit and then measure the height. Problem is, not everyone tows level, but that should be the goal.
That is all well and good if you are talking about a Class A or C. There are just too many variables involving the TV (tow vehicle) for the factory to provide an accurate height on a fiver. Heck, you could change the size of your TV's tires and raise or lower the fiver height an inch in some cases.