Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
ChiefKB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5913
Sanitizing without a Gravity Fill Cap

Hello All,
Just took delivery of a 2014 Montana 3850FL. So far I love it! I am a prior owner of a 2006 3400RL so I am familiar with most Montana systems, but the new coach involves a bit of an additional learning curve. The dealer where I purchased my coach has turned out to be pretty poor and won't even return my e-mailed questions. (Imagine that) The 3850FL does not have a gravity fill water cap. How would I go about getting the chlorine solution into the system and tank to sanitize it? Thanks in advance.

ChiefKB (Retired)

ChiefKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Go to the Search engine at the top of the page and key in sanitizing fresh water tank. You'll come up with at least three threads concerning the same question. I think you'll get some ideas from it. If you are coming to the Fall Rally we will be having a session from a water softener and filtration company and they will also be answering this question and what to do.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
ChiefKB, if you have an external whole house type water filter take the filter element out and add one cup of bleach to the housing then fill remainder with water. Replace the housing on the filter head and attach to city water connection. Fill fresh water holding tank and then run through all the plumbing and let sit for a couple hours. Drain holding tank through the freshwater tank drain. once all the bleach water is out of the system add one cup of white vinegar in the filter housing and repeat the fill procedure. Flush with freshwater after this and you should be good to go. The vinegar will neutralize the bleach and cancel out the smell. Actually once the vinegar is in you can fill the freshwater tank and go. I have done it this way several times and never used my gravity fill for filling. I just use it as a backup overflow. I tend to forget that I am filling the tank and this helps me remember without blowing the bottom out of the freshwater tank...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Another reason to have the gravity fill. Easy to get distracted and overfill.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Are you 100% sure you don't have a gravity fill system. I've got the hose bib connection with all the other connectors (sans power) in the left front pass-through/basement. My water tank is physically in the rear of our trailer, where most of the Montana's fresh water tanks are. And on the left side almost to the back I have a 4" square lockable black door where the gravity water fill is located. I have a 2013 Montana 343RL High Country.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can also get an extra 10' fresh water hose, connect it to the trailer, hold up the other end and pour bleach down it, connect it to another hose already connected to the fresh water hookup, and turn the water on. Not sure how much the 10' section will hold but would not take long to find out. If you needed more bleach, just repeat.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Exnavydiver-- Is that why you are wrinkled so much. You've pickled yourself with the vinegar? Sorry couldn't pass that one up!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
ChiefKB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5913
Ranier,
I verified it with Montana, I do not have a gravity fill. (Even though the tank fill directions pasted inside of the "Water and Convenience Hatch" refers to it. Duh. Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually have a 12volt RV pump that I use for easier filling from a 7 gallon tote, which I filled with the correct chlorine recipe and then used the City Water line in the Fill position. I think it was a dumb move on Montana's part to illuminate the gravity fill cap that you are referring to on your 343RL. I had the same configuration on my 06 3400RL and I miss it already!
ChiefKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a feeling that this will be a main question brought up at this years Fall Rally when we go through the Factory Tour and also when Keystone comes to the Rally for their main time with the attendees on the final day of the Rally!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
It is simple to get sanitizing solution into the fresh tank.

1. Switch the water heater bypass lever in convenience center to bypass the W/H.

2. Put 1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon jug, fill the rest of the jug with water.

3. Connect a short siphon hose to the winterizing connection, put other end into the jug.

4. Switch lever in convenience center from normal to power fill.

5. Go in your rig and turn on the 12v water pump.

6. The water pump will suck the bleach water out of the jug and pump it into the fresh tank. (make sure the connection at the winterizing point is well sealed, otherwise is will not suck the solution out of the jug)

7. When the jug is empty, turn off the 12v pump, disconnect the siphon hose.

8. Switch lever from power fill to normal.

9. Hook up a water hose to the city water connection and use power fill to add more water to the fresh tank.

10. Use the 12v pump to run bleach solution from fresh tank through all of the plumbing fixtures until you can smell bleach at these points.

11. Turn off water pump and let solution remain in system for several hours. If you want to do a thorough sanitize of the F/W tank, take the 5er out for a drive to slosh around in the tank for a while.

12. Drain any remaining bleach solution from the F/W tank and fill with clean potable water and use 12v pump to flush out the plumbing.

13. Done!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote