Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Snowbirds

Okay now! All y'all can come on down to Texas. Woke up to 63 degrees this mornin'. Winter has arrived.

For those not in the know, we have about 2 weeks of winter every year. It's a day here, a day there, a day here, but it all adds up to 2 weeks.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
STOP IT!! I can hardly keep myself contained without being teased...we will be leaving in 13 days.....I am ready right now.....the truck only needs to be attached and the water turned off and we are gone.....everyday is a day closer...so far its nice weather and not cold... we cant leave too soon because of the 183 day travel limits.. so our projected dates have to be adhered to...

Its DW's 39 1/2 birthday AGAIN! she thinks we should go on the road now and sort of meander across the border a few days early......great, now thers two people teasing me...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, here she goes again, sorry, cannot help myself!

Snowbirds go to Arizona and Florida.

Those that go to Texas to escape, are WINTER TEXANS!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! Sorry carol.
I just plumb lost myself for a moment.
Won't happen again.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So it was 43 this AM in Northern Ohio..High maybe in the low 50's today..Frost warnings out for tonite and the S.. word is in the forcast for next week.. we are leaving for Florida Monday morning and that can't come soon enough.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dang Texans.

Carol, you'd think a man from Texas City, TX would know better.

Us SNOWBIRDS down here in FloWreeda are experiencing some mighty cold weather right now. When we arrived 2 weeks ago the daytime highs were in the high 80's even went to 91 one day and very humid.
Well nothing lasts forever. A cold(?) front came through and the day time highs are now in the low to mid 80s but still humid. BBBBRRRRrrrrrr

OK, OK, so it's hot. So we haven't turned the AC off since we got here. So I go thru a roll of paper towels everyday wiping off the sweat. So I sit under the awning with a fan on me. So I jump in the pool just to cool off but that don't always work out as the temp of the pool water is getting close to the air temp. Did you know these stupid palm trees provide very little shade.

At least we ain't using any propane for heat and the ceramic heaters are still stowed away. And the only PINK stuff in this house is PINK lemonade.

All I can say is "EAT YOUR HEART OUT!"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I slipped!

My measure of winter is:
When I crank the hot water faucet in the shower all the way on, and just crack open the cold water.

Mt measure of summer is:
When I crank the cold water faucet in the shower all the way on, and just crack open the hot water.

Right now I'm a little in between. Must be fall! Or Spring! Hard to tell the difference some times.

Sometimes in the summer the hot water does not get turned on at all!!

Texas has been called the two climate place: Hot and Hotter.

Now all y'all remember that Texas is Southern Hospitality. If'n all y'all go down to FloWreeda, ya have to put up with all them Northerners that say Yah! Yeah! Nope! No! and forget all their "Maam," and "Sir,' stuff.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is our last night in the stick house in Northern Ohio. We will complete closing the house Sunday evening then move into the 3400. Monday morning we will pull the slides in,pull the power and be on our way to Sunny Florida. We will have to run 400 miles down I-77S Monday through Ohio and WV before we could find a C.G suitable for the truck and 3400 and near enough off the interstate. It will be made worse because we are taking the Honda this year and the only break we will have is trading off between the rig and the Honda. We are not due into our Florida C.G till Friday afternoon so the rest of the week will be short hops with a day stop over in Savannah, GA.It is getting cold around here so although we will miss many things about our stick house (long showers and endless hot water for one) we will ge glad to be in warm and sunny Florida.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Safe rides Rich, and enjoy, you are making me jealous!

No leaving here till December 26th at the earliest, God willing and the creek don't rise.

We are in Portage Campground near Jackson Michigan, enjoying the brilliant reds and yellows of the maples around here. Thursday AM we head back to the stick built and winterize and gut Tana.

We are however praying for a freeze, tonight would be fine, the skeeters are horrid, big, fat, mean as hornets and thick thick thick. Frosts are just making them a tad lathargic, they move so slow you can get in a good swat/kill.

Enjoy your trip and winter in warmth!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darn! I want to be on the road!!!!

SOB is in the driveway. Just a little more tweaking and we'll be going somewhere. Hopefully to meet up with Jim and Joan (JimF) but I'm getting more and more skeptical about getting there on time. Might just be we can meet them on the road, and for sure we will get together when they get here.

Coleen and Bob are just up the road and we can have a 6 member MOC'ing rally!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Speak for yourself Glenn, I'm getting a little chilly here. You need to live here full time and have your blood thin out to understand....Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

Speak for yourself Glenn, I'm getting a little chilly here. You need to live here full time and have your blood thin out to understand....Joanie
Well than you are really chilly this AM. At 6AM thermometer said 66°. Actually feels GGGGOOOOOOODDDDD!!!! for a change.
BTW--No offense but I hope I never get acclimated to Florida heat and humidity. A few years ago we did come down here in mid July. we roasted and sweat our butts off. The beginning of September we headed back north and didn't return until November.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:19 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a very hard frost last night. The grass is white and there is ICE on the truck windows. We are sort of near the Lake and this is unusual for this time of the year..Perhaps Mother Natures way of saying it is time to get out of Dodge. We are moving at warp speed in closing the stick house and are on schedule.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, this morning it is only 65 degrees at0730 hours. But that's okay because anything below 70 I consider freezing, but I must say that the first couple days of those low temperatures do make one feel good when you step outside.

We well be in the low 80's by afternoon.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are leaving for AZ as soon as we can. Waiting on work on our hitch. Ordered a new 22K hitch and one part was defective so they are replacing it. As soon as that is finished and get the new hitch installed in truck we are on the road to AZ for the winter! Weather is nice there from what I hear.
Anyone going to AZ?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the stick house is shut down for the winter and we are in the driveway in the 3400. We will do a early start in the AM for the long days drive to Max Meadows, Va..400 miles.It is 40 degrees as we speak....Holy Moley.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
"...So little snowbird take me with you when you go

To that land of gentle breezes

where the peaceful waters flow..." (Gene McLellan/Anne Murray)

Enjoy yourselves! with any luck, we may get there yet, albeit somewhat later in the winter than usual.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Ohhhh I am so envious of all you lucky lucky people going south. Its winter here in Michigan for us but what you are all doing and enjoying sure sounds G R E A T!!! Enjoy and travel safe!! Cyndie
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Traveling this great country and removing ourselves from these cold, windy,snowy northern Ohio Winters was Our retirement dream and we are fortunate that we are able to live our dream It will one day come to all who have the same dream.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #20
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Rich/Helen

Safe travel....It's 28 degrees this morning in Western NJ and even colder in the Poconos of PA. Max Meadows VA. is where we overnight too when we leave for Florida - easy in /out. The leaves have really changed quickly and you may be seeing the peak as you go through PA. I'm here in NJ until January 2nd...if you want pictures of frost, snow or ice just let me know!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote