Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
*Edit* - RV allergy - mold, formaldehyde, etc.

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am sure that you have gone to your original banker, where you had your house loan. This would be the first place. Second, the RV dealer should have plenty of financing places. They should have some pull. Third, a home equity loan may be another option. Fourth, if you have a 401k, many have loan provisions.

Given the current financial condition, this type of thing is exactly why the bailout bill was passed, to encourage banks to start loaning money again. You may want to sit down with your lender to find out if they see a quick easing to the credit crunch. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm with Ron on the RV Dealer. They have several finance companies that they can deal with depending on a persons credit, and they know which one to use. Since you will pay it off quickly you will not be hurt to much by a higher interest rate (risk rate - I never did figure that one out. If a person can't pay at the lower interest rate, what makes them think they will be able to pay at the higher interest rate?)

Talk to your RV dealer and see what they have to say.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Welcome to the new way of doing business in the post prim economics mess. Unless you have 30%+ down payment, excellent credit, high income to debt ratio, and basically don't need the money they just may give you a lone. Otherwise for get it. You may just have to sell your home first and then when you have the money get your 5th-wheel. Hope all works out for you. Good luck.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Don't know if it applicable in your situation, but you may be able to secure a reverse-mortgage on your home. In turn that will provide monthly income that should enable you to secure some type of RV financing until the house sells. I am just throwing this out for thoughts, I have no personal knowledge if such an arrangement is possible or not. And....welcome to the forum.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
While PDIing and getting the new (SOB) was told then that this Dealer the week before had 7 different finance companys to deal with and now were down to 3 and most required 25% down and a 750 credit score or above and about 65% were being turned down. Loans are very hard to get at this time. I would sell the stick and brick and rent until I had the money in hand. This way you want have to rush into a bad situation. Good Luck and think positive it will work out. GBY....

P.S. Not sure about Oklahoma but here houses aren't selling, so be prepared for a littl longer in selling.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Don't know if it applicable in your situation, but you may be able to secure a reverse-mortgage on your home. In turn that will provide monthly income that should enable you to secure some type of RV financing until the house sells. I am just throwing this out for thoughts, I have no personal knowledge if such an arrangement is possible or not. And....welcome to the forum.
Bingo
Reverse mortgage kicks in at 62 years and lived there 10 years plus some other rules.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Still would think a home equity line of credit would get the job done. Or, try different dealers. The dealer doesn't do the financing. Their finance deparment works with a variety of banks and lending agencies.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The home equity line of credit sounds like the answer..Should be able to get that done in a few days then pay it off when you sell the house.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I believe you stated you had another RV, that you had trouble living in. Get it aired out good, live in it till the house sells and you can upgrade units.

The smell problem is not unique to SOB's, there are Montanas that have it too, heat cooks that stuff, it must be aired out. There are a number of threads here at the MOC about that. Read the archives as well as current threads. My point is you could get a brand new Montana and have the same problem, note word COULD.

From all you have said, seems you are in a pickle and need to concentrate on more than one front, you need to get some income going, or the frig is gonna get real empty real fast.

Good luck, there but for the grace of God go I.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I hate to sound cold here, and I hope I don't, but no one will lend $$ to anyone that doesn't have a way to pay it back. That is what sent the market to the dumps this go-a-round to start with.
What if the house doesn't sell as fast as you would like it to? Sell the house and there will be a ton of super deals for you to take advantage with that wad of cash in your pocket.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Got to agree with Mike. I have a disabled family member. Lenders were crawling all over themselves to give credit cards and a home loan a few years ago. There was no income besides SS. No way they could have paid these back. House went to foreclosure and bankruptcy filed. Thats part of the reason why we are where we are. Somebody has to pay for these mistakes. Hopefully the house sells but with all the foreclosures out there unless you're giving it away I would be surprised if it sells as quick as you would like. Hope all works out well for you.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The smell isn't the problem with the SOB RV, it didn't even smell bad at all. It has been aired out repeatedly since I got it, in vain. It turns out I am actually bonafide allergic to the thing itself, and not just the furniture in it"

You are allergic to that particular Rv only and no others??? Very unusual..I would contact your local board of health and have them take a look.
They may provide you with a place to stay while they do that. I have never heard of anyone being allergic to a single Rv and no others???
Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blamb,

You can't live in the House, and you can't live in the trailer you have, where are you living now?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If that Rv is "one of the FEMA' Units and is making you sick you have a case against FEMA and the Governmnet. FEMA has already settled with folks who were made sick by FEMA trailers.Sounds like you have a case as being allerigc to a single unit only and no others does not make any sense at all.When did you get that camper..Ask the dealer where it came from..trace the VIN number it will tell you who built it and when. Something is not right here???
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sounds a bit like reactions I had to rotting building materials in our house. In our case it was the roofing stuff, that particle board stuff. It stunk realllllll bad and burned my eyes and my throat real bad too.

This was NOT a formaldehyde thing, and did not smell anything like the "F" I smell in units in the heat that have been closed up for hours/days, etc.

They are TWO different smells, both obnoxious and both will burn tender areas, like eyes, nose, back of throat, etc.

There may or may not be mold involved if it is rotting building materials.

I would start looking for a leak?? And rotten wood. It will not smell as bad when it dries out for a LONG LONG time, but, get it wet again, and whewie. BAD!

Just something else to consider.

I like the idea of tracing the VIN number.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Black rotted wood! Sounds like mold to me. That can be checked with a meter ifyou can find someone with a meter. You could hire someone, but then that just cost money.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Your smell from my experience, is the rotten wood. If it is black it is rotten and you may have mold, some of which is very dangerous.

I am no expert, and I don't want to be held liable for anything that is just my opinion, but I think you need to have someone look at this that knows. And, it is gonna cost ya.

We started with ServiceMaster, the local owner is married to a friend of mine. They led us to the right people to help us.

I might be considering the Better Business Bureau too.

I am not sure, but I would not think a 1996 unit would be a FEMA trailer.

Me thinks you need a lot more help and advice that we can offer you here at the MOC. Time for you to tap into any and all service agencies in your home town.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Just wanted to add an update. All of you that said mold were right. Here's the deal, what I could see before wasn't that much, hardly any at all, which made me think it couldn't have been that making me sick.

But then.

When sweeping it out to get it ready for the trade in for my Monty...

I moved the couch.

And discovered the most disgusting. Foul. Horrible. Rotted out wood floor I have EVER. Seen in my life. The ENTIRE area under the couch was black.

It looked like it was spray painted black. Solid black. After being beat up a few thousand times.

The couch was initially stuck to the floor.

GAG.

I had half a mind to report it to the CDC or something after I traded it in, lol. I didn't want to say anything before, because if they were low enough to flat out lie to my face with "no water damage" I wouldn't have put it past them to try to pin it on me if I pointed it out to them. I'm still wondering if I should say or write something to someone somewhere, about either that particular trailer or the dealership lying to me about the damage. Is it possible they really just didn't know about the water damage? I mean when a dealership takes a trailer in don't they kind of go over it really well?
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
blamb, I think I would contact someone; perhaps local health authorities. The dealer may cover the mold and sell the unit to someone else.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote