Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Any one with an 02, 03, 04 Big Sky ?'s on tires

Does anyone know what size tires the Aluminum Wheels on the Big Sky of the aforementioned years will hold? We are in need of buying new, tread is still good, with the exception of inside tire wear from early on prior to axle change/upgrade to 7000 lbs Axles.

I have called Keystone & their Customer Service yet no one can tell me. We can't find or at least I can't find it stamped anywhere on the rims, inside or out. Even a clue as to where this info would be stamped?

We currently have All Country tires that came on Sky, but still they are 5 years old so they need changing even if they do have good tread left. We'd hate to have a blow out along with the under carriage damage I have read about when this occurs. I would like to change to load range G if possible but don't know that it is possible. They have given us no problems.

Thanx in advance to anyone who can help out with some info!

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Patty,

It should be on the sticker on the left front outside of the coach.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Hi Brad, thanx for replying so quickly. That sticker just has the PSI for the current OEM tires on it. I don't know if the sticker is different on newer models or not. It does not of course even reflect the new axles of 7000 lbs but the ones that were on there when Sky was delivered. I remember being told that regardless of upgrade that sticker cannot be changed. Oops, that's another thread. Sorry!

So if I am understanding what you're saying no where on the Aluminum Rims is the max PSI for tires stamped?

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Guess I'm not understanding what you are asking - are you looking for the tire size or maximum psi the wheels will take?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, the tires on there have the size right on them. Are you wanting to change sizes? Or go to a higher load rating (not really needed, in my opinion)?

The psi rating is stamped somewhere on the rim where you can see it without removing the tire. As it's not a brand new rim you might need to wipe off some dirt or grease back there to find it. Easiest way is to remove the wheel from the B.S. and then look at it.

I just saw it on ours last week but of course I forgot the exact number. It was either 85 or 90. I'd bet yours won't be rated for the 110 psi of the LR G tires if that's what you're thinking.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Oops, Brad, sorry this is so typically me. I am asking max PSI on wheels.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Steve, yes, I am thinking about load range G tires, but sure are curious as to why you don't think they are necessary. As you know I certainly don't know much about all of this stuff & just assumed Bigger is Better. I know Big Sky's now have load range G tires on them & with our 7000 lb axles seemed like it would increase, although not legally the weight thingy? I sure could be wrong on that too, as I am often wrong. We don't want a harder ride so maybe G load would do that too? See that's why MOC is so darn good, you learn so much.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
ahh -

Steves probably right, there should be a stamp on the inner cast. Our 2003 had the 16" wheel option and the wheels were only rated for 65psi, but they were 6 lug wheels. I think all the Big Skys had 8 lug wheels back then and should be 80psi.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Patty,

I you were me and I was you - I would ditch the original Big Sky wheels because of all of the cracking problems they had and compliment your rig with a new set of aluminum wheels rated for 3,750@110psi and put on those USA made 14ply G rated tires. No better way to compliment those 7,000 lb axles. If its good enough for the new Big Sky its good enough for yours, and you'll bypass all this Tredit/Tireco nonsense the rest of us have to put up with.

I bought wheels for my 2003 here - just watch out for offset because of your shock towers.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...78/page/910765
Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Cool Brad, thanx for the link. I'm gonna show Dick but getting him to pull out his wallet is a challenge. However he does not like the way the OEM Aluminum Wheels look with marks & stuff, so maybe he'll buy them. You know you guys & your wheels, paint jobs & all that other stuff.

Patty
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Patty: Keystone sent me 4 new rims when 2 of the originals cracked. I still have 2 of the original rims that didn't crack. I will look at one of them and see what is stamped on it. Get back to you.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
RC and Samantha, We went thru the same problem with the Tredit Aluminum wheels. I had two crack and that was all we come stand. If it hadn't been for the Pressure Pro monitoring system I'm sure we more than likely would have had a major tire failure.

We took care of the problem, I called Southwest wheel in Dallas Texas and ordered a set of Alcoa Aluminum wheel. The capacity was 110 lbs of air and 3750 weight per tire. You can Google Southwest wheel and see what they have to offer. I believe all 5th wheels should have all tires rated at 110 lbs and 3750. Just my opinion but haven't ever had tire problems and I run G614's. Good Luck... GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Patty: The rims are stamped 3042 lbs. 80 PSI
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

Patty: The rims are stamped 3042 lbs. 80 PSI
Thanx Bill! That about sums it up for us. Dick does not want to buy new rims. We have enough stuff to add to go full time as it is, the new tires will be ones that fit those rims we have.

It was so nice of you to get the information for us. We appreciate it very much.

Are you & Ann gonna make the Fall Rally? Look like we're not but I am still scheming tryin to find a way.

Patty