Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Trip Update-Mission Get Montana

Well here we are several days since our last post [lack of communication excuse is that internet access has been difficult to find].
We departed Flint, MI and finally hit the road for the slow and interesting [we hope] trek back to CA via I 40. The first day the Monte pushed our DA all the way to Shepardsville, KY [15 miles south of Louisville]. We found Grandma's RV park and it was so excellent. It's a few hundred yards off exit 116 and even though Kathy and I are newbies at this we judged it a great place. Appropriate dog rules; [we made our lab read all of them], wireless, nearly all very level pull through sites. I would stay here again at a bargain 21.00 [incidentally the host informed us that in a few days she will be solidly booked and the rates will change-can you say Kentucky Derby?].
Next morn we made the short and scenic journey to Nashville. There we hooked up with friends and used their driveway. I probably should leave this next part out, but in the back up process while relying on others[very poor excuse] to watch the hitch position [poor excuse] I was successful in initiating our new D/A bed rails with a nice ouch. We were changing elevations during backing with a near jackknive turn [very limited access-but the Pullrite slider was performing wel] and the bottom of the pin box connected with the PU bed rail and now I have some body work duties on the docket . I think it's minor and so I just won't think about it until we reach home [great lesson I guess?].
Today as soon as I sign off here I will be using our friends welder to put a little reinforcement bead on the Pullrite capture plate [just extra piece of mind on my pin box modification]. After that [hopefully still this morning] we will depart toward Little Rock direction.
We have certainly discovered that this new adventure is made so pleasurable by such a great and convenient RV.
More in a day or two.
take care,
Jim-n-Kathy

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the report, Jim. As for telling us about the little problem, one of the things we try to do here is admit to our screwups, not that yours was (). Those things often help others learn from our mistakes, just as they helped us learn. In fact, we've had a couple of threads dedicated to describing our messups just so others could learn from them. I have to admit I had my fair share to report. And, alas, I'm still adding to them.

Just curious, is your capture plate not holding well? I just recently got the superglide but got the new capture plate that has just a setscrew to hold it in place. The instructions say just tighten it enough so it doesn't fall off when not hitched up. When hitched up it's held in place by the pinweight. If more bead makes you more comfortable, go for it. I just wanted to mention this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Hi, it's Jim-n-Kathy again; First to reply to what kind of capture plate I have on the super slider. I have the older version so I have to first drill and tap the pin box. Then because I always think more is better- I welded it. I pretty much now believe that when civilization has ended and all material earthly items have been vaporized-that capture plate will still be solidly connected to our 06 Monty pin box!
Also, we decided to stay in beautiful Nashville just one more day. Call it love for the south or whatever, but this place is simply great.
So, tomorrow at O-dark thirty we plan to knock off about 400 miles and find then give Mr. Montana a rest somewhere just beyond Little Rock.
Gee this is really getting to be fun.....
Jim and Kathy
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Jim. If I may ask one more question... do you have the adapter that would allow a tow truck or any non-superglide to tow your Montana? It's available from Pullrite but is a bit pricey at something like $140. In my case, I can remove the setscrew and remove the capture plate. On the older style you can remove the bolts to remove the capture plate. I've seen others welded on and they, of course, cannot easily remove the capture plate. The adapter makes it possible to tow the rig with a non-superglide. If you already know all this, please forgive.

Enjoy your trip. You're going into a beautiful area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote