Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Garnzees

M.O.C. #673
Using cell phone to call a dial-up provider

The cost of Verizon's mobile service is rather high and since Wi-Fi may not be available everywhere, is it possible to use your cell phone to call a regular dial-up service like people PC or any other nationwide dial-up service? As long as you only used the service nights and weekends, there would be no cell-phone minute usage. Some of these dial-up services are only $10.00 per month. Can a cell phone be connected to a pc for use with a dial-up service for those occasions when no Wifi is available?

Garnzees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I use Verizon's mobile office and it only costs for the minutes you use. Works great if you have service which only was lacking once in the last few months we have been traveling.
Happy trails.....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
My motorola razr V3 phone doubles as a modem for the Verizon mobile office setup. I just recently got hooked up and have a 15 day trial period to see if I like it or not. It is pricey, 59.99 a month plus 39.99 for the cable and software. But you have internet service anywhere there is a Verizon tower. Plus, in the big cities, it is Broadband, like here in Southern Cal. So far, so good. A little trouble with the software but very good help with Verizon tech support.

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Yes it is possible..I have used several different carriers and have been able to use my phone as my 'backup mode' so to speak. All of them required dialer software to be installed on my laptop and as it is in essence a cellular call it will take from your bucket of minutes.
Check with your provider and know that your connection will be very very very slow.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
If your carrier is Cingular, you will find that the data rate is "Strangled", to a maximum of 9600 Baud (About 20% of Dial-Up speed), they do this to frustrate you into buying a "Data" plan ($50.00 to $60.00 plus taxes per month), if you have Cingular "Media Net Unlimited" enabled on you cell phone ($19.95 plus taxes per month), you can tether your phone to your computer via cable, or bluetooth, and use Cingular as your ISP. According to Cingular's TOS (Terms of Service) this practice is NOT allowed, but they seem to ignore it. The Media Net Unlimited is an add-on service that you do not have to sign a contract for, it can be enabled on a "Month to Month" basis, as I mainly RV only in the summertime months (as I live in the "Great White North"), I enable this service for 6 months of the year, then cancel it for the winter months, unless I head south. The speed is about equivalent to slow Dial-Up most of the time, if you are in an area which has upgraded systems you can achieve close to "Broad Band" speeds.

JP

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to use the Cingular cable purchased online for about $40 with our cell phone. It caused the phone to act as a modem. We did not have the data service, just the standard service. It worked well but was very slow. But we recently dropped our dialup provider. We've not used dialup since November 2004. Wifi is all over the place now. Not everywhere though. Those few times we've not had wifi we either do without for a few days or if there longer we'll go to a library to check our email. We've not done the library thing since 2004, either. Most cingular stores do not know anything about that cable. I think I got it from the Nokia site, if I recall. It was back in 2003 I bought that. I don't even know where our cord is now.

My speed with the phone as modem ranged from 9600 to 19200. 9600 was more common.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Still use my Motorola cell phone as a modem to call earthlink. Slow but gets the job done.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We use the Verizon AirCard at a cost of 60 bucks a month unlimited. When we first got the AirCard it was 80 bucks a month. We recently added a networking device which allows Lorraine and I to share the aircard simultaneously and we still have use of our cell phones while online. Depending on the signal the speed usually is just a tad slower than DSL.

To some 60 bucks a month seems hi but considering the amount of time we both spend on line it's not that bad.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can definitely use your cell phone as a dial-up modem if you have a mobile office kit. If you have a Verizon phone you can get the mobile office kit at any Verizon store. We've been using it for 5 years and have never been shut out--and--we travel east to west and north to south year around. We make about 18,000 miles/year (12,000 towing) and although some people talk about not having coverage, we've never run into that situation. We did have problems with Cingular in 2001 when we were shut out in Richmond, VA and Des Moines, IA.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, that Cingular problem must have been a temporary situation. We were recently in both those cities and had full signal with Cingular. Who knows, could have been anything.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have the $60 unlimited data srvice from Alltel. Alltel has struck an agreement with Verizon and they now share all towers in the US. That's probably why they have priced this service with the identical $59.99/mo.

I wrangled a deal with Alltel to replace my Moto 710 with a new Moto E815 on an insurance claim, knowing full well that the E815 doubled as an EVDO aircard (V710 did not). Because of this I can turn this $60/mo service on and off at will (I did not have to buy any aircard, so I have NO CONTRACT), depending if we are in a WiFi situation of not. Currently not. So we have the service turned on. I had a cable, but had problems with it. I had bought a cheap bluetooth antenna a few months back at Walmart. I was able to get that to work with the dialup software from Alltel. The Alltel office mgr loaded Alltel software on my laptop for free after my third trip into Traverse City with this cable issue and generic software.

Works great! No wires! Running about 109-115 kbps here at this CG. Bluetooth connected to my cell phone. Some areas will be faster, but we really prefer WiFi. We can even turn it off in the middle of a billing cycle and only have to pay for that partial month.

SUGGESTION: If you are think of buying an aircard, pay the FULL RETAIL PRICE. These cards are only running $189-$298 right now. This keeps you away from a contract and allows you to turn the service on and off at will as you travel. I was told I should not have to pay an activation fee when doing this, but I want to double check on this. Still cheaper though.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dave, I'm not sure I understand the Turning off part. Whether the AirCard is pluged into the KR1 Router or the Computer I can connect or disconnect at will. By removing the AirCard from the router or computer I have effectively turned it off. Besides on or off it still costs 59.99 a month.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Orv, that Cingular problem must have been a temporary situation. We were recently in both those cities and had full signal with Cingular. Who knows, could have been anything.
You're right Steve. At the time it happened to us they (Cingular) were just getting started. In Des Moines, Cingular told me they had no access to a tower (2000) and I don't remember what was wrong in Virginia. I just remember that though I had 4 bars of signal there, they said "that's too bad." Needless to say that doesn't make any customer very happy. That was when we switched to Verizon.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn, I can call Alltel and shut off, or turn on, my $59.99 monthly service at will. I don't have to pay the monthly fee every month, if I don't want to - unlike a contract, which will charge you every month for two years, whether you are using that service or not. If I am at a WiFi spot for more than a week, I can keep it off, and not pay for it, then call them and have them turn it back on if I am going to be in a non-WiFi area for a while - like I am now.

Hope that was as clear as mud???

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #15
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
the wife and i use Alltel with the usb cables. we each have our own laptops and cell phones and use them daily. we are out of Arkansas but "longtiming" it in the Washington DC area. as long as we can get a cell signal of at least 3 bars we can use our laptops. here we are getting 230 kbps data rate. at home we were using cable modem but cancelled the service since we were going to be gone so long.

pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:53 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Glenn, I can call Alltel and shut off, or turn on, my $59.99 monthly service at will. I don't have to pay the monthly fee every month, if I don't want to - unlike a contract, which will charge you every month for two years, whether you are using that service or not. If I am at a WiFi spot for more than a week, I can keep it off, and not pay for it, then call them and have them turn it back on if I am going to be in a non-WiFi area for a while - like I am now.

Hope that was as clear as mud???
Believe it or not I fully understand! That could be our next plan of action but not for another year until our contract expires.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am now doing research on internet connection using the cell phone.. we both have cingular with rollover and are very satisfied with the service nationwide so we will stay with cingular.. I can not find any of those little kids that work at the stores that know anything about the subject.. So to those using air cards or PC cards..what are you using and how do you rate the service.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #18
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Can you get a cable to charge your laptop from the cigrette lighter.
I haven't tried to, but would like to, so I can use the laptop while traveling between campgrounds.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Most PC makers have 12V cords available. You have to know your PC model to ensure you get the right one. And the cord is usually specific to that brand/model. A cheaper and more flexible alternative is use an inverter. Electronic stores such as Fry's, Best Buy (bye?), Radio Shack, etc. offer these devices in a number of sizes. For just running a laptop in the TV, get one around 140/150 watts. It plugs into the 12V DC power adapter (cigarette lighter) and produces 110V AC. You simply plug your PC's 110V AC power cord into the receptacle on the inverter. No muss, no fuss. Plus you can use the inverter to charge your cell phone, run a television, or power any other light duty device.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Salle, a far cheaper and more versatile approach is to go to Walmart and buy a $25 or $30 inverter. It plugs into the lighter (or power point in Fords) and provides 120v. You plug the laptop's cord into that. That's how we do it. My inverter is 150 watt and handles the laptop just fine. I've also simultaneously plugged in the charger for my 18v drill battery charger so it will charge while we're on the road. I'd highly recommend this alternative. Then if you change pc's you don't have to buy a new cord.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK