Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Need some tips on knowing when ok to pull out

I have my 5er and it has a 5th Airborne Pin box and I have a Pull rite hitch.
It is very easy to hitch up and un hitch but I would like some tips on unhitching. I never seem to find the point where the pin box weight has lifted off the hitch. I always seem to be short of it. It unhitches easy enough but I think I should be raising it more. I cannot seem to know the exact point where I have finally taken the weight off the hitch. What do you do to get to that point.
Can I take a stick and mark a point on it where the bumper is when unhitched and then when I want to unhitch raise it till that point and that reference spot match knowing then I have raised it enough.

Your tips are sought.

Ohh and nice seeing everyone at the Tucson Rally.

Bob and Carol

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bob

Ya know, this is one of those things that I need to get Al to show me better, however, If I understand your question,

He lifts Tana off the hitch until he can see air between the hitch and the pin.

Believe our Isolator is a predessor to your 5th Airborne, so, that would be pretty much the same stuff, eh??

OKKK, guys, if need be jump in here and correct me.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have one of those teflon wear plates on the fiver's hitch pin ... I just raise the fiver until I just begin to see light between the plate and the fifth wheel saddle on the truck ... pull the lever, power plug, safety hook, and drive out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I have the teflon plate as well. I suppose I could lift until I either see the gap which I have tried to do previously but apparently don't keep lifting it enough. Or could rotate the plate with the tip of a screw driver.
I tried watching the truck but with air bags it doesnt settle that much so it is just a matter of getting the hitch pin high enough. I fear extending it so much it start trying to lift the truck after the pin goes past the slight gap part. The Pull right has a small tollerance to prevent movement. I suppose I am worring to much as with a good dip or railroad bump etc it is possible that one could be lifting the other for a short time in those events as one settles and the other rises. Probably happens more than we think about.

Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I also have the teflon plate and lift until I see the king pin lift off of the slide plate. With everything disconnected, pull out slowly.

Then, I have a magnetic level (two actually) and I set the level to zero on the side of the pin box. Then I level the Hanna.(When I remember and I'm getting better at that) When I'm ready to hook up I return the level to zero and I'm close to the ball park area. The TV will normally expand on the springs and shocks by an inch or so, so I back in till close and do a final adjustment. Place the pin plate just touching the slider plate and back in raising it just a little.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I lift the Montana until I see the truck starting to lift. Then I lower the tail gate, chock the rear wheels, and back up until the tension is off the Pullrite. Then I pull forward slowly until the Montana is off the truck.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
With your type of hitch I don’t know if it would be any different but when we bought ours I was asking that same question. Someone told me at the dealership that they watched for a slight separation of space between the hitch plate and the hitch. This is usually what I watch for.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
I, too, watch for the slight separation between the hitch and the hitch plate. Sometimes I miss it and run the chance of using the landing legs to raise the rear of the truck, which I don't think is good on the motor, gears, etc.

Recently I've just been extending the legs an inch or so after the pads are on the ground, then I release the locking handle on the hitch and slowly pull forward (trailer is already chocked). What I've noticed is as I pull forward the king pin "slides" off the back of the hitch and as that happens the truck bed raises to it's normal position. The 5th wheel does not move at all and it all happens alot smoother than I ever thought it would. That technique came from the guy that moves the 5ers around at the dealership we bought from.

He also used the same technique to hitch up. Basically, letting the weight of the king pin squat the truck as he backs under it. I don't do this because it is alot easier for me to tell when it is "lined up".

Not saying those techniques are right/better/worse. Just passing them on FWIW.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I raise the trailer and watch till I see an 1/8" gap between the hitch and king pin plate. At this point I back the truck up ever so slightly to remove any pressure on the locking bar, then pull the locking bar out and pull away slowly.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have the 5th Airborne and teflon plate too and I raise it to show about 1/2 inch of space and it has worked fine.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Since we have never had anything but the Pullright, might I add this little PS

BEFORE you start raising and stuff, block & Chock and THEN gently back the truck up, creating a bit of pressure.

Then, raise, as described here, till ya see some air,

then, when you go to pull that handle, it will not stick or anything, pops right where it should be.

IF you forget the part where you back up, you could be in a bind and that handle will be a bear to pull, eh, Glenn?? Glenn will correct me if I got any of that wrong!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have the Trailair king pin so the dynamics are very similar to the 5th Airborne (had it on our 2003 unit). With the B&W Companion,I just lift the Monty until the jaws are fully open and drive out.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and Carol, you said you have a Pullrite hitch. If that happens to be the superglide, then timing for pulling the handle is different than for other hitches. Otherwise, we did, with our standard Reese Classic hitch, as other said. Raise it until daylight can just be seen between pinbox and hitch saddle. Then I lower it to just touching, just to make sure the flange on the pin isn't going to catch anything. With that hitch we used the teflon lube plate.

With the superglide, I pull the handle first, then raise it until I just see daylight. If you run out of landing gear before seeing daylight then the hitch is not fully releasing the pin. View from behind to determine that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Another thought is to deflate your airbags before unhitching.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bob, you can lift the 5er almost an inch off the hitch and still not start lifting the truck. I run mine up till I see light and they pull the handle. I don't try to pull out till I see light under the hitch because I have a Bedsaver and if the truck pops up the king pin will land in the tray. Then I would have to lift it still farther and get some touch up paint for the Bedsaver. Next time you unhitch run the thing up till you see light, very east and satisfying... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
I've always used the sure fire method of raising the Trailer until it lifts the rear tires of the truck off the ground... then I lock the front hubs and drive out....... Not really.... like the vast majority... I watch for daylight between the hitch and Teflon ring... then add just a bit more for Just in case....
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote