Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Pull Pin Lock Plates

Do any of you use Pull Pin Lock Plates to lock your hitch to the rails keeping someone from pulling your pins when your not looking, or stealing you hitch? Or, is there some better way to lock these pins?

I'm using a Reese 16k Slider for my 3400RL.

Buddy

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
That is one thing I always did. If you ever see what happens when someone put the pin and you take off. Its a nasty site and very expensive. Just drill out two pin one in front rail and one in the second rail. Takes about 15 minutes and buy tow locks. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Buddy,
I'm also using a Reese 16K hitch. I use a paddel lock on the opening bar, so the jaws can't be opened. However I haven't used any pin locks, where the hitch attaches to the rails. I guess someone could steal the hitch off the rail when not connected but doesn't seem likely.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure that has happened somewhere someplace but in over 20 years of Rv'ing I have no personal knowledge of that ever happening.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I have a 16K Draw-Tite, think that the rails to be the same as a Reese. The pins are 1/2" and I bought a Fulton lock a Walmart that will slip through the hole. It is the same lock that is used to secure a receiver type ball. They also come in a 5/8" and I use this one for my receiver. I also secure the king pin release with a Master lock with an extended shackle.

http://www.marine-products.com/boat_...r_lock_1_2.jsp
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the Reese hitch and do use the lock pin a total of eight. I have two set for four padlocks keyed alike. One guy used aircraft strength safety wire with lock tabs. His thought was kids did not normally carry heavy duty cutting pliers.
I feel for the minimum cost it is a great safety.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had really given some thought to the lock pins, but instead I went up several notches. I put a 'Roll-n-Lock' cover on the bed. When I'm not hitched up everything is out of sight. I had other reasons for the Roll-n-Lock but it solved my pulling the pin dilemma.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I had really given some thought to the lock pins, but instead I went up several notches. I put a 'Roll-n-Lock' cover on the bed. When I'm not hitched up everything is out of sight. I had other reasons for the Roll-n-Lock but it solved my pulling the pin dilemma.
I went with the lock pins. My concern was "kids" pulling the pins when the trailer is hooked up and I am not around (in restaurant, at rest stop or worse case over night someplace). Wayne's rolling cover will not protect the hitch from vandals when towing.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey John, what kind of Lock Pins did you use?

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote