Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
sport91

M.O.C. #22449
shocks

I am thinking about adding shocks to our 3791. Has anyone found that shocks help take out some of the secondary bounce after hitting a hard bump.

sport91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Shocks work best if they are straight up and down. I realize not all shocks can be mounted this way but i have seen some that have such an angle that they look like they are about to break. Shocks do take the bounce out if mounted without much angle. When using the I.S. the shocks are mounted straight so as to give you the most benefit.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We've beat this horse a few times before. Like said, unless you can find a shock short enough and rated high enough ... you will just go thru the motions as a shock mounted at a 45 degree angle or flatter doesn't do a whole lot. It will only compress maybe an inch. A few manufacturers have tried mounting shocks over the years, but the option comes and goes alot due to little to no benefit. There is an outfit called "Joy Ride" that makes a shock mount that allows the shock to be mounted correctly ... another is Roadmaster. You're going to spend $300 - $400 just for the kit, install will be ??? I have no experience with either brand nor know anyone who has "seat of the pants" experience after an install. I'd spend my money on an air ride hitch or air ride pinbox. JMHO.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I put shocks on a 2955 RL that I owned. I didn’t notice any difference in the camper. 12,000 pounds is a lot of weight for a shock to control. Like someone said putting them on a 45 degree angle doesn’t help either. Like dieselguy said get an air ride pin box. Any of them will work. There isn’t much difference in them so get the one that is most convenient for you.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
RK & Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21545
Last September at the National Rally I had the Roadmaster Slipper Springs with Shocks and Disk Breaks installed. Very happy with the disk breaks however, the Slipper Springs and Shocks hasn't done much to smooth out the ride. Should have gone with the IS.
RK & Jen is offline   Reply With Quote