Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 AM   #21
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Did you all know....

That typically the model number of a 5th wheel RV is the distance the unit adds to the length of the tow vehicle.

For example: our 3820 is 41' and some inches per Keystone specs. Don't know what the tape measured length is, never checked. But, when hitched up it is 38' from the rear bumper of the TV to the rear cap of the RV. This holds true for most model designations. So the actual length is always longer than the length portion of the model number.

This of course cannot be precise due to TV axle, and therefore hitch, position variations.

John - 2016 3820FK

bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:47 AM   #22
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
RUN! don't walk away from CW and that salesman. The model number has NOTHING to do with the length. If he tells you it does, then anything else he tells you is suspect. The Montana specs list the length of each model. However the don't include the ladder and pin box extension. This usually adds 12" to 14"

CW has a bad reputation here and if you read a while you will see why. Try to find a dealer who will support you when you need assistance.
I totally agree with this and it is good that you got this information early on in your buying process. Being from Maryville have you not tried Northgate RV in Alcoa? They are owned by the same people as Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA where we have bought 3 new Montanas over the years.Check both locations out at northgaterv.com. These people do not rush you or try to high pressure you into anything and is a privately owned and operated business. When you buy from them they thoroughly and systematically PDI the unit over a 2-3 day span and it is READY for you to do your own PDI before any payment is made.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
I have to agree with Carl and his comments on CW. There are VERY FEW CWs that actually know what they are doing in the way of sales or service. There are a few but VERY FEW! They have a tendency to sell and that is it. I agree with Carl and run from this salesman and find someone and another dealer that knows what he/she is talking about. When I go out and look at new units and a salesperson approaches me the first thing I ask him/her is do you own an rv? If they say "yes", I them ask them what size and kind? I also ask them what they tow it with IF it is a towable unit and not a Class A, B, or C. Most salespersons will tell you anything to make a sale period!
I agree they will tell ya anything. But I don’t care what the salesman knows. I care about the price I pay! So far Camping World has the best pricing on models they carry IF you know how to negotiate. Their service is awful but when I am BUYING a unit I don’t care about that! I am after the best price period! When I am ready for service I will take the unit to a place that has the best service. Been my experience that will be a service only (as in no sales) business!!

Smart thing to do is do your own research and make sure you know more than the salesman. Select the model you want then play MULTIPLE dealers against each other! Never ever go to just one dealer and accept their price because you think they have good service!! Get the best price first then take your unit too the best service center reguardless of where you bought it. If they give you a hard time just tell them they should have gotten right on their price. You have to be hard nosed about these things!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #24
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Gosh, thanks everyone! I assumed the mfg spec was the right one to use. The salesperson was a younger guy, and I honestly got the impression that he really thought the first two digits were the length to use. I didn't catch him in anything else that sounded suspicious at all.

I've been looking at Camping World because we're planning to purchase a unit, hang around locally for a week or two to get the kinks ironed out, and then head out on the road for at least a couple years. I thought that, if the price were the same, then having numerous CW options around the country in case of any difficulty could be a plus.

I really appreciate the information on the lack of trouble getting into campgrounds. I can see possibly wanting to stay in Denali, but we could also stay a mile or two down the road if we can't get into the Federal campgrounds themselves. I will be purchasing a truck that can easily handle anything I can throw at it camper-wise. I'd much prefer to be overpowered than underpowered!!

It's a relief to know that I'm not going to see a lot of difference between a 35 footer and a 40 footer. I do love that 3950BR, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be making life difficult for myself right out of the blocks by opting for 1 40' 5" unit over a 35' 0" unit. You have all eased my mind considerably.

Thank you all again. We are champing at the bit to get through the this tax season and next tax season (my wife is an accountant and tax preparer), and then we're going to be making a major lifestyle change :-)
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #25
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Not to prolong this thread with pros and cons for a 40 footer, however one major issue in backing into a 90 degree spot is the amount of trailer overhang (13 ft) from the rear wheel. I tend to have to re-learn this part each new season because the combination of the GM Truck turning radius and the width of the road turns this into a 30 minute ordeal. I tend to use cones to find the right pivotal point into my driveway area and then spend time trying to shift over.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #26
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusters View Post
Not to prolong this thread with pros and cons for a 40 footer, however one major issue in backing into a 90 degree spot is the amount of trailer overhang (13 ft) from the rear wheel. I tend to have to re-learn this part each new season because the combination of the GM Truck turning radius and the width of the road turns this into a 30 minute ordeal. I tend to use cones to find the right pivotal point into my driveway area and then spend time trying to shift over.
That overhang leaves a lot of tail swing. One in 10 I'll make it on the 1st or 2nd try. If not it can turn into an ordeal. That's when I wish I still had the 35' instead of the 43' 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #27
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricHarmon View Post
Gosh, thanks everyone! I assumed the mfg spec was the right one to use. The salesperson was a younger guy, and I honestly got the impression that he really thought the first two digits were the length to use. I didn't catch him in anything else that sounded suspicious at all.

I've been looking at Camping World because we're planning to purchase a unit, hang around locally for a week or two to get the kinks ironed out, and then head out on the road for at least a couple years. I thought that, if the price were the same, then having numerous CW options around the country in case of any difficulty could be a plus.

I really appreciate the information on the lack of trouble getting into campgrounds. I can see possibly wanting to stay in Denali, but we could also stay a mile or two down the road if we can't get into the Federal campgrounds themselves. I will be purchasing a truck that can easily handle anything I can throw at it camper-wise. I'd much prefer to be overpowered than underpowered!!

It's a relief to know that I'm not going to see a lot of difference between a 35 footer and a 40 footer. I do love that 3950BR, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be making life difficult for myself right out of the blocks by opting for 1 40' 5" unit over a 35' 0" unit. You have all eased my mind considerably.

Thank you all again. We are champing at the bit to get through the this tax season and next tax season (my wife is an accountant and tax preparer), and then we're going to be making a major lifestyle change :-)
Eric,

Recommend you do not rush any decision particularly if you not have much RV experience. If you have friends you could tag along with for a trip that might help. Another option is to rent for a few trips - tough for a 5th wheel but you could do a class c or a to get a better feel for what is important to you. Ask lots of questions of others in the campgrounds - most are very willing to share.

Many of us have gone through several rigs of different sizes. Most start smaller then go bigger and a few go the other way.

Good luck!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #28
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Love to add my 2 cents - contrary to some we had a pretty good experience with CW - But I am not defending them. Our HC 353 came from CW of Columbia and my sister bought in Myrtle Beach with pretty good results. But I will make a suggestion to visit Tom Johnson RV - about 15 miles east of Ashville off I-40. Large RV sales lot with many brands. They have camping and you can stay over a night or two to make sure the unit works (on them). I think they have a location in Charlotte also. Seemed like a decent place. Do not know if they handle new Montana's but if nothing more, you get a good point of reference to deal from. The more you know - the happier will be with your deal!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
length