Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
Chaseurs
Established Member

M.O.C. #21204
Landing gear / leveling rams/feet

I've got a 2021 model 3120 that we just purchased from a private seller. It's got the self leveling system. The front landing gear is 15 inches above the ground when fully retracted. The middle stabilizers are 8 1/4 inches above the ground and the rear stabilizers are only 5 1/2 inches above the ground.
Looks like the rear ones would be subject to snagging on speed bumps, etc when traveling. Is there any reason why I can't raise the middle and rear stabilizers 2 or 3 bolt holes to provide more ground clearance?
Also, when we hooked up to my truck the landing gear stopped at the top, then slowly sagged back down a few inches. We extended them back to the ground and put some weight on them, then retracted them again and they stayed put that time. Is that normal, or is there an issue I need to address?

We ae selling our 2011 3000RK, after making NUMEROUS changes and upgrades, thanks to all the advice from you all. You folks are awesome.

I've got several other questions I'll address one at a time.
thanks
Doug & Kathy

Chaseurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
On raising the jacks...you should not have any problem moving the housing up those 2 or 3 bolt holes...I've done just that on all six of my jacks on my 2013 3402RL...don't know what to offer on the "sagging" problem.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseurs View Post
I've got a 2021 model 3120 that we just purchased from a private seller. It's got the self leveling system. The front landing gear is 15 inches above the ground when fully retracted. The middle stabilizers are 8 1/4 inches above the ground and the rear stabilizers are only 5 1/2 inches above the ground.
Here is a diagram from Lippert showing the expected clearance line for the jacks. I thought the middle and rear jacks are normally installed at about the same height. 3" is a big difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI - Pic of frame and line showing jack height.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	9302
Quote:

Looks like the rear ones would be subject to snagging on speed bumps, etc when traveling. Is there any reason why I can't raise the middle and rear stabilizers 2 or 3 bolt holes to provide more ground clearance?
Some members have raised their middle and rear jacks. Most have not. But it is an easy job. You can do a Search here to find the steps. As I recall, the nuts are serrated so you want to hold them steady while turning the bolt. (but double check as I could have this backwards). A small impact gun makes the task easy.

Plan on carrying blocks to put under the jacks for sites that are not perfectly level. Even level sites may need blocking to avoid excessive extension of the jacks and subsequent shakiness.

Quote:
Also, when we hooked up to my truck the landing gear stopped at the top, then slowly sagged back down a few inches. We extended them back to the ground and put some weight on them, then retracted them again and they stayed put that time. Is that normal, or is there an issue I need to address?

We ae selling our 2011 3000RK, after making NUMEROUS changes and upgrades, thanks to all the advice from you all. You folks are awesome.

I've got several other questions I'll address one at a time.
thanks
Doug & Kathy
Check the fluid level in the reservoir. This behavior sounds like the fluid level is low.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Does the trailer ride level when hitched?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:56 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Like Carl said, check the fluid level. Just don't add any with jacks down. You only want to check and add fluid will all jacks and slides up and in. The level should be within 1/2 inch or so from the top of the reservoir. If you add fluid with the jacks down or slides out, you could end up putting too much in and overflow the reservoir.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #6
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Here is a diagram from Lippert showing the expected clearance line for the jacks. I thought the middle and rear jacks are normally installed at about the same height. 3" is a big difference.

Attachment 9302
Some members have raised their middle and rear jacks. Most have not. But it is an easy job. You can do a Search here to find the steps. As I recall, the nuts are serrated so you want to hold them steady while turning the bolt. (but double check as I could have this backwards). A small impact gun makes the task easy.

Plan on carrying blocks to put under the jacks for sites that are not perfectly level. Even level sites may need blocking to avoid excessive extension of the jacks and subsequent shakiness.

Check the fluid level in the reservoir. This behavior sounds like the fluid level is low.
I raised mine two bolt holes and then purchased the Anderson Jack blocks. Now I have the clearance and I can fit the blocks fine.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you have questions concerning your Lippert/LCI leveling system contact Lippert/LCI Customer Service and explain the problem. They will advise you on your questions and will even run you through a diagnostic test of the system over the phone. They are a great help to all that have questions concerning the Level-up system and the struts.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I agree with Rondo, I had a front jack replaced and when we used it the first time, working the front jacks caused the slides to move in and out. I called Lippert and and was told it could be fixed with an allen wrench, took me longer to find the wrench than to fix it, great service.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had the same question with mine. Here's my post: click here.

Bottom line: I raised the rear jacks as high as they would go and they worked out fine. In order to keep the jacks from stroking out (mine are electric), I now add extra lumber under each jack so the do not have to extend so far. Ever since I did this, I've not drug the rear jacks.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote