Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
That old Thetford toilet curse.

We were just about ready to leave our campground for a long Thanksgiving weekend at our daughter's house 5 hours away and DW says why is the toilet filled to the brim? Played with the peddle for a bit and yup, that Thetford curse.

So, I shut the water off (which I had planned to do anyway) and we went on our way. Leave it till we get back on Sunday.

So, Sunday we're back and I look it over carefully and if I let the peddle snap back it will usually shut off. If we operate using onboard FW we can shut the pump off in between flushes and I'll look for a toilet in the morning.

Monday morning start looking for a Dometic 320. Camping World has one in white about 1/2 hour away, but I'd really prefer bone. DW says just fix it. I call a couple other RV places and bingo, Pete's RV in North Charleston has one in bone and he's only 15 minutes away. I get there and not only is their price the same as both CW and Amazon but it's on sale at 50% off.

So double blessing. We caught the problem before it flooded the fiver and I got it fixed for half price. Both DW and I really like this 320 over the Aqua-flush. Don't know why I waited so long to make the change after all the threads I've read on this forum.

But after shopping around I know why Keystone uses the Thetford instead of the a Dometic, they're 100 bucks cheaper.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:13 AM   #2
DougVelting
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27691
We made the same swap out, my only issue with the Dometic is that water hammer sound when ya release the pedal.
Ive inherited the family insomnia curse and am usually wide awake by 4am, so i upgraded the water pump and added a pressure tank to avoid waking sleeping beauty, kinda defeated the purpose when the toilet sounds like its banging on the bedroom wall
DougVelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVelting View Post
We made the same swap out, my only issue with the Dometic is that water hammer sound when ya release the pedal.
Ive inherited the family insomnia curse and am usually wide awake by 4am, so i upgraded the water pump and added a pressure tank to avoid waking sleeping beauty, kinda defeated the purpose when the toilet sounds like its banging on the bedroom wall
Ha, had the same problem as her resting head is literally right on the other side of that wall. Solution: I just leave it and she flushes it when she gets up. I do manage to sleep in till 4:30.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote