Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Water Supply Line Insulation

Expecting overnight lows in the mid twenties over the next few days and I'm curious as to the best way to insulate/protect the water supply line from the campground tap to the RV. Not sure that the temps will be low enough long enough to actually freeze the hose-line but would rather not risk it. Thanks.

wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Wayne and Karen,

In those conditions I would put some water in my fresh water tank and use it. If the line freezes at night it will thaw during the day and you will still have water. For colder temps get a heated hose.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm squarely in the heated hose camp, but until you can get one
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If it is only going to be for a few nights I'd just let a faucet drip. Either drain the associated gray water tank or better yet if on full hook ups just leave the dump valve open.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
camping follies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
If it is only going to be for a few nights I'd just let a faucet drip. Either drain the associated gray water tank or better yet if on full hook ups just leave the dump valve open.
Just fill the water tank up and use the pump, disconnect the hose and put it in the basement it wont freeze and don`t need a 200.00 heated hose that`s impossible to coil or uncoil when it`s cold, and might freeze up anyway. Why risk it. If the tank drains empty (every 2 1/2 days for us) fill the water tank up again. I can hear that water dripping while trying to go to sleep.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
If temp gets down to 20 you will definitely freeze up. Either buy a heated hose or fill fresh water tank disconnect your hose use your pump .

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Thanks to all that replied. Come on Spring!!
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Wrap yout hose with electrical heat tracing then install foam insulation around it secured with weather resistant gorilla tape. That is what I did for many years camping in Lake Tahoe during the winter.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
A risk I didn't see addressed is that if the temp gets below freezing, the water under pressure in the hose may not freeze until a faucet is the rig is opened. Once the pressure is relieved, the water in that hose will freeze and you will not have any water other than what is in your fresh tank. My solution - if a freeze is expected, fill the fresh tank, disconnect the hose and stow it in the basement. If you are only stopping for 1 or 2 nights, you may not want to fill the fresh tank so as to avoid hauling that weight around when you do hit the road. The good news is, at least in my rig, is that the fluid gauge for the fresh tank seems to be accurate so you can match how much you put in there to our needs.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #10
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
When we have been in cold weather overnight we put water in the fresh water tank. Recommend disconnecting the hose and drain it. A heated hose is okay, but if the RV park doesn't have a frost free tap you could have some problems.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:53 AM   #11
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Equally important, if not more so, is the potential for the sewer line to freeze up in an ice ball - particularly if the sewer line is NOT routed straight into the sewer. If it is configured to make a “p-trap” before connecting to sewer, you will experience a backup of water from the sewer line into the shower basin. Usually this results in a cracked sewer line so off to Wal Mart you will be.
MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:09 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Then you run the risk of having your sewer lines freeze up into a solid block, the holding tank fill up, and water overflow on the floor of your camper. No, not in a camper. This is never a good idea.

We've winter camped. But our entire mind-set on the water hose hook up is not necessarily conforming.

First, I never leave the the garden hose under pressure.... ever. I fill my fresh water tank and pump the water from there. Once filled, the campground shore water gets turned off, and the hose get's disconnected from the trailer. I'll even go ahead and drain the hose and put it away, or out of the way, until my tanks get empty again. Then fill the fresh water tank again.

Last January and February we were at Cullman, Alabama and the temps dropped pretty low for a couple weeks. I'd been leaving the hose connected to the trailer but shut off at the camp ground spigot, and not draining the hose. Everything was OK, until one morning we needed water in the tanks, and the hose was frozen from laying on the ground over night and temps dropped. I broke my own rule and got lazy. I paid the price too.

Once the sun hit the hose, it thawed out. Once I got water running again, the hose was cracked at the faucet. I was able to fill the tank with water spraying everywhere at the campground faucet, and ended up getting out another hose. (I carry 200 feet of hose with us all the time). I threw the old one in the trash and said, "Never again will I be lazy". Hose is always disconnected and drained after every use. And never stays connected to the trailer.

Beside, doing this, I never, ever, ever, ever have to worry about campground water pressure, and I absolutely do not need to tag along a water pressure regulator.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
... The good news is, at least in my rig, is that the fluid gauge for the fresh tank seems to be accurate so you can match how much you put in there to our needs.
My fresh water sensor works very well too, but at incriments at full - 3/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 - and empty, there a pretty big gap knowing really, how much water I'm adding.

In order to control and know exactly how much water is going in, especially if I do not want to fill the tank completely, I picked up (Amazon) one of these water meters and just leave it connected at my fresh water inlet on the camper all the time. One button resets to zero gallons for every fill up. The second button is accumulative. If you want to track how much water runs through the house over several fill ups. Then the second button will reset when you are ready.

I use one setting for each fill up. The other for each total usage for an entire trip, or between campgrounds, if we are on the road. It's interesting to see exactly how much water you are actually using .... even if you from yur fresh water tank. It does make you keenly aware of your water usage:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Then you run the risk of having your sewer lines freeze up into a solid block, the holding tank fill up, and water overflow on the floor of your camper. No, not in a camper. This is never a good idea.
On a temporary basis it is a good idea and has worked for me and many others for a long time. The OP said in the mid 20's for a few nights. The mid 20's isn't going to freeze a 3 inch sewer line to a block of ice when the only input is one dripping faucet.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We've never had an issue with the sewer freezing up. We leave the grey tanks open so the volume of water is not enough to fill up the pipe and freeze it. Make sure you don't have low spots in the sewer hose connection where water can pool and freeze.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
As long as you DO NOT make a “p trap” in your sewer hose, you will not have enough water in it to split your hose. Any water in it will have plenty of room to expand if it freezes, and not crack your sewer hose. As long as it gets above freezing during the day you should be good to go. If you will be below freezing during the day and night, thats a different story and should drain all your hoses an put them in the basement. Use your on board tanks and use your tank heaters if you have them. Also use your furnace to keep your underbelly heated so your plumbing doesn’t have any freeze issues.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote