Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Furrion Observation Camera for Rear

I would like to add an "observation camera" to the rear of my 2021 331RL. Has anyone done this and if so where did you find the camera? I can find backup cameras but I don't need/want one of those. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Chief Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I added my Furrion Observation camera after we purchased the Montana. It did not come factory installed. It was actually pretty easy and has worked faithfully now for 3 years. It has its good points and its weaknesses. But if using it as only the observation camera (no side cameras), it's actually pretty straight forward. I don't think the side cameras are worth it, especially since they do not stay on screen but for a about 45 seconds and then shut off.

Does the observation camera help? Yes. Was it a waste of money? No. Once I actually started using is subconsciously, I realized I came to depend upon it. If it broke down and I needed to replace it, would I? Yes.

I got mine from my local dealership. My wife and son went together a couple years ago and got me the side cameras for Christmas. I had them installed the day after Christmas that year. Would I replace them if they died? No.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The furion camera and small monitor that came with my unit leaves me wanting a better camera and monitor. My monitor looks a whole lot like the world appears when I don’t wear my glasses…far from high def!! On the plus side, on our recent trip the camera worked much better than it has in the past - meaning the wireless signal was good for 95% of the time…not sure why it worked better this time…missing the heat of summer maybe? Regardless of the good signal quality - the fuzzy view in the monitor leaves much to be desired.

I don’t have the side cameras. What is the next step up for a better camera and monitor to get a better/clearer rear view? And I would love it more if it was a “plug and play” upgrade and worked with the connections for my existing camera.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #4
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
The furion camera and small monitor that came with my unit leaves me wanting a better camera and monitor. My monitor looks a whole lot like the world appears when I don’t wear my glasses…far from high def!! On our recent trip the camera worked much better than it has in the past - meaning the wireless signal was good for 95% of the time…not sure why it worked better this time…missing the heat of summer maybe? Regardless of the good signal quality - the fuzzy view in the monitor leaves much to be desired.

I don’t have the side cameras. What is the next step up for a better camera and monitor to get a better/clearer rear view? And I would love it more if it was a “plug and play” upgrade and worked with the connections for my existing camera.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the response. Good to hear from you in Austin. We have a son and his family who live in Austin. Love visiting there and going to the Salt Lick.
Chief Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have the observation camera for towing doubles, now I use it all the time, screen is small but does the job. As said I bought it for towing doubles, but now use it all the time when traveling. I have habit of using it when passing in heavy traffic, make it a lot easier to see front of car I’m passing.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote