Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #21
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
I bought a long bed F 350 SRW and never looked back. Peace of mind and I still drive the truck for errands and it does a great job.

Anatnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #22
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
I am surprised you can pull the 3121RL with a F350 SRW, I have a F350 Platinum Diesel with 4wd and my payload capacity is 3,282 lbs. I am upgrading to a DRW because the Payload is not high enough on my F350. Of course I agree if you get an XL with gasoline engine and your payload will drastically increase. A side from that I do like a short Bed also, I wish they made them in a dually cause that is what I would get. Before I realized the SRW did not have a high enough payload I was planning to get a sidewinder pin box to prevent any issues with tight turn backing. Having said that I am still thinking about a sidewinder even though I will have a long bed for two reasons, the pin box does not turn in the bed which means you can store things in the bed of the truck and if you have tonneau cover rails you will not hit the rails, the second reason is the 5th wheel tracks the tow vehicle better because the turning point is moved back 22”. They make a 20k version of the sidewinder which would be overkill for the 3121RL. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
CajunRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #23
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Are there any HD (25/35/4500) trucks that have a 5' bed?

I can't even imagine how a 1/2 ton truck could pull a Montana, even the smallest one.

QUOTE=StageCoachDriver;1234605]...

Also, be aware of "tail swing", when you are driving forward and turn right, the trailer tail also swings right.
This is an EXCELLENT point. I just about biffed the rear of our trailer last trip out turning it our pull thru site. I was worried about the front of the truck, and totally forgot about the rear of trailer!! Just about hit a parked car, that was on edge of the road, probably even in the road slightly...[/QUOTE]
I disagree about tail swing to the right on a right turn. The only way for a right tail swing is to move the hitch to the left. The fulcrum point is the wheels and the front/back always move in opposite directions.
There IS a big swing the opposite way of the turn tho. i.e. left swing on a right turn.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #24
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRambler View Post
I am surprised you can pull the 3121RL with a F350 SRW, I have a F350 Platinum Diesel with 4wd and my payload capacity is 3,282 lbs. I am upgrading to a DRW because the Payload is not high enough on my F350. Of course I agree if you get an XL with gasoline engine and your payload will drastically increase. A side from that I do like a short Bed also, I wish they made them in a dually cause that is what I would get. Before I realized the SRW did not have a high enough payload I was planning to get a sidewinder pin box to prevent any issues with tight turn backing. Having said that I am still thinking about a sidewinder even though I will have a long bed for two reasons, the pin box does not turn in the bed which means you can store things in the bed of the truck and if you have tonneau cover rails you will not hit the rails, the second reason is the 5th wheel tracks the tow vehicle better because the turning point is moved back 22”. They make a 20k version of the sidewinder which would be overkill for the 3121RL. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
I think if you look at the gross weights on models other than the Ford Platinum you will find the Platinum is the least capable to tow or carry cargo. It was wimped out at the factory for a softer ride as per my local Ford dealer. Also a couple of friends decided on the platinum (probably because it cost the most) and couldn’t even tow the trailers they already had!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #25
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
As far as towing your new 3121 with a short bed and no slider: fugetaboudit!
We have a short bed f-250 and I have hit the cab with two different Monties. No slider. In about ten days we will be home from this 12k mile trip and over 50 different parks, private, state and federal. Some spots I could not get into without damage without a slider hitch. I have two small dings on the cap of the Monty from backing up, turning and hitting a hidden hole. Two small dents in the cab of the truck as well. Will be getting a slider before our next trip.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #26
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I think if you look at the gross weights on models other than the Ford Platinum you will find the Platinum is the least capable to tow or carry cargo. It was wimped out at the factory for a softer ride as per my local Ford dealer. Also a couple of friends decided on the platinum (probably because it cost the most) and couldn’t even tow the trailers they already had!
No doubt the options have a big effect on payload, I thought I covered that. Me and the wife do like more options that make it comfortable to ride as we spend a lot of time in the tow vehicle therefore to increase the payload with a Diesel platinum with 4wd fox capabilities we went to a DRW which increases the payload to 5,400 lbs. plenty for our 3121RL.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #27
CajunRambler
Established Member

M.O.C. #29737
Quote:
As far as towing your new 3121 with a short bed and no slider: fugetaboudit!
We have a short bed f-250 and I have hit the cab with two different Monties. No slider. In about ten days we will be home from this 12k mile trip and over 50 different parks, private, state and federal. Some spots I could not get into without damage without a slider hitch. I have two small dings on the cap of the Monty from backing up, turning and hitting a hidden hole. Two small dents in the cab of the truck as well. Will be getting a slider before our next trip.
Yeah I agree if you have a short bed and don’t get a slider or rotating pin box you are asking for trouble. It is not if but when it will happen, and it never happens at the best possible moment.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #28
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I would buy the slider myself, what is your payload on this truck?
Old 09-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #29
Nightop
Established Member

M.O.C. #25927
I went with an autoslider on my f350sb. I think most short bed rounded corner 5th wheels can get to the 90 degree turn under the right conditions. I rarely encounter perfect conditions, you get the truck and the 5th Wheel going at different off level angles while backing into that perfect spot and you will be glade for those extra few inches of clearance the slider affords you. I love my Demco autoslider.
Nightop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #30
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
With a B&W hitch set the head to the rear position in a short bed and good to go.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #31
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
LOL. I don't disagree one bit! And, that's why I want either an automatic hitch, or clearance without thinking. If I have to pay attention and stop before crashing, or if I have to get out of the truck and engage "safe" mode on the hitch, then it's a matter of time before something "bad" happens, when you forget or don't realize that you are almost there...

That is the reason I went with the Andersen on my long bed. I watched a guy pull out from under his hitch and drop the trailer in the bed, forgot to put the jacks down, I don't want to think/remember to do a bunch of stuff if I can avoid it.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #32
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Short bed and Slider hitch or Long bed and fixed.

I have a short bed Ram 2500. The advise I got was to go with the slider hitch. The many time that I have had it out I can see why. I would not trust a sharp turn pulling a fifth wheel. Never know when that freaky even jumps out and gets you. The extra bucks for the hitch is cheaper than all the body work on you truck and RV at the most inopportune times.

Enjoy you 5th wheel. They are really great for longer term trips.
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #33
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
When I had a short bed I very seldom had to slide the hitch, just had to watch. There were a few times I needed it and would have had issues if I could not slide the hitch for more room. Well worth it for the times it is needed.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #34
HalH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26651
The Reese Sidewinder will also do the job.

We've used the Reese Sidewinder pinbox pivoting hitch on our 2016 3711FL siince we bought it new. I try to stay out of severe angle approaches and backing but I have gotten in a couple of tough spots where the extra clearance saved my a%*. Looking at the clearance when literally spinning the rig on its axles, I would not have wanted to try it without the point of rotation on the pinbox. Truck is a short bed SRW Chevy HD 3500.
HalH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #35
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
Short bed slider

I have a Ford SRW truck with a 6 3/4' short bed. I also have a Reese manual slider installed. I use mine frequently and do not mind hopping out and sliding the hitch. The auto sliders are a little heavy for me. If you don't mind doing the extra work a manual slider is great. But in a short bed truck I highly recommend a slider. I would not have been able to visit some of my locations with out it.
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #36
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Quote:
When you get the King Ranch, the Platinum or the Limited, your payload drops with each step up. The Limited is the least capable until you get into dually or F450 territory. Plus you just can't even option in things like the camper package and upgraded springs on those models. If you want or need bells and whistles, the Lariat is the top model for that.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:49 PM   #37
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeologyTek View Post
...The auto sliders are a little heavy for me. If you don't mind doing the extra work a manual slider is great. But in a short bed truck I highly recommend a slider. I would not have been able to visit some of my locations with out it.
We had a PullRite SuperGlide in our last truck, and I LOVED it. You are correct though, they are heavy, and that is a major drawback. I finally built a "boom" for the bucket on my small tractor to extract it. That worked really well, but it was still "extra" work to put the hitch in and all the time...
Old 09-26-2021, 10:53 PM   #38
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I disagree about tail swing to the right on a right turn. The only way for a right tail swing is to move the hitch to the left. The fulcrum point is the wheels and the front/back always move in opposite directions.
There IS a big swing the opposite way of the turn tho. i.e. left swing on a right turn.
In the case that I was speaking of, we were turning right, and it was left tail swing that I just about hit the parked car. The post I referenced, did indicate right swing on a right turn, and I agree, that wouldn't happen...
Old 09-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #39
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
My dealership took the position that no combination was guaranteed to work until they saw it with their own eyes. Regardless, I started out with a fixed FW and was fine till that one time I entered a gas station on an angle that resulted in the front of the fiver kissing the truck's back pillar. I got off easy with just some rubbed paint, and ordered an auto slider the next day. I've also had to get to 90° a couple of times, so never say never.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #40
fuquatj
Established Member

M.O.C. #19619
I currently have a 2020 F350 SRW short bed with a Curt Q20 Slider Hitch. I pull a Montana 3781RL. Recently in pouring rain I decided to make a tight U-turn where I store my camper without sliding the hitch back.....bad decision. Yes your Montana will burst the back window of your F350 if you make a tight turn without the slider hitch....or with the slider hitch if you choose not to use it.
fuquatj is offline   Reply With Quote