Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
LouB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27978
not a happy camper

Can’t express how disappointed in my Montana 3781RL we have had 15 issues with it right out of the box all except 1 being Quality control with 6 being fixed 2 by me, 1 I just noticed yesterday when we got it home, Hydraulic pump, battery box, stove igniter and front holding tanks “apparently levers not hooked to valves” , the service dept. just had it for 2 weeks and managed to fix 3 of them hydraulic pump was replaced the before we ever got to use it, 2 I fixed, $90k+ for “top of the line Trailer” with another $5K in accessories “1st 2 pictures are how it was left after washer/dryer install” were stuck with it unless were willing to take a $35k/$45k hit on it, We like the trailer just not happy with Quality control/service and a couple of the issues are concerning for the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_181950.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	9258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_182119.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	9259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_182104.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	9260   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210404_120426.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	9261  

LouB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Understand your frustration. How many items were found during the PDI Walk Thru with the dealer? Were the washer and dryer dealer installed?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #3
LouB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27978
only found a couple at walk through but most of the systems weren't put online most found when we got it home and had a good chance to it over or during actual use on first outing, Note that most of them are just annoying/minor issues only a couple of real concern, washer/dryer dealer installed.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #4
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I agree with you Lou. After reading all the hype on the quality of the Montana I had sold my Foretavel Motor Coach & popped for a 2019 3121RL. Thought I would give the fifth wheel side a try to cut down on the larger diesel pusher maintenance costs. I truly understood I was stepping down from Foretravel coach quality to a lesser product but I never thought it would be as frail and cheaply assembled as it is. Most issues trim falling off, stripped screws not even making contact with a base to secure. Cabinet catch latches that bend if pushed on too hard, peeling veneer wood covering that is on bathroom door, steps etc. My water pump was mounted directly to a wood floor with zero rubber dampening and only 2 screws instead of 4 holding it down. TV antenna/cable connections for rear tv issues with not working to loose connections inside basement. Wood decor paneling between refrigerator and cabinets just fell off the wall and had to pull fridge out to appropriately secure. Cheap staples. All this before even putting many miles on. I have an extended warranty but as you know dealership wait times are very long as is lack of quality workmanship at some areas. I am fulltime living in my unit so yes, it will take more abuse but for the money it is frustrating to see the simple short cuts taken on the build.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
LouB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27978
Pretty much same issues and as with you I put out the extra bucks expecting a much better built coach, I think their quality control person works from home and service is slow on warentied work "approval needed".
Old 05-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I feel your pain, we have only many brands of 5th wheels and one Motor Home, we actually never use the 2020 Motor Home. We traded it for a 5th wheel, 2021 3762 BP. We have never owned a 5th that didn't have quality control issues. This is a issue from the build time. I can assure you will have issues because of material and quality control, is the issues. When you take them in for repairs, they never seem to get it done, right. Always a waiting period, because there are so many issues. The excitement of getting a beautiful 5th wheel is difficult to control. Well, we have owned a dozen of different type 5th wheels, and 4 tag alone, bumper hitch. Issues and problems will happen, no matter the brand. We are waiting to go and get our new Montana, we have owned 4 RV's from Keystone. They are no better nor worse that any other brand. The problem is there is NO, I repeat NO quality control from the factory's, many times it will be the material used. Don't forget however, imagine towing your stick house down the road at 70+ miles per hour. Good Luck.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We have been comparing our experience back in 2014 when we bought our new Montana to now with this new SOB fiver.

So far a couple of the issues have been about the same, but when the microwave fried itself 2 weeks ago this SOB jumped ahead of the Montana for having more serious issues.

So far I have avoided trying to get an appointment at a dealer somewhere. I have been able to fix everything myself. My manufacturer said they would ship a new microwave direct from the vendor but we haven't seen it yet. They refused to take one out of their build stock and send to us.

I hesitated buying new and I should have know better.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
IMHO - most dealers have service departments/ management that lacks much in quality of it own ... our 2020 MHC 373RD has had few minor issues and no major issues.

The whole industry suffers from price pressures. I picked my last dealer because they service my first unit that wasn't purchased there.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had 6 RVs over the years two of them Montana's they all had issues out of the factory we had a great dealer and did a good PDI.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
It's all in the dealer, the dealer, and the dealer. Bought 3 from my dealer and he wouldn't schedule your PDI until after you signed a purchase agreement and he hooked the unit up to everything and had his crew go through it and test everything for 3 days. My last one even had a full bin of ice in the reefer. When you got one there everything was right.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote