Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Guitarpicr
Established Member

M.O.C. #28483
Overnight camping question

Hello to all- We are getting ready to go on a trip to Gulf Shores, which will be our first trip with the new to us 2015- 3610RL legacy edition. We have tried pretty much everything and I tried the auto level function and it all worked great. I was curious if when overnighting can we stay hooked to truck and manually put jacks down for stability ? Thanks for any and all responses as this is all new to me. Bill

Old 04-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bill,

No issue staying hooked up but sometimes its handy to fuel your pickup without the trailer. Easy to manually lower the jacks for stability and some level. Autolevel hooked up is not a good idea.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I would be ok with stabilizing but not so much for leveling using manual mode of course.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
Guitarpicr
Established Member

M.O.C. #28483
Thankyou both for the quick responses - So I go to manual & just do the left or right ?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bill,

Put the front jacks down first and then the rear. If you want the rig to not move as you walk inside you want some weight on the jacks vice just touching the ground. For a quick stop overnight a little movement may not bother you and you may be happy with just the front jacks.

Slides can be another question. If you are going to put the slides out you want a fairly level spot. Your reefer also wants to be fairly level. You may just want to run the bedroom slide out.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have only left the rig hooked up overnight once. Mine rides a bit nose high, so in order to level and open the slides, the back tires were off the ground on one side because the site was not very level.
I usually just unhook so I can refuel the truck without the rig anyway.
If you do stay hooked up, DON"T do the auto-level. The nose of the rig drops very low and then the sequence to level begins. That could be very bad if your truck were in the way. You can manually put the front legs down just enough to lift the weight off the truck a bit. The put rear legs down to to get level front to back. Adjust left or right to level side to side. All this can be done through manual control as the panel shows you how close to level you are as you adjust.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:13 AM   #7
Guitarpicr
Established Member

M.O.C. #28483
Thumbs up

Thanks to all for the good tips - I will try the manual mode the first night of our trip. I need to get the manual out & give it a read but been so busy getting everything cleaned up just havnt found the time, Had the ods slide (fridge,stove side) out of wack and I finally got it adjusted properly. That was a learning experience, the dealer we bought the rv from couldnt get it fixed after a week of trying. They put a new roller gear on master side (teeth were broken)& a new connecting bar between the 2 racks( was bent) ,delivered it back to us but was still 2" off from front to rear.They told me this was normal. Righttt - I wound up dropping the gear on the slave end(front) & bumping the drive end (rear) till they measured the same or within 1/4". Jacked up the slave end a little while doing this. Reconnected the roller gear & with a few minor adjustments it now works great. Sorry for the long post but I thought this might help someone in the future. Dealer told me we could just push slide out manually from the inside & that was a huge negative! That is a heavy slide as you all know. Anyway- Safe travels to all & Happy camping !!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I guess I'm from the "over cautious" camp when it comes to staying hooked up for a quick overnight stop.

I have stopped to sleep without unhooking but I have never put jacks down nor have I ever put slides out without being unhooked. I have always felt that it would be too easy to flex the frame rails and cause problems with my slides. I see others stay hooked up but I also read a lot of posts about folks having problems with their slides. I have never had a slide issue with the 3 fivers we have owned or the 2 Class A's.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
With my Aux Fuel Tank I only need fuel every other day, so we stay connected lots.
Manual leveling is very easy, scroll to Manual, press enter, lower front jacks to just take a little weight off the TV, the lites on the display well let you know which side to do next, bring that side jack down, then the other side and you should be done.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We normally travel @ 300 miles a day we are in no hurry to be anywhere. We fuel at truck stops so that is not a problem. We normally stay hooked up for overnight stops we do lower the front jacks a bit to stabilize. We do put the slides out. We have not ever had a problem/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarpicr View Post
Thanks to all for the good tips - I will try the manual mode the first night of our trip. I need to get the manual out & give it a read but been so busy getting everything cleaned up just havnt found the time, Had the ods slide (fridge,stove side) out of wack and I finally got it adjusted properly. That was a learning experience, the dealer we bought the rv from couldnt get it fixed after a week of trying. They put a new roller gear on master side (teeth were broken)& a new connecting bar between the 2 racks( was bent) ,delivered it back to us but was still 2" off from front to rear.They told me this was normal. Righttt - I wound up dropping the gear on the slave end(front) & bumping the drive end (rear) till they measured the same or within 1/4". Jacked up the slave end a little while doing this. Reconnected the roller gear & with a few minor adjustments it now works great. Sorry for the long post but I thought this might help someone in the future. Dealer told me we could just push slide out manually from the inside & that was a huge negative! That is a heavy slide as you all know. Anyway- Safe travels to all & Happy camping !!

Good info on the fix, thx. That dealer is clearly a place to stay away from. My dealer recommended an equally ridiculous fix once. Once.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #12
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Unfortunately this quality of dealer has become too frequent. Glad you are able to do some work necessary on your rig. You will be a happier camper with less aggravation and more $$$ in your pocket during your travels!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #13
Marc Daigle
Established Member

M.O.C. #17214
3610 rl

Quote:
Hello to all- We are getting ready to go on a trip to Gulf Shores, which will be our first trip with the new to us 2015- 3610RL legacy edition. We have tried pretty much everything and I tried the auto level function and it all worked great. I was curious if when overnighting can we stay hooked to truck and manually put jacks down for stability ? Thanks for any and all responses as this is all new to me. Bill
We have the same unit. We have stopped in rest areas hooked up to the truck slides in to sleep. That unit is so fast to set up at a site. Once unhooked, push auto level. Raising the jacks and hooking up is also fast to go. Give it a try, you are going to be surprised.
Marc Daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Who was this dealer that told you to just push the slide from the inside? I want to make sure I don't go to that dealer if I need any maintenance in that area. At least you knew what to do and how to correct the problem. It sounds like the service department at your dealer needs to get some qualified techs to work on the units coming in.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #15
Guitarpicr
Established Member

M.O.C. #28483
Rondo - It is Midwest RV in St. Louis county. The service manager told me this, maybe she was thinking of a different slide system, I am not sure but a service manager should be wise enough to qualify a proper response before giving wrong advice, or find the right answer, IMHO. I have been doing HVAC work for 40 plus years & if I don't know an answer to a customers question I don't try to bs my way through it, I tell them I will check into it & get back to them with the correct answer asap. Most everyone appreciates that. Most intelligent folks can tell when they are getting a line of bs anyway, sorry for the rant, I'm done now ,lol

Marc - I will give that a try after I hook & unhook a few times I can see where it would be pretty quick with auto level mode. Right now it is all still too new to us. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #16
Guitarpicr
Established Member

M.O.C. #28483
Byron B. - You are right about that for sure. It is so much easier to try to fix it at your own home than to have to keep taking it back to the dealership where they may or may not get it fixed correctly anyway. On dealers behalf they did actually send a tech to our house the day after we picked up the rv and he tried to fix the slide in our driveway with no luck. So they sent out a truck the following day & picked up the rv & took it to the shop to repair same. They delivered it back to us a week later saying it was good to go, that is when this all started, with me trying to repair it myself. Lippert has great instructions on adjusting the slideouts on their website which was super helpful.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #17
Marc Daigle
Established Member

M.O.C. #17214
Auto level

Quote:
Rondo - It is Midwest RV in St. Louis county. The service manager told me this, maybe she was thinking of a different slide system, I am not sure but a service manager should be wise enough to qualify a proper response before giving wrong advice, or find the right answer, IMHO. I have been doing HVAC work for 40 plus years & if I don't know an answer to a customers question I don't try to bs my way through it, I tell them I will check into it & get back to them with the correct answer asap. Most everyone appreciates that. Most intelligent folks can tell when they are getting a line of bs anyway, sorry for the rant, I'm done now ,lol

Marc - I will give that a try after I hook & unhook a few times I can see where it would be pretty quick with auto level mode. Right now it is all still too new to us. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm sure you have done this, but, just a little caution. Move the truck away and give the RV room to dip down past level. They go down off level before they go back up to level.
Marc Daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #18
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:

The one thing we were told and have lived by is DO NOT open the slides when the trailer is attached to the truck. They can / will bind and get tweaked.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:35 AM   #19
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I don't think it matters if the trailer is attached to the truck. The important thing is that it is level before opening the slides. If you can get it level while attached, then you should be fine. Also, I would definitely put the jacks down for stability, but not auto-level. The auto-level function causes the nose to dip very low, then back up to level. That wouldn't work when hooked up.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
The one thing we were told and have lived by is DO NOT open the slides when the trailer is attached to the truck. They can / will bind and get tweaked.
X2. Great advise IMHO.