Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
jzbaker54

M.O.C. #29632
2022 F350 SRW Short Bed

I’m about to purchase a 2022 F350 SRW short bed to pull my new 2021 3121RL.
First time RVer. The RV dealer ( family owned/operated dealer ) mentioned to me that with the curved corners on my trailer, I probably wouldn’t need a slider hitch. He said I shouldn’t ever be needing to do a 90 degree turn and that this Montana should be able to be turned safely without a slider hitch despite the short bed.
Thoughts?
jzbaker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbaker54 View Post
I’m about to purchase a 2022 F350 SRW short bed to pull my new 2021 3121RL.
First time RVer. The RV dealer ( family owned/operated dealer ) mentioned to me that with the curved corners on my trailer, I probably wouldn’t need a slider hitch. He said I shouldn’t ever be needing to do a 90 degree turn and that this Montana should be able to be turned safely without a slider hitch despite the short bed.
Thoughts?
This should be a fun thread.

I agree , although I have towed now for several years with the Andersen hitch. Two different fifth wheels ,two different short bed trucks . Previous truck was the Ford Superduty 350 short bed , towed several years with an older Montana fifth wheel, not nearly the rounded front corners of the new ones, no issues , although at that time had a manual slider that I never used the slider.

Present truck Ram 3500 short bed , have towed the Montana ,and SOB with a much more rounded front corner ,both with the Andersen without issue. Ram trucks has the shortest of the three short beds , Ford being the longest . Anyway good luck with your choice .

My son also has a 2022 Ford Superduty 350 short bed diesel on order , I will also guide him into a Andersen. If I had any concern whatsoever I would not , last thing I want him to do is damage a new truck or fifth wheel .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post

Present truck Ram 3500 short bed , have towed the Montana ,and SOB with a much more rounded front corner ,both with the Andersen without issue. Ram trucks has the shortest of the three short beds , Ford being the longest . Anyway good luck with your choice .

... .
Actually, as of 2020+ Chevy is now the longest bed out there:

Chevy - 82.3"
Ford - 80.2"
Ram - 76.3"

Good or bad, the other thing that the 2020+ Chevy's have is that the gooseneck ball (if you're using something like an Andersen, B&W, Pullrite (3900)) is about a 2" behind the centerline of the axle, which gives you a little more clearance.

Here's a pic of our 2020 3500 SRW totally jackknifed (for illustration only). We have a Pullrite 3900. I do not believe that you can get to this point with a Ford, and for sure, not a Ram.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1632156649

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1632156883
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_190117.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	10206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_190109.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	10207  
Old 09-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
WOW!

That is IMPRESSIVE! My ram definitely would be destroyed by a jacknife like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

Chevy - 82.3"
Ford - 80.2"
Ram - 76.3"

Good or bad, the other thing that the 2020+ Chevy's have is that the gooseneck ball (if you're using something like an Andersen, B&W, Pullrite (3900)) is about a 2" behind the centerline of the axle, which gives you a little more clearance.

Here's a pic of our 2020 3500 SRW totally jackknifed (for illustration only). We have a Pullrite 3900. I do not believe that you can get to this point with a Ford, and for sure, not a Ram.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
That is IMPRESSIVE! My ram definitely would be destroyed by a jacknife like that.
Again, this is NOT something that I do on a regular basis, if at all. But, I wanted to know for sure that it would clear without hitting.

But, there is a big however: While it did make it to this point, it has to be on almost FLAT ground. If there was any elevation change between the truck and the trailer, you could and WOULD still hit the cab when you were backing if you were not paying attention.

It was important for me that I have a very tight turning radius too. We have a situation in our driveway, that in order to get turned around, I have to the have the cab of the truck right at the nose of the camper. IT IS VERY TIGHT. If we didn't have clearance, I could still turn around, but I would have to do it with several adjustments forward and backward, and I would have to pay attention not to hit the cab. I don't want one more thing to worry about when I'm backing or turning...
Old 09-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Chevy - 82.3"
Ford - 80.2"
Ram - 76.3"

Thanks for the clarification on bed lengths, didn't know GM went to a longer bed on their standard beds they call them these days , I still refer to them as a short bed .

Anyway I get a kick out of all these calculations ,and 90 degree talk. I have walked many campsites ,parking lots etc, guess that's the reason I am so sure about MY abilities to handle a fifth wheel without a slider .

To me its situational awareness ,some have it ,some don't . My advice get an automatic slider if you don't think you can handle these situations is all I can say.

There are many many out there having no issues with towing without a slider ,or with the Andersen. I am among those. I have been doing this for many years ,with four different fifth wheels ,and two different short bed trucks . But as said , its certainly not in everyones ability to handle a fifth wheel safely without a slider ,so as said by all means get a slider.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
This should be a fun thread.

I agree , although I have towed now for several years with the Andersen hitch. Two different fifth wheels ,two different short bed trucks . Previous truck was the Ford Superduty 350 short bed , towed several years with an older Montana fifth wheel, not nearly the rounded front corners of the new ones, no issues , although at that time had a manual slider that I never used the slider.

My son also has a 2022 Ford Superduty 350 short bed diesel on order , I will also guide him into a Andersen. If I had any concern whatsoever I would not , last thing I want him to do is damage a new truck or fifth wheel .
FYI : Found this is a previous post! From Keystone

Any Anderson Goose Neck Adapters installed after March 15, 2021, will not be eligible for warranty consideration. Proof of the date of the Anderson installation will be required as part of any claim submission.
For additional assistance, contact a Customer Service team:
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Probably is the operative word.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Probably is the operative word.
As with many things , you either tow with a automatic slider or a long bed ???
Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I agree and have been doing it for years.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
You can jackknife any combination if you turn tight enough. You can certainly jackknife a short bed easier. You can get by with a non slider in a short bed IF and that is a BIG IF you are extremely diligent in your maneuvering. You should be extremely diligent in maneuvering any combination. The best way to lessen your chances of jacking a short bed is an auto slider. If you get a manual slider there will be times that you think you should use it but either you’ll be too lazy or perhaps it’s raining, or sometimes you may find that it won’t slide due to being in a bind due to angle between truck and trailer. Better to make several stabs at backing in rather than make anywhere close to a 90* turn, which puts extreme stress on your trailer suspension, tires, and frame. I suspect that many of the suspension and tire failures you read about here have been initiated by over stressing them in backing maneuvers. I had a short bed with a manual slider for about 15 years and have now had an Andersen for 3 years. While I am EXTREMELY DILIGENT in my maneuvers, I know I am just one distracted moment away from an expensive repair. What level of risk you are comfortable with should drive your decision.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #12
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Your RV dealer sounds like that mortgage commercial: "we can probably afford this house". Those probably aren't killer bees, you can probably beat Dave Bautista, those are probably dolphins, etc.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Over 11 years of full timing and well over 100,000 miles and have needed my slider hitch at least a dozen times. It all depends on what you are planning on doing. We worked for fish and wildlife in the winter and got our rig into many places originally built for smaller rigs. We also go stuck in behind a major accident once on a two lane road and had the cop tell me we would have to wait hours since we couldn't "turn that thing around here". Big surprised look on his face when I did it. We wouldn't pull either of our Montana's, not even the smaller one, without our Pullrite.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
James,

I am sure you have heard the expression - "You can pay now or pay later"

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #15
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
First 5th. wheel from the early 2000's bought a slider.....used it only once in 10 years and that was with a Thor Jazz trailer with the old style squared off cap. Now with these newer trailers you can turn that thing literally 90 degrees without hitting your truck cab. I don't miss the heavy hitch in my bed. Just don't be this guy:

https://drivinvibin.com/2021/09/15/t...en-drive-thru/
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I am a software tester. When the software developers say "there will be no impact on (this or that)" that is ALWAYS where the problems happen. Same is true with any RV salesman. When they say, "You'll have not problems with (this or that)...." do you REALLY believe them?

About jack knifing. If you travel. I mean.... if you travel with your camper, and you visit different states, different campgrounds, different styles of camping, different locations, some familiar, some brand new .... you will eventually hit a campsite that requires a jack knife procedure to get into the campsite. Just like your standard 35 foot power cord will not be enough, nor will simply 10 feet of sewer hose. (IF) you travel, it will happen!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #17
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I am a software tester. When the software developers say "there will be no impact on (this or that)" that is ALWAYS where the problems happen. Same is true with any RV salesman. When they say, "You'll have not problems with (this or that)...." do you REALLY believe them?

About jack knifing. If you travel. I mean.... if you travel with your camper, and you visit different states, different campgrounds, different styles of camping, different locations, some familiar, some brand new .... you will eventually hit a campsite that requires a jack knife procedure to get into the campsite. Just like your standard 35 foot power cord will not be enough, nor will simply 10 feet of sewer hose. (IF) you travel, it will happen!
LOL. I don't disagree one bit! And, that's why I want either an automatic hitch, or clearance without thinking. If I have to pay attention and stop before crashing, or if I have to get out of the truck and engage "safe" mode on the hitch, then it's a matter of time before something "bad" happens, when you forget or don't realize that you are almost there...
Old 09-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #18
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
LOL. I don't disagree one bit! And, that's why I want either an automatic hitch, or clearance without thinking. If I have to pay attention and stop before crashing, or if I have to get out of the truck and engage "safe" mode on the hitch, then it's a matter of time before something "bad" happens, when you forget or don't realize that you are almost there...

That is the reason I went with the Andersen on my long bed. I watched a guy pull out from under his hitch and drop the trailer in the bed, forgot to put the jacks down, I don't want to think/remember to do a bunch of stuff if I can avoid it.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #19
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
When I had my Curt slider I had to us it a couple of time do to very tight area. Sense I’ve had my Companion I haven’t had to slide it do to how I had the head set just behind the axle. I’ve re-adjusted it to just in front of the axle for a better ride and shift some weight forward but this mite cause me to have to slide depending on the terrain.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:18 PM   #20
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
There are 3 bed lengths, 8', 6.5 and 5'. Are you referring to the 6.5' bed (standard) or 5' bed (short)? If you mean the 6.5' bed, you should be OK 95% of the time. It's that 5% that can give you problems. Just be careful, especially when backing into a tight space.

Also, be aware of "tail swing", when you are driving forward and turn right, the trailer tail also swings right.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote