Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
RV campgrounds on Military Bases.

I have looked at the RV park at Little Creek Amphib Base and At Dam Neck in Virginia Beach. They are OK and reasonable but often full with sailors ataying full time.

NAVSTA Mayport also has a decent RV park as well as Key West, but it is also often near full so call ahead.

Anyone else got any experiences with RV parks on Military bases?

Does anyone know if there is a directory for these?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are 6+ pages of military listings in the back of our 2004 Trailer Life directory. I do not know if it's as complete as you are looking for. If you are in a book store you might look at the TL directory to see if it has what you want. I do not know if there is a separate directory for military cg's or not. A big bookstore might carry something like that, especially if in a military area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We stayed at the NAVSTA Pensacola campground. It was acceptable but they were in the middle of renovations. They have RV and tent sites plus cabins. I think we paid $12 or $14 for full hookup. The only problem is when the Jets are doing ops they come right over the campground. While we were there they only flew a few hours during the day. We stayed at both the Navy campground in Key West and the Coast Guard Base in Marathon but that was years ago. Regardless, they were both inexpensive and great places to stay.

When we were up in Norfolk we too tried the base but it was full. We stayed at a KOA right down in Virginia Beach which was a really nice place. We were there during March for our son’s return onboard the USS Roosevelt returning from Afghanistan ops (they left 9/19/01 and returned 3/02). We were told by the KOA park host that during their on season reservations were required.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
RADHAZJOE,
Here is an online link to military bases.
[url="http://www.militaryliving.com/rvcamping/links.html"]
You can also pick up a book in the BX/PX that has this information in it. Some of the FAMCAMPS are supporting the active duty and I regret it but can not fault it. There are some nice keep secrets places out there. Alot were built many years ago like the state parks and due not support the bigger rigs or many full hookups.
Good luck and Semper Fi
MSGT/USMC/RET
4.5 years till full time.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The Army has the sites listed in Paths accross America.

http://www.armymwr.com/portal/travel/paths/green.asp

I stay at the Keesler Fam Camp in Biloxi quite a bit. But it is first come first serve and it is off base which makes it nice.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:13 AM   #6
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
RADHAZJOE, we stay at the Sea Mist Campground at Dam Neck, VA every summer. We take the fiver down right after school is out (Dave is a high school teacher/retired US Navy), stay a week and leave the fiver there until August. We go down every weekend (I take every Friday off) and throw in a week here and there. While there have been a few sites occupied by active duty personnel, the majority are used by folks like us. Sea Mist is quite small with only about 25 sites (manager lives in his TT in one of the sites), and has a small laundry room with 2 washers and dryers. Rest rooms are small but clean, 2 potty stalls and 2 shower stalls. Last year we met a Montana-owner who had his 3670 down there for the summer. MWR has opened a brand-new campground at NAS Oceana that is supposed to have all the bells and whistles, as well as room for big rigs. Haven't seen it yet, but will definitely check it out when we take the Monty down in June. If you get a chance to go there, stop by - we'll be open all summer!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
RADHAZJOE, we use FAMCAMPS fairly often, esp. for a day or two while going cross country. We are at Ft. Huachuca right now, and it is great..

Get the Mil RV Campground book mentioned in a post above. Lots of locations do not take reservations, but many do. We stayed at Sea Breeze (I think that was the name) at Virginia Beach last fall, and it was fine. Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio is good....lots of great places around.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #8
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
Are base stickers required to get on these military bases? Any place to get a base sticker for retired military?
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Yes, you need both a military I.D. and a base sticker to get on any military installation. Security is more strict than it used to be and we have to show our ID at the gate. If you need a base sticker, Hubby says that you need to go to the Security Police office, Pass and I.D. division. Once you have the decal on your truck, you can get on any unrestricted installation by showing your retired military I.D. Many of the campgrounds are on the base itself and others are located offbase. The latter are probably not as regulated as the base is but somewhere they will ask for identification. There is a book on military campgrounds but I can't tell you what the name is.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
The name of the Book for military rv sites is Military RV,Camping and Outdoor Recretaion around the world and they have it in most PX/BX stores in the book section
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #11
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Hi
Just thought I would update everyone coming to the Hampton Roads (Norfolk) Va area on Military camping parks. There are sites on Oceana NAS, Dam Neck, and Little Creek NAB. These are usually pretty full in season so call ahead. Check the base web sites for #'s.

But Fort Story usually has sites available, except some are smaller. Cheatam Annex near Yorktown also usually has some openings.

For everyone else and us vets, there is also Seashore state park on Shore drive. It also gets pretty full in season.

For golfers, the Little creek course I think is best, but Oceana has 36 holes and NOB the main Norfolk base has a nice course. Also, Cheatam Annex has a small but OK course and most are cheap.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:17 AM   #12
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
New update. Get confirmation in writing or an email, especially when dealing with Army camp grounds. They "lost" mine.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:15 AM   #13
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
We saw a neat place to camp at Jacksonville NAS called Pelican Roost, I think. I should check my new book that I bought there, the one Jackw87 mentioned. The sites were open but right on the St. John's River. They seemed to have an active clubhouse with WIFI and other amenities. And the PX, etc. were close. Lots of Snowbirds stop there during the spring and fall.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #14
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Update. We have had our 3400 at Fort Story three times now. The spots are very tight and some have overhanging limbs that will NOT clear Monty's top. Guess how I found out.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #15
Montana_828
Established Member

M.O.C. #828
Jacksonville NAS has a campground but with few amenities. Mayport NS has the Pelican's Roost and it is a wonderful campground with clubhouse, internet service (free) and many organized activities.
Montana_828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #16
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the update. Since I am retired from the USAF I plan on using some military rv parks.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:07 AM   #17
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
An update on some new military CGs.

West Point in North East of NYC, Round Pond. Very secluded. Only stayed one day. No sewer hookups, no cable. Otherwise, fine. You think you might not make it up the hill, etc. but OK. Caretaker is great and staff ok too. Caretaker says they are never full. $18.00 per day. Call ahead, pay ahead. Check RV camping book.

Hanscomb AFB. Kind of Rustic. $16 per night no sewer. $18 with sewer. Res. not avail but always room.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #18
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Ft. George Meade outside Baltimore just off 95. The best I have seen or heard about. Large sites, fairly wooded, a bit narrow but I bACKED IN ok AND IF i CAN BACK IN, ANYONE CAN. Bath house, lounge, gameroom, laundry, faboulous. Individual shower rooms with cypher locks on door. Huge showers. Large camp store and office. $20 per day with golden age pass.

Two beautiful golf courses. Ft. Meade clubd has Champagne brunch every sunday. Lovely new chapel. We will definitely return here someday. Close to MARC train to Wash and Balt. Only difficulty you have to go through truck inspection facility to get in and it is not built for manuevering large RV's. But don't let that hold you back. Call for res. Full hookups with cable (no phone). Internet tel line in lounge/bath house.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:41 AM   #19
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lazeejl

Are base stickers required to get on these military bases? Any place to get a base sticker for retired military?
Just go to any Military Installation with your ID card, drivers license and registration. Usually the decal office is in with the ID card section.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Just a tip" Due to 9/11 security stuff, many Bases have changed their entry procedures. Lots of concrete barriers which are difficult or impossible to snake a large rig through.

I really recommend calling ahead, at least one day, to the FAMCAMP office and ask about the best route and gate to use for entry with your rig. We have found several places where the Main Gate is not available at all for larger RVs. That sort of info may, or may not, have been updated in the Military RV,Camping and Outdoor Recreation book. Calling ahead will save you LOTS of aggravation and wasted time.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote