Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Conundrum...

Morning all. I am still one of the holdouts with the Marathons on my 2012 3402 with about 3000 miles on them. We are pretty much weekend campers with the exception of one 600 to 800 mile round trip over the summer for our "big vacation" to Idaho from the Seattle area. I have a TPMS system and check my tires before every trip and when we stop at rest areas. I have been very lucky over the years with this and other trailers, but I am starting to feel like I am "due" for something bad to happen. Been shopping around, but I am having trouble justifying the $350 a piece for the G614 because we don't put a lot of miles on our trailers(nobody around here seems to carry them so I have to have them shipped). I came across a website called "tires-easy.com" that has some to choose from and I am a bit interested in the Gladiator QR35 G rated tire that are $135 each with a $26 each shipping charge. Anyone have any info or opinions about either those tires or the website? Standing by to be flamed a bit for not wanting to spend the money on the super popular G614s. Thanks, Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
What tires you choose to put on your Montana and how much you pay for them is your business. G614s do enjoy a well deserved good reputation on the MOC but not everyone needs or can afford them. Members here are helpful bunch with varying experiences.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you are good with having tires shipped to you or your tire installer, check out the Sailun 637. I would have installed these a couple years ago if I had more time, but went with the G614's as they were available quicker. The Sailuns seem to be equivalent to the Goodyears, and much less expensive.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have always run LT Tires, Firestone TransForce, watch my air pressure and keep it at 65. No Blowouts. No issues. I was tempted to go with the 614s with the new rig, with the heavier weight, but went with the Firestones again. Have pulled the 2015 from NC to Bar Harbour Maine, and down here to Florida and all was good. I will stick with the Firestones. If the wife pushes me to anything heaver however, I will have to go with G-Load tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I am also a weekend camper right now, with one big trip every year. I went the the G614's mainly because GY gave me some credit for my Marathons. I still had to swallow hard when writing the check, however. There are alternatives to the G614 if you want to go G rated. The Sailuns mentioned earlier are getting good reviews as are the Geostars. I can't speak for either of these, just what I've read. I've never heard of the Gladiators or that web-site. And if you travel light, LT tires could be an option. Either way you go is better than chancing the Marathons, in my opinion.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hey Glen,"Note to Self"Go to Les Schwab and checkout Geostar G rated G574's 14 ply,#3750 lb rating 110psi Full Warranty AND they gave me 70 bucks a piece for the marathons,out the door price was 900 and change and piece of mind,I have been all over the Western US on all kinds of roads and weather and love them,I had them on my 2012 3402RL and Had Tacoma RV transfer them to my 2015 when I bought it and told them to keep the E rated Trailer kings,By the way my friend with a SOB has them with same good results and if you ever have any problems with them there is as you know darn near 2 Les Schwab's in every city/town in the West
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I sold my Marthons on Craigslist for $300.00 with 6,000 miles on them. Helps defray costs. Lots of calls and sold them in three days !
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep I was told by Les Schwab that the Farmers love them for their Hay hauling trailers and they have no problem selling them
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Really need to weigh the rig to see if a LT tire will work for you. I was able to use LT tires and went with Bridgestone Duravis R250. A all steel tire, weighs 59lbs, (same weight as a G614)

I sold the Marathon take off's on Craig's List for $350, so final price was about $650 for 4 R250's.

I have had them for almost 2 years, about 9-10K miles and they show no wear.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks folks, giving me some other ideas...

By the way, I hate the feeling of being "due" for a tire failure. Just like I have heard folks say "you have either dropped a fifth wheel or you will drop a fifth wheel". I am super careful about that and try not to let anyone interrupt my hitching or unhitching routine. -Glenn

Jimmy- we were up at Fort Worden this past weekend and I really like how the 2012 F450 I bought last weekend pulls in comparison to my 2008 F450. Night and day difference in just 4 years of truck manufacturing.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Dang Glen I even wish I had your 2008 little alone your 2012 f450 ,I am towing mine with a 2003 Dually Duramax and it does a fine job but you would Blow my freak'in doors off going up Snoqualmie Pass with that BEAST,by the way Fort Warden is a cool place to Camp
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Thanks folks, giving me some other ideas...

By the way, I hate the feeling of being "due" for a tire failure. Just like I have heard folks say "you have either dropped a fifth wheel or you will drop a fifth wheel". I am super careful about that and try not to let anyone interrupt my hitching or unhitching routine. -Glenn

Jimmy- we were up at Fort Worden this past weekend and I really like how the 2012 F450 I bought last weekend pulls in comparison to my 2008 F450. Night and day difference in just 4 years of truck manufacturing.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #12
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Jimmy, I really like the 450s to tow with. The only "problem" I had towing was that it is so quiet and smooth my speed kept creeping up and I had to pay attention. I will just have to get used to it. I just called Les Schwab about those G574s. They can get them for me with an "out the door price" of $1235 (balanced and mounted). I don't know if I need the balance or not on a trailer tire. That is something I have always fought with myself about on a trailer tire. They also did not know (over the phone which is understandable) if they would buy my Marathons from me. -Glenn
Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
My G574's are not balanced Glen and neither were my old Marathons from the factory on my old 3402RL and I have had no problems ,as far as the trade in goes if they are still in good shape and not many miles I see no reason they would not, after Les Schwab up in Sequim saw mine they said they will take them no problem if they won't craigslist like Artemus said 300 bucks either way
Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Glenn, I was told by a tire guru that the tires on the Monte really needed balancing especially if we would be using them on long haul trips down to AZ and the like with this rig. I had a tire problem when I had a new axle put on the old unit and the axle company that put it on down in Texas told me to have the tires balanced because they will run longer and wear less if they are balanced. I also had the alignment checked on the Monte when I came back from the Texas trip and it was out some too so that all was taken care of in one fell swoop at an axle shop up here in Omaha. I also have a nephew that is in the tire business and he definitely recommends the balancing of the tires no matter what they are on. Of course he is in the tire business and when selling new tires to someone always balances them for free before installing them. It's all up to you with personal choice but you have my two cents on the situation if that is worth anything! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Jimmy and Rondo. You guys have a great day!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #16
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep Rondo is right some folks would never consider Not balancing them,like he said personal choice.....You have a good day too
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I stayed with the Marathons for about 18 months. Every time I hooked up I was expecting an explosion the entire trip. I went with the GY614 over "off" brands mainly for the warranty. I've read several stories of GY stepping up and taking responsibility when the 614s do fail. It is nice to tow without constant tire worry (yes it can still happen but hopefully much less likely).
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We were lucky enough to have our Goodyear Marathons for about 6 years and was VERY meticulous about keeping the air pressure checked and this was after trade up from the Mission bombs (that company no longer does STs and they might even be out of business because of it). Fortunately, most of the air checking was at the stickhouse on the driveway since we rarely went out on trips. Then we decided to full time and the first major thing we did was get Maxxis tires based on the MOC tire guy (LonnieB) who recommended them some time ago. I still check the air religiously and they are holding up very well, and in our full-timing trips we try and treat them right (80 PSI, never over 65 mph, avg 55-60 mph, keep a log of trip miles, no curb cutting, stay on paved roads, etc.)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #19
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Hi Glenn...I too was a hold out on the Marathons on my 2012 3750FL. I am also a weekend camper. I have not done any long trips as of yet. So far all my trips have been within a 60 to 70 mile radius of my home.

Like you I checked the tire pressures on my marathons before the start of every trip to and from the camp grounds. I never exceeded 65 MPH and most of my travels have been on local roads not Highways. Because I thought I wasn't "stressing" my tires I was safe for now. I was wrong. Returning from my last trip driving on a local road with traffic lights the right rear tire blew. I was lucky, I was able to quickly pull to the shoulder with no damage. I now have g614's on the camper with TPMS waiting for my next trip. I did have them balanced.

I know the tires are expensive I too didn't want to spend the money. I look back on how lucky I was and also how very stupid I was for risking my safety and possibly the safety of other on the road because I didn't want to spend $900.00 to replace tires that we know are going to fail. We spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy our campers then we look to save a few hundred dollars on one of the most, if not the most, important safety items on our campers.

Don't risk the safety of you or your family to save a few bucks. I did and only by the grace of God I was lucky my tire blew when and where it did and I got away with just a flat. No injuries or damage at all.

Buy good tires and don't look back. It only hurts for a few minutes when you pay but it goes away quickly and is replaced with peace of mind that stays with you for thousands of miles ahead.

Sorry to be so dramatic but sometimes that's what we need to make us think. If you want to save money buy cheaper beer... not tires.

OK I'm getting off my soap box now.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 AM   #20
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks David, Art and Dmax. More food for thought and very well put Dmax (even though I don't drink beer)