Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #21
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I have the TST 507 with the flow thru sensors on all the tires on my TV and camper including the spare tires (12 sensors total). Do not install them on rubber valve stems. Per the manufactures instructions you need metal valve stems.

I did not listen. Since my truck was new at the time (2012) I didn't want to risk damaging my new aluminum wheels to have metal valve stems installed. So I installed the flow thru sensors on my factory rubber valve stems thinking it should be OK because I had the high pressure rubber valve stems. I was wrong.A few months later I got a flat on my inside rear wheel due to valve stem failure. It failed right where the valve stem comes thru the wheel because of the weight of the sensor and centrifugal force bending the rubber stem back and forth.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #22
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
For anyone reading this who does not have pressure monitors here is a story that will make you thing the investment is worth it.
I was walking my dog after arriving at my camp ground for the night. I walked past the office just as a rig arrived to register. The passenger side rear tire was completely shredded. I caught the driver's eye as he got out and expressed my awe at the damage . He walked around the car to join me on that side and was as shocked as I. He had no idea that anything was wrong! Over the past 3 years I have been warned of low pressure long before it became a problem thanks to my monitor.
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote