Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
BigSkys
Established Member

M.O.C. #10086
Full Timing Insurance?

Hello, I have gotten rid of the old stick house and am now living full time in the Montana, we are not traveling around the country jet, wife is still working. What I am wondering is what type of insurance I can get for full time in RV, something that is reasonably priced? Thank you for any info.
Harold

BigSkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Harold,
I have no idea about rates in your area. If you purchase an RV policy, there are 2 things that you should consider that are different from weekend vs full time insurance.

1. Liability insurance. This can be added to a full-timer RV policy. It is usually inexpensive to add so get quotes for higher limits. If you carry a personal umbrella, the liability that you had on your home will be replaced by the RV policy so make sure you have sufficient limits.

2. Personal Property coverage. This is coverage for your contents that was covered by your home insurance. Take an inventory with respects to replacement cost of what you have. Add replacement cost coverage to your RV policy with sufficient limits to replace your possessions.

Hope that helps get you started,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used National Interstate Insurance for seven years now and they have been excellent... They really know about full time RVer's.. The price will vary with where you live.. When we started out we had South Dakota for our domicile but later became Floridians.. We pay twice as much in Florida as we did in South Dakota because of the statics in the States.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also have National Interstate and are very pleased at how they handled our claim when we blew out the side of a slide when a tire blew out last year. They took care of payment so I didn't have to pay and then be reimbursed.

Fulltimer's insurance is a rider on that policy. It is basically liability insurance, similar to liability on your homeowner's policy. Also much like a renter's liability policy. It covers you in liability situations, including if someone gets hurt on your rv park site and decides to sue you because they tripped over your power cord or something.

I don't recall the exact cost of the fulltimer's rider but it's not very much.

Brenkco has it right. When we had a home we had a rider on our truck policy that covered the fifthwheel for damage and liability while towing. Our homeowner's policy covered theft, liability, hail damage, etc. Once we sold the home we lost those features and would not have been covered when in an RV Park. So we got a policy with National Interstate for those features that used to be covered by our homeowner's policy. We also added the Fulltimer's rider, which is essentially liabilty, like you had with the homeowner's policy or renter's insurance. You will need that liability coverage if someone trips over your power cord and decides to sue you. Or for any number of reasons. As Brenkco said, the rider is inexpensive. Cost of the main policy will depend on the usual insurance factors including state of legal residence, value of the rig, insurance options/limits/deductibles you choose, etc.. In our case, our Montana is a 2007. Last February I paid our annual premium of $780. We have the five-year free full replacement option and some riders on electronics and other things. Our legal residence is South Dakota.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your new fulltimer status.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Agree with other posters about liability insurance for fulltimers. We use American Modern Insurance and the total bill is about $512 a year, don't quote me on that though. We have yet to file a claim with them in 4 years of travelling. Hopefully it will stay that way!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Phil,

Out of curiosity, I thought I would get a quote from American Modern (we are with National Interstate). I got as far as
we can't insure any RV over 34 feet in length. Interesting that yours is insured.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
That is strange, I have been with them for the last 4 years and nothing has been said about my 38 foot fiver. Don't know what to tell you.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Disregard any pricing you get on here unless you live in the same state as the quoter. Pricing for the same company differs in each state and sometimes in each county or parish of the state. You have to get your quotes where you domicile and then you can compare them. Even then you have to compare real coverage to see if you are comparing apples to apples on benefits.

I have Foremost for full timer's coverage. When I compared different companies for the same coverage, they were all within a few dollars of each other. Not all companies sell full timer's coverage even though they claim to insure RV's, so you have to grill your salesman.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Agree with everything Stiles says... Like I said, the same insurance with the same coverage doubled when we changed from South Dakota to Ocala Florida.. Something to do with the weather..

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I write for American Modern and have run into legnth restrictions only for Motorhomes. The max they write is 34'. At least in California, the legnth of a fiver or TT is not an issue.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Where I had ther problem was moving from Mi. to SD. Rates went up approx. $400.00 per yr for the fulltiming through Progressive. It was my understanding that it should be lower with SD being ranked 47th out of the 50 in the list of states? Something about a vacation rider we must have. Going to be looking more into this in the very near future.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Where I had ther problem was moving from Mi. to SD. Rates went up approx. $400.00 per yr for the fulltiming through Progressive. It was my understanding that it should be lower with SD being ranked 47th out of the 50 in the list of states? Something about a vacation rider we must have. Going to be looking more into this in the very near future.

Dave
Re Progressive. I read this on another forum, checked it out to be true, and will be cancelling my RV insurance with Progressive. Google or Bing Progressive's chairman, Peter Lewis, that's all I needed to know.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Red939
Re Progressive. I read this on another forum, checked it out to be true, and will be cancelling my RV insurance with Progressive. Google or Bing Progressive's chairman, Peter Lewis, that's all I needed to know.
I assume you realize Peter Lewis stepped down from his role as Progressive insurance's CEO in 2000, so he now is neither an executive of that company nor involved in its day-to-day management and you have read *ALL* of the available analysis (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/peterlewis.asp). But do what you need to. Will you be unloading that Government Motors vehicle at the same time?

That last time this subject came up the thread was locked quicker than you can say "inflammatory hit piece". I expect no less this time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Ok I spent a little time with Progressive on the phone. Here is the explanation that I got from there call center. The reason my fulltimers went up is due to more than one fact but the biggest being there are more claims in SD than there is in MI. Now that to me makes sense as there are a lot of fulltimers out of SD. And also I believe I said it went up $400.00 per year and I was wrong there also because I thought the policy was for six months when in fact its a yearly contract. After listening to them and the reasoning it made a lot more sense to me. Not that I won't look for a better deal because I will. But I thought it only right to give everyone the explanation I recieved.

Dave
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, it's been a few years since our agent searched for the best deal for us. But what he found was National Interstate for the fifthwheel and fulltimers and Progressive for the truck and car. We're still with that setup. What I'm saying is you may be able to beat Progressive's price.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Dave, it's been a few years since our agent searched for the best deal for us. But what he found was National Interstate for the fifthwheel and fulltimers and Progressive for the truck and car. We're still with that setup. What I'm saying is you may be able to beat Progressive's price.

Thanks Steve, deffinately will do some pricing. Need to go with an agent that can look for the best. Thinking maybe Dougherty would be the right way to go.

Dave
Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #17
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
I have not used them, but these folks have done well by other forum members. That's why I had it bookmarked.

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, Dougherty (John) is our agent.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #19
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Steve

Waiting for Dougherty on there quotes. Just spoke with them yesterday and gave them all our info. Waiting for the email to let us know the numbers.

Carl

Will give them a chance also. Just looking for the best deal with the right coverage.

Thanks all.

Dave
Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #20
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Just recently my 5er ins (05 3400RL) come due and found out I'm paying the same value I did when I got it. When I bought it, it was insured for $48,000.00 what I paid for it.
Several years later I'm still paying for a 48,000.00 5er. The replacement cost would be alot less now. Haven't gotten the answere I want yet, I'm with SafeCo Ins. Guess I have to call the main Company Headquarters
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote